3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting Button Bucks  (Read 3425 times)

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting Button Bucks
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
deer "management" to me is if i can "manage" to put an arrow in the vitals....im not picky...Tim, you just passed up some prime venison..
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »
I have shot a few buttons by accident. One was off the ground, at ShrewHaven, where we have a strict 6 point or better rule....think I was looking forward to telling Ron? He just shrugged and said something like "accidents happen meathead, was it a clean kill?"

I would never shoot a button on purpose, but the world won't come crashing if you choose to.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
Leatherneck.  lighten up dude.  

I practice shooting at targets too, but I guess I need to get me some of those targets that your club must have that make me get all nervous and excited and buck feverish.  Up till now I've had to practice my composure on real animals.  

As I recall, nothing was said about trophy status or worthiness or anything like that, but I am guessing that 99% of folks will get more nervous if a large gnarly buck walks by than if a doe walks by.   Maybe not.

Anyway.  there is no sin in shooting a button buck, unless the club rules forbid it.  Then there is no choice except hunt elsewhere.
ChuckC

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
I would have no problem shooting it.
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline Plug

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
Really whether or not you shoot a BB is kinda moot.

Nothing personal but if it has been 14 years you need a new game plan and whether or not you shoot at BB's will matter some but not much.

Either you're hunting where they ain't or you need better methods or both.

But most likely you need to find a place with more deer that are less pressured.  Having lots of deer around you will hone your methods and break the ice.

Find some place with more huntable deer.

Offline Greg in Delton MI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
As a first deer with a bow, I would never judge anyone harshly, however I consider Button Bocks gift deer for those who never have killed a deer with a bow. After you take your first you should consider button bucks a once in a lifetime tagging.

JMHO,
Greg
Greg

Long as I can pull this bow
Long as I can hike the hills and walk among the trees
I keep on trying
My goals are high but I don't care
The fun is in the getting there, it justifies the end
So try, try again

Mark Baker, "Feathers thru the Wind"

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
I voted no, but I don't see anything wrong with it, especially for a first deer. I'd much rather shoot a doe than a button buck and there are usually quite a few doe around the property I hunt.

But, if I was in an area with few deer and there just weren't many opportunities, or if I had never shot a deer yet, or possibly on public land if the season was winding down, I wouldn't hesitate.

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »
I wouldn't shoot one myself because I pay a flat fee to have my deer processed whether they are 40lbs or 100lbs. I usually try to take mature does for this reason. I also am fortunate to get a good amount of opportunities. I heard someone make the statement here recently " I never have once regretted NOT dropping the string" I think its one of the most profound statements I've read here. If "you" are unsure then maybe "you"  shouldn't.  No one here can make the right decision for you.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
I killed one this year, I try not to shoot them but it happens. Tim, in your case shoot them, shoot every deer you legally can. Get ten or fifteen under your belt and than woory about being selective. I will say this a button bucks meat will be the best ya ever eat from a buck, because once they hit 1.5 yeras old all is down hill in the meat department. Shawn
Shawn

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »
Quite simple for me,, Ya only die once,, Ya can't kill em Big,, If ya kill em Small,, and No,, I don't have Private Land with Lots of deer on it to hunt ... But that's just me ... Good Luck ...

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »
Your out there to shoot a deer, after 14 seasons SHOOT!!!! If it's legal shoot it!
I voted no, but then I normally average 3-5 deer a year. If the freezer is low, I fill it; then get selective.
Do what you are out there to do, then you can get choosy. Trophy deer are nice but all deer create memories, and after 14 seasons you are way behind on memories.
Shoot one, then sit and watch them if you want.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »
I'd say it's past time to break the ice Tim. 14 years is too long to still be choosy. Get one under your belt then try for a bigger one the next time(which can only happen after the first time). What others would do is for them to decide. The first one will taste so good regardless what you get.    ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
14 years   :scared: ......SHOOT!!....No, wait a minute....pick a spot.....settle in.....stay calm.....now...   :readit:    :thumbsup:

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
My answer Is kind of Hipocritical.  While I voted let them walk I have honestly Shot a button buck.  It was last year and my First deer with a long bow.  I was going to pass him up when my hunting partner who was in the tree next to me said.... It's your First... You almost have to!"  It was the first and ONLY thing to come into range all year so I shot  I didnt realize it was a button buck till I retrieved him I was just thinking it was a doe, while I was waiting for something with antlers.  So my real answer is.... If it's your first....You might want to take the shot, It was very rewarding. But From hear on out... They walk, and get the chance to be majestic!

