3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting Button Bucks  (Read 3426 times)

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting Button Bucks
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2008, 06:12:00 AM »
The fact that you are struggling with the decision suggests that maybe you should review just why you could not bring yourself to drop the string.

Anyone who thinks you can implement some kind of QDM on unlimited access public land is living a pipe dream.  

The dumbest deer in the woods is a two year old buck in November.  Do the horns matter that much?  If they do, you better hold out for a 4 year old, otherwise, the decision to pass doesn't really accomplish a thing.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2008, 07:29:00 AM »
Tim – regardless of what anyone says…..shoot the next couple of deer you get a chance at. It’s easy to get high and mighty with several kills under their belt. The first deer I killed was a button buck, and for the first 10 years of hunting, I never even gave it a thought. I shot the first deer I had a chance at. After that, you can get selective, but gaining experience won’t hurt your herd, or make you less of a hunter.

Imagine how many buttons get killed by gun hunters every year? Cars? You killing one will make zero difference to the herd, and a big difference to you.

My son’s first deer was a button also, and we had the skull mounted European style. It’s a great mount and a great memory. Drop the string.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »
Here is my take on the situation of shooting or not shooting a button buck.  In that state of Indiana we have had manditory check in all of all a deer harvests for many years so there are some great records.  I was just looking at statistics from 1987 to 2000.  Over those years there were about equal number so BB as doe fawns harvested (11 to 15 percent of the total deer harvest).  During that time period we could harvest two bucks per hunter, one in archery and one with firearms. This lead to alot of hunters shooting smaller bucks for their second buck versus holding out for a quality buck.  

Around about 2000 the state DNR instituted the "one buck rule" which allowed a hunter to take only one antlered buck during the course on any season in the hopes of increasing our buck quality.  BBs are still counted as antlerless.  With the one buck rule hunters have been holding out longer for a quality buck and passing on the scrubs.  Hunter surveys and my personal experience shows that we are seeing more bucks and better quality bucks because of this rule.  The percentage of button bucks being harvested hasn't changed over this time period.  It is also interesting to note that over this time our deer harvest numbers have increased, our percentage of bucks harvested have stayed about the same.  From a QDM stand point it makes more sense to control the antlered bucks that you harvest versus worring about button bucks.
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2008, 08:25:00 AM »
Guys thanks again for all the insight.  By no means is this about QDM or a trophy to hang on the wall.  When I had the deer at less than 10 yards I drew down picked a spot and something just told me not to do it.  Driving home that night and reliving the experience I regreted not dropping the string.  So I guess the moral is we all have to live with the decisions we make whether right or wrong.  Will I shoot a BB if one walks by this weekend?  I cant answer that right now.  For me it seems to be a spur of the moment decision whether or not to release that arrow.  

I have hunted 14 years with a bow and have never once regreted not taking deer.  I have had numerous opportunities to take deer that I felt good about but for one reason or another it didnt work out.  I hunt just for the pleasure of being in the woods and taking in what God created.  Seeing deer or even taking deer is just icing on the cake.  

Thanks again for taking the time to let me know your view points.  Good luck on the rest of your seasons and shoot straight.  

Tim
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2008, 08:45:00 AM »
First of all I wont say that I havent shot them, to my knowledge I have shot 2 in fact.  One was a mercy kill on a wounded button buck that I was unable to even salvage any meat from the other was a mistake on my part.  That being said I find no problem specifically with shooting them for the table.  I discourage it on my lease because I feel that every button buck I can see through to adulthood the better.  I know that I will probably not see that particular buck on my lease once he is an adult since he will be run off to find his own  territory once he reaches sexual maturity but it a personal choice for me to do it this way.  

On the pro side of the argument they are the most likely not to survive their first year, you probably wont get to see them on your property as adults (as mentioned above), they are really easy to drag out of the woods and they are darn tasty.

It comes down to personal choice like many of our decisions while out in the field, let your conscience guide you.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2008, 08:59:00 AM »
Let's try to understand that we should be conservative about applying provincial points of view on a global basis.  The deer herd in one area of the country is vastly different from the deer herd in another.  I have killed a pile of deer with gun and bow and only two would meet the minimum criteria for bucks that some of you have posted.  A 115 inch eight point gets a lot of attention in most areas that I hunt.

There is nothing wrong with shooting a button buck.  Nothing.  If you want to shoot one then do it.

I think that if you have never shot a deer then you should shoot a button buck and be proud as punch about it. Furthermore, everybody in the hunting fraternity should be happy for you. Most of us evolved to a mind-set of passing on young deer after we had already killed a bunch of them ourselves.  We tend to forget that.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
My QDM comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular.  Just my own thoughts on the subject.

