3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: questions for Lone Wolf Hang on users  (Read 551 times)

Offline futuredoc

• Trad Bowhunter
questions for Lone Wolf Hang on users
« on: October 23, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
Is the stand easy to put on the tree? How quiet can you be setting the stand itself up? Would you consider taking it down/putting up on every hunt?

I am looking for a truly portable lock on that I can take down after I hunt with it rather than leaving it in the woods all fall.

I had an API baby grand and the thing was too loud I felt like to put up all the time; metal ratchet strap hinges always banging etc.

Just wanted to get some feedback from those of you that use Lone Wolf.

thanks,

fd
Kendall H. Rader MD
Emergency Medicine Resident Physician
Indianapolis IN

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: questions for Lone Wolf Hang on users
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
The loudest noise I exp. with my Lone Wolf hang on was when you were carrying it with the climbing sticks stacked on. Make sure you take the time to tighten everything up good and snug. They are a great stand.              
                         Good Shooting,
                                Craig

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
I believe the Lone Wolf hang-ons to be about as quiet and easy to install as a hang-on can be. I have the Assault model and it's the easiest and quietest hang-on stand I've used.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
What JSimon/monkeyball said.  I have put these stands up almost completely silently with deer bedded 60-100 yards away several times.  You will not be sorry.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »
There is no quieter or better stand for what you are looking for.
hunt it

Offline carparcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
I got one for this fall and have already packed it in on four different occasions.  The two loop/knob "hook-ups" are the quietest thing I have ever used.  I ended up shooting two deer (does) opening weekend that showed up not ten minutes after I was settled into the stand, so they obviously didn't hear it.

<<<>>>>>

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »
Exactly what I use my lone wolf stand for.  To be very quiet, sneak into a specific area for an evening, set it up quietly, hunt that evening and take it down when leaving.  No better stand for that purpose. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline DaveBriner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
Don't know how you intend to use it but here's what I do for the most part.

I have several stand sites with screw in steps, shooting lanes, etc etc ready before season.  I also have the hooks in place (with chain).  I walk in with my hang on, climb tree and hang it no problem with one hand on those hooks.  Absolutely no noise whatsoever.

As someone previously said, with practice you can also hang the whole thing from scratch, climbing sticks and all without spooking deer close by.  I have done this a number of times.

Good luck, best little stand for the money in my opinion.

Dave
A man's worth can be determined by the number of friends at his funeral- unless they all hunt too!!

Offline BrianH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »
I have been using LW hang ons, both the origianal and the Assault for about 10 years now.  I hunt pretty much only on public land where I cannot leave my stand up.  Like was said before, I have set my stand up and had deer which were bedded 50, 60 yards away popp up and pass right under me.

The main thing is you need to develope a system that works for you, one that you can set up in the dark with no excessive noise.  I have come to rely on good old hockey tape to cushion everything.  Especially where there is any metal on metal contact.

I could never get the hang of the climbing sticks, I always seemed to clank them together.  So I sold them and went back to regular tree steps.  LW is the only tree stand in my opinion.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
Up and down every time. . . set up tonight within 40 yards of a 140" buck.  Never spooked him. . .

No noise with my sticks attached to ethafoam blocks.  Do a search-this has been discussed in length with lots of pics.  If you have questions-PM me and I will show you my set-up.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 05:57:00 AM »
I even use the big 'Alpha Elite" and hang it on the "easy-hang" hooks without a problem. Right now I have it chained to a tree on public land but if it get's stolen I will have no problem buying another one and hanging it every time I go out.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 07:05:00 AM »
I've been using them for about ten years too. This year the goal is to Hang and Hunt as much as possible.. Bumping buckles against sticks, or rough bark, like a Hackberry tree are all the noise I make.
(Hackberry bark was the surprise,, Yuk)
I traded for an "Elite" too and will say it carries and hangs better than I would have guessed.. Great stand for a long vigil.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline EIGHTWGT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »
I have the lone wolf assault - here is a story from last season

I bought the stand and was questioning its high price - until....
First time I walk in woods with it, it was a lil breezy-in my face and I walked to my stand site and immedietly saw a buck and still had my stand strapped to back. I took it off - buck is about 70 yards away, andstarted strapping on my steps (Lone Wolfs) and I got the stand hung- all without him hearing me.  Now that I have one - I can stand my Grizzly stands, the LW stand is just a great product any way you look at it.... get one - use it, it really is a great tree stand, and the leveling system is worth the cost alone...
" Hunt like the Owl - move only your head and your eyes "

Offline EIGHTWGT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 07:36:00 AM »
KSdan

Id like to see the ethafoam setup  -  I did a search but found nothing...

Thanks...

Tom

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 07:56:00 AM »
I too have the sticks and stand- best system there is, period.  I pack mine into and outta stand land each time.  It does get a touch heavy after swamp sneaking for 6/10's of a mile- but the installation and removal is silent.
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »

Hope that answers it.  I also have attached a backpack hip belt that takes any wt. off for the longer treks.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
The blocks alone. . .

Offline Papa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
KSdan,  Do you use the straps that come from Lone Wolf or do you use the ropes?  If you use the ropes,  where did you get them and are you completely comfortable with their safety?

Offline EIGHTWGT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »
Can you post pics of the rope clinch system you use instead of the buckles ??

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
ahhhh some day, some day!!!!! it is definitly on my wish list!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©