3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gift for Rancher ???  (Read 1099 times)

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Gift for Rancher ???
« on: October 23, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »
Every year we go to Texas and hunt javelina, turkeys, and white tails.  The rancher lets us hunt for nearly nothing and provides a house for us.  We try and give him and his wife a gift each year, but are running out of ideas - need help.
Have given in the past: pocket knives, elk skin gloves, candy, book on the "Great Ranches of the West", etc.  
Does anyone have a suggestion - we share the cost between 4 of us.
They are in their 40's, he mostly rifle hunts but has shot a compound.

Would appreciate your suggestions.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gift for Rancher ???
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
Cabela's gift certificate
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
Some nice artwork or a nice portrait of his homeplace,send him and wife to a very nice resturant and pick up the tab or a weekend trip somewhere.Massages for him and her(don't laugh)very enjoyable,A wine club where they send a new brand every month or something like that.You notice many gifts include the wife when Moma is happy everybody is happy.Kip

Offline DBerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »
With the price of ammo he may appreciate a few boxes of his caliber.
And Kip, guys shouldn't go outside of the house for a massage lol  :p
David

~Kanati Klassic~ 50@26"

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
Good ideas, thanks.  Can't see him getting a massage, would probably have to spit out his chew first.  Ha  Their ranch is 40 miles from town and not much at that town either.  Gift certificate might work, but not real personable.

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
They can get crazy expensive...but kitchen knives? Actually, for the price of a complete "set" of nice kitchen knives you could have 2 or 3 matching knives made by hand.  A Chef's, a Santoku (sp?), and a boning knife. They don't have to be fancy to be gorgeous.  White micarta handles with red liners are stunning to me. Would have to "fit" the rest of their house though.  PM me if you need help on this.

There's the old standby of some of the actual meat you harvest.  Don't know if your setup to properly process the meat there while you're in texas...but every deer has two backstraps.   ;)    (I priced some beef last night...even some lesser cuts were $4/lb!!!)

What's his favorite caliber/gun?  Ammo can be personal with some people...some people don't care at all as long as it goes bang.

In honesty, I like kips ideas.  If they're time-sensitive gifts make sure they don't interfere with the "busy time" for whatever the couple does for a living.  Uncle is a farmer and once got some tickets for somethin' or other in September...that's the dead of harvest!!!
Micah 6:8

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »
Something I've considered but not yet done (I usually go the route of gift certificates for local steak houses/restaurants) is to get a piece of polished marble or something with the ranch's brand (logo) sandblasted in it.  I'm guessing a tombstone or monument company could do this.  It could be done large to sit in their drive, or maybe smaller to fit on a mantle or even a paperweight for the desk.  Just an idea I had that I think some western ranchers might appreciate.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
custom knives for he and the Mrs? a general purpose utility/skinner type and a nice kitchen chopper for her? Unless she is a hunter too and wants the same as him!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline KillerDyller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
process some of what you kill there into summer sausage and such. Who does'nt like meat?

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »
Who doesn't like money !

If he ranches for a living he's not getting rich.

Offline Steve Watkins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
All great ideas,
I have a local farmer who lets me hunt and fish on his property and I always show up during hay time to lend a hand "bucking hay" or "fixing fence."  On birthdays and holidays they get a card.

steve

Offline DaveBriner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
I get my farmer friends walmart gift certificates every year.
Dave
A man's worth can be determined by the number of friends at his funeral- unless they all hunt too!!

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
A framed aerial photo of his ranch.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 02:16:00 PM »
My wife and I usually make up gift baskets full of locally made products (jams, sauces, specialty coffee, etc.) and throw in home made fudge and cookies and a Christmas tree ordainment or 2. We get the baskets from the local $1 store and the whole basket we might have $20 in, which is good when you have multiple land owners that let you hunt. If that doesn't work for you, try Harry & Davids gift baskets. I've never known anyone who didn't appreciate those.  :)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 02:19:00 PM »
ok  as a former guide i can  honestly tell ya a few tricks that d work wonders  ya say  he shoot s a copound  ?? how about the mrs ?   we make bows dont we???? well why not make a matchin set   ?? i did that for a couple and i have a place to hunt as along as he owns the ranch  ,, so  you never know  worth a try   but  then   other things can help also but 2 staves and a lil elbow grease might do wonders  good luck  brock
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »
and gene  i forgt to say hi buddy been a long time no see haha brock
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions.  We already pay a small fee to hunt for the entire week.  He sets that fee, so to pay him more I don't think is an option.  He also reloads all his own shells - must have 30-40 rifles, etc.  He shoots all their game meat, so giving him some of ours is not an option.  We live 800 miles away so helping with chores is out.  We had him and his wife come up and hunt elk with us a yr. ago.  This loved the mountains here in Colo.  He drew a late NM tag this year.  Might have to go the gift cert. route or maybe the kitchen knives as he has a ton of hunting knives.  
I really appreicate all your help and suggestions.  I am sure we all like to tell the land owner we appreciate him giving us access.  If you think of anything else it would be appreciated!!!

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
Hey Brock - sorry you have me stumped.  I give up.  Need more information - probably getting short timers here,memory failing.  Ha

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »
Kip nailed it.  A framed piece of artwork that reflects his land/lifestyle or a well done photo book of ranch buildings, landscapes and animals on his ranch would really show that you value and respect his property.  Since he is so far removed from town, some of the mail delivery items would be great as well.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
I build antler lamps on the side. I have given a 6' tall, six elk antler floor lamp to a couple different ranchers that have let me hunt.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©