3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting Button Bucks  (Read 3424 times)

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting Button Bucks
« on: October 23, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
I have always struggled with this.  I have never shot a deer with my bow and this is my 14th hunting season.  I had a button buck at less than 10 yards hunting from the ground last night and I let him walk.  I just couldnt bring myself to drop the string knowing he was a button buck.  

So I am curious what some of you think about this.  I am by no means out for only big deer seeing how I can't even seem to pull it together with a small one or a doe for that matter.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting Button Bucks
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »
No issue with me, if it's brown, it's down!

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 09:31:00 AM »
Tim  Shoot you a deer man,good eating and you will not ruin the herd if you do.You still have to make a good shot and trail them and find them and that experience is almost as fun as seeing the arrow enter them  for me.I have killed my share of deer and not quite as mad at them as I use to be at 58 years.I passed on some and spikes as rules require on one area I hunt but on my property I let young hunters and first kill go for it and I would shoot one also if needed for the freezer.I didn't vote b/c it was either or and I would make up my mind at the time of shot.Kip

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
Fawns of the year, including button bucks, are the most likely to succomb to the factors of life of any in the herd.  Especially in an "up north winter" setting.     We used to have a lot of ideas about how to manage a deer herd and some of those ideas have changed or are changing.

I personally have shot botton bucks and likely will again.  If I have a choice of an adult doe, I will take her instead, cause there is more meat.   You make the choice.

I suggest that if you are having some problem "gettin er done" for any reason,   maybe consider committing to just shooting the next deer that comes by (that presents a reasonable shot opportunity).  

That way there is no concern over what it is...... it is just "next".  It is worthy of your arrow because it is "next".

Do that a few times and THEN worry about what you will or won't shoot.  Deer are nutritious and delicious, but you gotta kill one before you get to eat it (unless you are a wolf... then you get to eat it while it is still alive and watching you).

Shoot straight and pick a spot.
ChuckC

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 09:36:00 AM »
I'm in the same boat as far as you when it comes to taking deer with my bow but I would still let him walk.   I'm not a trophy hunter and I don't "need" the meat enough to take such a young buck.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
Button bucks are off limits as well as small bucks 125 or less,except our kids they can take what they want.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
I wouldn't have any problem at all if I were you Tim.  Like Chuck said, get a few before you start trying to be selective.  

That being said, I am fortunate to hunt an area that is blessed with a very good deer population.  I know that if I am patient I will have other opportunities, so I let the buttons walk.  But your situation is completely different, and your decisions should not be influenced at all by what I or anyone else chooses to do.

Drop the string next time buddy!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »
The button buck that you let go this year will be a forked horn or so next year.  And the year after that he will become a 6 or eight point if the genetics and nutrition are there.  The only difference in the deer is the size of his antlers and the size of his body.  It is still the SAME deer.  Unless you are trying to build up a herd because of low numbers in the area or you are trying to grow "trophy" bucks, then I see no reason not to shoot the BB whether it is this year or in 2 years.  

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
I generally shoot the first deer that gives me the oppertunity. Over the years some of these have been button bucks but I've never knowingly shot one. I'm always disapointed when I shoot a small doe that turns out to be a BB. I would prefer to let them grow a bit but at 15-20 yrds, you can't always tell. At the same time, I don't loose any sleep over killing one either.

I butcher my deer myself and try to avoid the real small ones because they're just as much work to butcher as the larger ones but, you only get 1/2 the meat.

If you haven't killed a deer yet then by all means, shoot the first one you can regardless of size or sex. Get one under your belt, then you can get picky after that. JMHO,

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »
Mostly I will let them walk, But they are so tasty.  Most areas I hunt I get one deer a Year, I usually make it count. I much rather spend time in the woods doing the hunting.

Blueline
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Whip:
[qb] I wouldn't have any problem at all if I were you Tim.  Like Chuck said, get a few before you start trying to be selective.  

My first bow kill was a button buck.  :D
Gal. 2:20 Let Jesus Live

Offline Longbow rookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
As said above: My first kill ever was two weeks ago and it was a button buck...I have a freezer full of delicious meat and the experience of a kill under my belt.  Now, I'll go out and be more selective.

Just my opinion...Christian

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »
You did the right thing ------ I see there isn't a huge difference in the % of hunters who would "shoot" and the % who would "pass"  Truth is today most hunters can hunt enough places to make either choice AND benefit the deer. Clubs, Public Land and any large area - particularly wild areas DON'T Shoot. Use your binoculars - there is NO satisfaction in it - I don't care how long a guy has been hunting - if it that bad come hunt with me - I will put you on deer other than buttons - bottom line is they are fawns - the most vulnerable. But if a guy will hunt Urban Units - edges of Parks - edges of school yards - behind a church -- ALL deer in these areas should be taken (button fawns included) - better in your freezer than dead on the side of the road.
<>< <------------------<<<<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
When you are hunting plubic land any deer goes down. I am hunting said land and havn't seen a deer this year.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline BroMark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »
To me it is the same deer whether you shoot it today as a nub as it would be three years from now as a racked buck.
Blood bought - twice born - heaven bound!

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
Thanks for all the comments so far guys.  Pretty close to even and some very valid points for each side.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
Sorry but the question is too simplistic and assuming to be able to be answered.

My answer is someplaces "yes", some placees "no".

If I am hunting an area that needs lots of deer reduction then "yes" but most other places "no".

That said, if you haven't shot a deer in 14 years then by all means drop the string!

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
With the deer population here in CT you shoot what you see, then go get a replacement tag if available for the area you're hunting.  Population control at this point is more important than getting the "shooter" buck.

For the last few years in my area I could take an unlimited number of animals on private land... now if only I had the time to hunt!  

The little ones taste better anyway.  I had some ribs the other year from one that still had spots when on the hoof... finger-lickin' good!
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 11:56:00 AM »
I wouldn't worry what others think.  You have to make the decision that is right for you.  Personally I don't shoot at the obviously young/small deer down here in Texas because they can really move quickly which increases the chances of a botched shot and a wounded deer.

I shot a young doe several years ago through the paunch because she jumped the string.  Took me about 16 hours to recover her and in the process of tracking her I jumped her twice.  Just made me feel bad that she had to suffer so much.

So now I only shoot at big slow bucks LOL

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 12:00:00 PM »
Im surprised how many people shoot button bucks. I dont understand the logic
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©