I personally believe as a hunter, you are responsible to be a part of the management system.  What that means is entirely dependent on where and what you hunt.

Everyone hunts for their own reasons and we're all free to set our own personal goals.  A scrub to one may be the trophy of a lifetime to someone else.

I will say this though, if you have not killed a big game animal with a bow, you really do not yet know what it is to be a bowhunter.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2008, 09:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by Molson:
I will say this though, if you have not killed a big game animal with a bow, you really do not yet know what it is to be a bowhunter.
I decided that the previous post was going to be my last until I read this.  If this is what you believe then you have missed what hunting is all about completely in my mind.  Hunting is not about killing or not killing.  Yes that is what we are out there to achive but to me this is not the only reason I hunt.  With all due respect I know exactly what it is to be a bowhunter.  But I am an Outdoorsman first and a Hunter second!!
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »
Tim that is not meant to be any type of insult to you or anyone else.  I can assure you that you will know what I am talking about when it happens.

Offline Takedown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
Hi Tim,
As far as this topic goes, opinions are like As@@@@@s, we all have one! That being said, I would have killed this little buck. I, just this season, broke a long dryspell by killing a young button. Wonderful deer, I was SO tickled and the meat has been excellent. I needed the confidence boost badly.

I think that for your own confidence you should have taken the shot. Kill that 1st and then be a bit more selective if you want. But lets face it, at this time in our history, we have an overabundance of deer roaming around. And as mentioned, yes the deer would probably grow a nice (if typical) rack in a couple of years and provide, in many folks mind, "better" trpohy. But, realize that the bucks just dont "grow bigger" they grow exponentially "smarter", and the likely hood of you even seeing him again is very small in all reality. We hunt with trad-bows and it's not likely we could ever seriously impact the "herd" by "over-harvesting".

I, myself wouldn't sweat it, take the next deer (whatever size) and be thrilled(you should be as you did it "the hard way")don't over analyze this too much. Our time (for most of us) in the field is very limited. Enjoy it fully. Enough preaching!!
Good Luck
Harry.

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
Go ahead and take some meat home. I've taken them in the past.
Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
Tim there's absolutely nothing wrong with you sitting there another 14 years if you want to. There is much more to hunting than killing. Shoot a deer when you're ready. I do however understand the point that Molson was making above. Its kinda hard to explain, but a lot of different feelings come over me at once. Its a little different each time for me anyway. But its yet a another part of the experience. You'll understand if and when the time comes.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »
There is no shame in taking any deer with traditional tackle. My first deer taken with a bow 33 years ago was a button buck. I let those little bucks walk now, but that first deer will do alot for your confidence when you have to put a shot on one of the big boys.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline the not so straight arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2008, 01:22:00 PM »
cant eat antlers. thats the way i look at it.
-cory
burry me with my longbow, and a dozen good shafts, heard theres big deer in heaven

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
Well, if there wasn't any humans the the bears, yotes and any other predator would take them young'ens. I hunt for the hunt, I get Meat as a bonus.

If You don't like to take a BB, Don't

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »
You cant eat antlers, but some of us LOVE COLLECTING them.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »
QDM.... does that mean "quality deer meat"?  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
Tim here in Jersey in some zones we have an early season. You have to  "earn a buck" you have to shoot a doe. Like Ron [Sharpster]  said previously sometimes at 15 to 20 yards you can't tell the differance. Over the years I have shot a few. They sure taste good. In our neck of the woods if we didn't shoot it someone else probably would. That's due to the hunting pressure here.Also, they aren't the smartest of the deer family just like fawn does.Comes down to survival of the smartest and fittest.I always said if GOD didn't want me to shoot it he wouldn't have put it in front of me.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
Remind me not to walk in front of bentpole's stand/blind!LOL

Just a little funning bentpole.

Mike  :biglaugh:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »
I have enjoyed this thread!  

I have shot button bucks...two of them...on my first deer hunt after being in the stand for about one and a half hours.  I thought they were does.  Missouri BB's look like a full grown Fl. doe.   ;)   They each weighed over 160 pounds.  Since then I have been able to spot them...and pass on the lil fellers cause I know there Pappy or Grandpap is out there.  I do shoot does...but pass on the lil ones.  We leave in a couple of days for Missouri...and since I got a 8 pt last year (finally)...(small rack older buck)...my Uncle says...I can shoot the does or 7 pts or better.  So I have a new challange.  :)

There is a certain satisfaction to know your hunting the wind right...and the babes are there playing/feeding under your feet and you know you could but you don't.
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©