3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The no-camo crew  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
The no-camo crew
« on: October 24, 2008, 04:10:00 AM »
Anyone take any game yet? How does your deer sightings compare to past years w/camo? Hap

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The no-camo crew
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 05:01:00 AM »
STONE kNIFE TOOK A BUCK AND A DOE
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 05:44:00 AM »
not yet but I passed several that I could have including a small 8 last night at 10 yards and a couple of does inside 15. Camo is soooo over rated.  :)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 05:46:00 AM »
My plaid shirt is better than camo.  
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 07:07:00 AM »
Isn't plaid just another form of "Camo?"
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 07:12:00 AM »
No plaid is a politician favorite color.Kip

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 07:19:00 AM »
Camoflauge is a concept, not a pattern. Plaid wool shirts are as effective a s any mossytreerealbark whatever pattern.

I have plenty of camo, because I have gathered gear over the years and lots of quality gear comes in camo. But my favorite early season gear are 2 Woolrich plaid shirts, one darker and the other lighter. Coupled with dull tan or brown pants, they are perfect.

Much of my heavier wool is camo (not all though) so I end up wearing it as the weather turns. But I'm not wearing it for the pattern, I'm wearing it for the warmth.

I see (and have killd) plenty of deer in non camo pattern clothing. I see NO difference.

Turkeys are another matter though.

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 07:20:00 AM »
I like wearing Camo so other people don't see me in the woods.   :D   I also see more deer when just walking down a popular path it seems in the off season. Deer can really smell threat! Good luck boys and interested to see how you fair compared to your camo years.    ;)
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 07:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roger Norris II:

Turkeys are another matter though.
Yeah as they see color!    :eek:
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline Clay Hayes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 08:57:00 AM »
I really like it when you see a hunting show where some guy's sitting in a totaly inclosed shooting hut in full camo.  Heck, he could be wearing a hot pink jumpsuit with flashy lights and the deer wouldn't know it.  Marketing!  "[dntthnk]"

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
I could have shot the same coyote 3 times LOL!!!!!

Once at 20 yards,again at about 15,then again at about 10.....

I was hunting on the ground,and I had stood up to stretch my legs.....after a few minutes,I see a coyote trotting down off the ridge above me and headed right for my stand. Picked up my longbow,drew back,and followed him.....He passed through an opening about 20 yards away and keeps coming. He trots through another opening at about 15 yards and he's still coming.....I say to my self,"self,if he keeps coming I'll let him get as close as he wants to!!!" 10 yards.....he's still coming.....

Finaly, at the base of the rock ledge that I sit on,4 yards away, he stops behind a tree.....I think he smelled me because he slowly did an about face and trotted back up the ridge keeping every possible tree or bush between he and I.

That was COOL!!!!! Even though I didn't take a shot,I didn't stop shaking for about a half hour!!!!!   :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
Not yet but I leave for Ohio for a week next Friday.
Gal. 2:20 Let Jesus Live

Offline Ontario Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »
I've seen 10 deer this week,, missed a small buck on Wed. at 8 yards AGGHH!! Last night had a doe at 5 yards but no shot opportunity, both deer walked almost under my treestand approached from behind and neither made me.
,,,Frank

Black Coffee, Red Wine, Blue Waters, Green fields, Yellow sunsets,Whitetailed Deer,, All the Primary colors of Life ,,,.
I don't choose the deer, the deer chooses me.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
O-Long-I like that vest. Hap

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »
i had deer and a coyote right under me today, 4 yards tops, doe was staring lazer eyes through me couldn't figure out what i was, stayed statue still, tried to draw when she turned her head but that dam sixth sense caught me and she bolted. camo clothes are for the manufacturers to get rich, as stated its just a concept. stay still, don't move, you could wear hot pink as long as ya don't move.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
Frank they could not see you because you wore your camo gloves !!!!!!!!!!!!
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline Ontario Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »
Hot Hap,,Vest is from Filson,,new color "Grey Multi",,works great in a tree,,

http://www.filson.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2092253&cp=2065676.2065772.2117344&parentPage=family

Harl,, Just got a new pair of grey wool and buckskin gloves from Cabela's.

On a side note,, Our good friend Theo took three deer this week on our Catskills bowhunt,, he wore some camo but contributed his success to his plaid underwear ,, he even offer to lend them to me but I respectfully declined,,LOL,,,

Frank
Black Coffee, Red Wine, Blue Waters, Green fields, Yellow sunsets,Whitetailed Deer,, All the Primary colors of Life ,,,.
I don't choose the deer, the deer chooses me.

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 11:43:00 PM »
I had one of best evenings in the woods ever the other day. I worked midnight shift the night before and got in bed around 7:00 the next morning. Got up at 9:00 to go spend the day with my daughter at the fall festival. Left the house around 3:30 to go hunting. I have decided that I want to do some "retro" bowhunting this year, get away from the camo and hunt in some wools and plaids. I wore a pair of blue jeans, long sleeve brown shirt and a tan and blue plaid heavy wool shirt. I got up to the area I wanted to hunt around 4:15 or so but was so tired I didn't trust myself in a tree stand. I never hunt off of the ground, always from a stand. I decided to put together a ground blind on the mountain. Pulled a couple of wire ties out of my pack and in about 15 minutes had thrown together a pretty decent ground blind. I got settled in and around 6:30 I saw a deer coming my way from about 75 yards off. This deer walked straight towards me, feeding along its way. It got about 10 yards away, but still facing me and it spent a couple of minutes pawing out a scrape right in font of me. When it left the scrape it continued walking straight towards me and stopped about 3-5 yards away just staring at me. I was on my knees and had my bow up but there just wasn't a shot with him facing me with his head down. He finally turned to his left and started walking up this steep hill behind me. I have already killed a couple of does this season and I didn't want to use one of my buck tags on a small buck this early but the totality of the situation was just soooo cool. He was up above me facing away real strong and I stuck a snuffer in behind his ribs on his right side. The arrow exited in front of his shoulder in his neck on the opposite side. At the shot I so the arrow hit and then watched my luma nock flying for another 30 yards before the arrow landed in the top of a laurel bush. The buck ran about 30 yards and did a summersault.

Just a super cool evening!! Of all of the deer I have killed, I have only ever killed a hand full from the ground in a blind. I had NO camo on other than my ball cap, just jeans and wool plaid. He certainly isn't one of the biggest bucks I have ever killed but I guarantee I will remember him for a long time. Besides, he was butterball fat and will sure be tasty.
Stykshooter

Private message

Offline HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
Does not surprise me about offering you his undies !!!!!! LOL
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline SouthMDShooter