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »
Dont have a problem with it, its just easy to get within shootin distances around the places I hunt.(Of a young doe that is) Ever once in a while the kids will shoot a button buck during gun season/ youth hunts, and I always kinda feel bad. I think it has to do with the fact my mouth starts watering when a young doe gets close! LOL.
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2008, 01:13:00 AM »
very intertesting to vote and see the poll on this - and to read all the comments

you post this on a main stream Bowhunting board and it would be I'd bet 90%-10% against shooting them, maybe more

QDM and the love of horns have changed everything in the past 5-10 years

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2008, 02:02:00 AM »
I normaly shoot.....

1) Bucks

(bigger the better,but a good shot at a spike doesn't get passed up)

2)Button Bucks

3)Doe Fawns

4)Mature Does

I actualy hate to shoot mature does.I believe they posess good survival instincts to help thier fawns make it through the first few months of thier life.Once the rut kicks in,the mature bucks(and does)drive away the fawns hanging with thier mother when she comes into heat.Then they are just wandering around aimlessly,fair game for coyotes,cars,hunters,and the elements.I once found a little Button Buck curled up in a ball on the edge of a field.....he was FROZEN SOLID!!!!! There had been an ice storm the night before,and the little buck didn't have the sense to go down over the bank into the thick pines (about 100yards) to get out of the storm.

I shoot any fawn that gives me a good shot.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2008, 02:35:00 AM »
I voted to shoot them as I was looking at it from what I would do in your shoes.

I once heard someone say that "NOTHING teaches you how to be a bowhunter or how to kill a deer better than actually killing a couple of deer."

I like to think that I could be a "selective" bowhunter and let small bucks pass but honestly, hunting public land where I may only get one to three or so real shot opportunities in a season I could go either way on personally shooting a button buck.  The later it is in the season with an empty freezer, the more likely I would be to take advantage of whatever deer gave me a shot.  I've never yet killed a button buck with the bow but I've shot a few with the rifle not knowing they were b.b's until they were down and it never bothered me a bit.

p.s.  I only read the first page of this so if I'm repeating on others, sorry.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2008, 03:10:00 AM »
I answered 'yes' because I would. I have turned down a whole lot of shots this year because the moment was not right; and too I wanted to hunt more ! Shooting a deer is a personal decision; and some days you will only take a big buck; and others a doe- heck - its about the shot !

If you don't want to take the shot- then don't- its YOUR decision.

The argument about how big it will be is based on: IF it does not die of some other cause ~before~ it gets big.

If you shoot a big buck; it may have been about to father a record book buck from a doe it was about to breed.

If you shoot a doe; it could hold a trophy buck fetus in it- that might have grown to be a big huge opprotunity for you some day.

If you don't shoot the button buck; it may eat up the food that makes the big buck that you saw once- not survive the winter...

It could be an inferior deer that will grow and inseminate the doe- that could have fathered a buck from a trophy buck...

another words:  take the shots you want to take; and do not take the shots you don't want to take.

If your hunting to feed someone elses ego- then rethink why your in the woods anyway.

:campfire:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2008, 05:12:00 AM »
There is more than enough button bucks to go around, fill your tag. Around here when gun season arrives guys are shooting everything they can including button bucks, I see them laying dead on the side of the road all the time, my opinion has always been shoot them and enjoy the experience and the great meat.      This one was my first trad kill I already have two deer down this year but if a button gets in range I would not hesitate to put it in the freezer, for me it's all about personal enjoyment and feeding my family, I spend a lot of time and money doing this trad thing I need to offset the cost by providing food for the table.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©