3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: design of longbow  (Read 342 times)

Offline ghost rob

• Trad Bowhunter
design of longbow
« on: October 23, 2008, 05:47:00 PM »
In the past I've made some longbows (great northern critter gitter style) that were 62" long with an 18" riser and two lams of .050" glass and four lams of wood that tapered .0015" each for a total taper of .006". The lams all measured .085" at the butt end. My question is this; I always ended up around 50#@26" which was what I wanted, I want to make a 60" bow on the same form and reach the same weight, so do I shorten the riser and use thinner glass or what? I'm thinking of going with a 17" riser and .040" glass and seeing what I end up with. What do all of you think? Thanks, Rob.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: design of longbow
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
I think if you went with just the .040 glass instead of .050 you will wind up where you want to be.  Either that or use the same glass and reduce the riser to 16".  I think you would like the performance of the thinner glass though.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline TradBowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »
if you reduce your glass thickness, you'll need to increase your wood thickness a tad. Going to a thinner glass throws your wood/glass ratio off and you'll come out way lighter if you don't increase your wood thickness a tad. i did this on one of my recurves that has about 1# of weight change for every 0.001" lam thickness. I went with 050 glass instead of 040 (for a heavy bow)and had to change my lam thickness by 20-30% from what I had figured I think to hit weight. Best thing to do is try something and see what the outcome is. Whats the worse thing that could happen? You might have to build another bow...so what the downside LOL.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
He's planning on cutting it down two inches though.  I figure it will be close to a wash.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline TradBowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
good point Apex.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
2" cut off on that bow will probably be about 8# or so.  Drop each of the lams .002 at the but and give it a go.  Do not change the glass thickness or the riser size.

That should give a bow about 8# lighter so you can cut it down to your 50@26.
Mike Westvang

Offline ghost rob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »
Thanks guys . Wingnut you are exactlly right about two inches cut off equals 8#s. I got that difference when I made a 64" bow. So if I use the same riser length and cut off two inches, at the same 50# draw I should pick up some speed due to a shorter working limb, right? Will I lose any smoothness or gain any handshock? I really don't notice much shock right now. I guess I just need to glue one up and see as suggested. Thanks, Rob

Offline ghost rob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 11:01:00 AM »
Anyone?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©