3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: PICS ADDED!!!!! Hello Trad Gang. Longtime visitor, first time contributer with story  (Read 542 times)

Offline David Brent

• Trad Bowhunter
A big hello from N.East, Ohio. My name is Dave and I have a problem. I love to shoot trad gear. This morning I had a great hunt. I know I'm going to let you down right now because I don't have pics yet but here's the story. I'm making my way to my stand about ten after six in the moonlit night when I cross the final barbed wire fence before my stand. I stopped to listen before proceeding to make sure nothing was approaching on my final 35 yds. to the stand when I hear footsteps approaching. Wishfully hoping they were coons turned into two very large bodied deer not 10 yards in front of me stopping under and apple tree and proceeding to eat. I had stopped in a moonlit spot so It was a matter of time before they saw me. Well...they saw me and proceeded to snort, blow stop there way across the township. HUNT OVER before it started.... I thought. I got to my stand, settled in and waited for daybreak. When it was light enough to see I started rattling and about 5 min. after to the east I saw my first deer in daylight. Could not tell what it was as it was about 80 yards away going behind me. About 8:30 a big doe and a youngin came down the fence and under the apple tree. I had shot a doe 2-1/2 weeks ago (which I'll eventually post) so I had a decision to make. I'm trying to buck hunt right know so do I shoot or don't shoot. I was definitely passing on the youngin so I decided since I was already severely busted in the morning I would take the shot if it presented itself on mama. Well lucky for her the winds were swirling and she got a little nervous. She never came close enough and she didn't bolt. She just drifted south. That was great! I love seeing deer(in daylight ). It got to 9:00 am and I was feeling guilty that I should get to work but I just couldn't make myself leave. At 9:15 guilt got the better of me and I was taking one last look around when from the south I see a deer approaching the apple tree. ANTLERS! Nice enough. I've yet in all my years of hunting been lucky enough to harvest a wall hanger but they're all trophies to me anyway. He cautiously approaches the apple tree which is 35yds away from me. The wind must still have been swirling and he was catching wiffs of me. I finally got a strong cross wind and he settled down some and proceeded to eat. He popped his head up a couple minutes later and walked toward me a few steps. He was facing me at about 25yrds standing like a statue and I knew this wasn't good. He then turned to leave and stopped broadside to eat browse. An overhanging branch from the apple tree was blocking a shot while I was standing in my stand so I crouched down. Perfect! I picked a spot, started to draw when a hawk swooshed over the deers back then headed straight at me going over my right shoulder and landing in the tree behind me then started screeching. The deer jolted and looked toward me then calmed real soon. He put his head down, I finished my draw, anchored, spot, burn spot, release......PERFECT HIT! Tucked right behind his shoulder and centered the heart. The shot was about 28 yrds. He went about 120yrds. with an unbelievable blood trail. He's a fine 7 point with a big body and a very swollen neck. I shot him with the same Woodsman Broadhead I harvested the doe with and the one I missed a turkey with on Monday.(thats another story)and now I can't find it. My arrow broke and I found the front half but can't find the broadhead. I shoot a Bob Lee Hunter 56# @ 28, Goldtip arrows and Wensel Woodsmans. In the Bob Lee trophy gallery, I've got a pic from a 9 point I shot last year. Thanks for letting me post this great hunt and I hope its not long winded. I like the long stories you guys have posted because I like to hear other peoples experiences. I'll try to get pics soon because I need to figure out how to post them. I'm new! Thanks guys and God Bless.

I think I've got pics here.

Bob Lee Exotic 54#
Bob Lee Signature Hunter 55#
Bob Lee Hunter Takedown 56#
Brackenberry O'l Timer Longbow 53#
Martin Hunter 55#

Offline trad.-ed

• Trad Bowhunter
congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :clapper:

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
First off brother welcome to the site...second great story and congrats...and now most important pics, pics, pics   :bigsmyl:  can not leave us hanging without sharing some pic's of your harvest.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
cool. Some would say the hawk took the spirit of the buck before you shot it. Cool story !! Thanks!!

:thumbsup:    :campfire:    :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Welcome and very well told story. If you need help posting the pics pm me.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Congrats.

Great story,

Obviously the hawk was trying to warn the buck...and he didn`t listen.

28 yards is a good poke, nice shooting.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
Way to go! I look forward to seeing the pics! I missed a turkey yesterday morning also. Hit a twig on a branch.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline sabas silva

• Trad Bowhunter
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  Good story Dave

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Welcome and very nice story. Looking forward to the pics. Congrats.  :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Bubba54854

• Trad Bowhunter
Welcome, thanks for sharing the great story!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
:wavey:     :wavey:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
Great story and an awsome hunt! Now up with those pic's.....Please

blueline
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
Good story! I liked the " I finished my draw,anchored,spot,burn spot,release...perfect hit". "SPOT, BURN SPOT" is the key. Ken
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
Good deal all around, David; good story, good shot, and good to have you here. Thanks for sharing,                          Grant

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Great story - congratulations!  You need to post more often!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Welcome David! Great story,but we need pics!! LOL  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline David Brent

• Trad Bowhunter
I've got pics!!!! I added them to another post. Sorry, I'll get this right eventually. It's the posts "Pics for story Dave (Signman)Brent."
Bob Lee Exotic 54#
Bob Lee Signature Hunter 55#
Bob Lee Hunter Takedown 56#
Brackenberry O'l Timer Longbow 53#
Martin Hunter 55#

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Congrats and welcome!
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Welcome and Congrats! I'm sort of a Homeboy to ya Dave. I'm from Cleveland, and my family lives in Middlefield. Great story also!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great story! The hawk is always a blessing. Glad to have you here! Now I gotta go see those pics...

Killdeer  :archer:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©