3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The no-camo crew  (Read 2848 times)

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The no-camo crew
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 08:01:00 PM »
im havin problems fellas. I havnt got any warm not camo pants yet i bought some but they are very high waisted m1952 military pants and a pair of 1940-50s swedish military pants. I have to cut down the waist and resew it lower and then i have to add pockets. so ill be hunting in insulated camo pant becausr its all i have thats warm. Im trying. hopefully i will have the other pants done in a couple weeks. So if i do post a kill dont hate me. Im still wearing non camo on top .
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »
celticknot,
I'm in the same boat just can't afford wool pants this year. So far haven't needed warm pants but I leave for Ohio friday and that will change. I will have to wear my camo windstoper fleese pants. I got most all my plad shirts at good will but no wool pants for a fat boy.
Gal. 2:20 Let Jesus Live

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 11:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by SouthMDShooter:
I took a doe in a black and white plaid shirt and green pants
I'd like to see pictures of a doe in black and white plaid, not matter what color her pants are.
  ;)  

Sorry, I've spent too many years teaching English to let that one pass.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 05:20:00 AM »
It really doesn't matter if your not in an all non camo outfit, this whole thing is kind of a mindset. I mix up what I already own, one of the warmest bottoms I own are wool camo, but I do have a couple pair of old wool army one of them has a button in liner, it hasn't been cold enough to break those out yet.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline str8sh2ter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 08:13:00 AM »
some of you guys ,please chime in on my  difference makers to success thread.thanks
*Stone Knife;any deer left around you?Seems you're having a Great season.Congrats!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2020, 01:44:31 PM »
Hmmm? Here's another one.... :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2020, 06:37:37 PM »
So we have folks who have seen them close enough to shoot but didn't, shot them but haven't posted an LDP, went retro but with no camo but still using a Lumenoc. 
I'm understand plaid works.  But does it work as well?
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2020, 06:48:43 PM »
I was wearing this on the ground this Oct.  I guess I’d like it a little lighter in colors but it works.  I was brushed into a natural ground blind and had a very nice doe within 6 or 7 paces. She stared at me and then walked off.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2020, 07:01:35 PM »
I was wearing this on the ground this Oct.  I guess I’d like it a little lighter in colors but it works.  I was brushed into a natural ground blind and had a very nice doe within 6 or 7 paces. She stared at me and then walked off.
That's a good bear.  Congratulations!

Offline ty_in_ND

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2020, 12:52:22 AM »
I've taken deer wearing a red/brown wool plaid Pathfinder from Asbell Wool. Although it's "camo", my early bow season clothing is cheapy Walmart woodland camo clothes and deer don't seen to notice me.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2020, 11:11:28 AM »
Camo is anything that breaks up your outline and makes it more difficult for you to be seen. It makes no difference if it is plaid or commercially produced camo. Whichever is used, whether plaid or commercial, it still needs to be matched to the hunter's background. Those who believe plaid is better and those who prefer commercial camo are both right. As long as it makes you blend in to your surroundings, it is effective camo.
Sam

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2020, 02:42:34 PM »
If you're in a wedding party your camo may be a classic tuxedo.

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2020, 03:38:31 PM »
Copper Country State Forest. Michigan U.P.

Offline ty_in_ND

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2020, 10:09:07 PM »
Maybe a more apt title for the thread should be "The crew that heads into the woods without spending $1000+ on camo". Not as succinct, but maybe more in the spirit of what he's getting at!

With that said, I've bowhunted in a solid blaze orange top and hat (ND law for bowhunting during rifle season) and had deer look up at me and not notice.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2020, 10:35:44 PM »
We have to do the same during the general eleven day season in Missouri and even 15 feet up in a ladder stand they will pick you off in blaze orange every time.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2020, 10:43:34 PM »
And I wear Sitka gear in cold weather.  Second hand and half price.  And I don't care what the cost.  Its the only thing that has kept me warm at 17 degrees and a 15mph wind in a ladder stand.
By the way their camo isn't.  It's not a print.  It's not fake leaves or tree branch patterns.  But dang warm and I can sit longer and enjoy it better warm without so many layers I can't draw my bow or maintain form for the bulk of it.

And no.  Years ago wouldn't have afforded it.  And be back at the house sipping coffee with the shivers for hours after ab90 minute stand sit. 
Sure a blind with a heater is nice.  But it's always nice to be up, seeing what is going on around me.  See them coming.  Planning the shot sequence.  Can't always enjoy it the same in a blind.
I spend money on gear.  Just dropped a couple hundred at 3Rivers.  Why shouldn't I spend it on gear to enjoy more time in the field.
Guys I work hard.  I'm sure you do too.  And my time in the field is precious to me.  I finally decided all the army surplus wool sweaters and layers of thermals weren't the answer. 
But I had to buy second hand cause full price, and not knowing if it was really that effective scared me.

But even now, knowing I can buy it like new at greatly reduced prices I wouldn't pay full price.

But it's not the pattern, it's the low bulk warmth I appreciate in it.

Personally I'm more of a Mossy Oak fan.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 10:52:38 PM by GCook »

Offline ty_in_ND

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2020, 12:53:20 AM »
Yeah, I don't know why I haven't had problems with blaze orange. It's obviously not the first thing I grab, but I do hunt on private land where the deer aren't being harassed and pushed around, so maybe that's why?

That's a good point to bring up about buying second hand! And, just to be clear, I'm totally not against spending money if you have it available to spend. Heaven knows I've put in my fair share of my paycheck into bowhunting! If you're comfy in Sitka cold gear, that's great! I just think this is more about "bucking the trend" of the TV hunting shows in their completely decked-out head-to-toe X brand camo (that they probably got for free because of a sponsorship) and hearing those same people say "you need this gear to bowhunt" (and, worse, reading keyboard warriors typing the same thing). Even if you were a head-to-toe Sitka guy, you do you!

All I have is my own personal experience where I've bagged deer wearing wool plaid (from a tree, ground blind, and makeshift cover) and I've heard stories from a good bowhunter friend who wears Sitka about getting busted. Obviously, he's been successful and I've been busted before, but I really can't say how much of it is based on our outerwear choice vs things that I know do make a difference (making a sound, moving, the wind swirling, etc.).

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2020, 05:30:46 PM »
Well, I have an interesting observation.  Hear me out. I did wear camo this year, Mossy oak. Shot a very nice buck. Seemed like the deer were picking me off. After going through my gear after putting the bow away for the year, I made a quick discovery.   The camo was making me look like a dark blob. So I laid out my Asbel wool plaid in the leaves next to my camo. You can guess the rest, the plaid broke up and blended way better. Who would have thought after 54 years I would have to relearn that ? Back to what works next year. Now ANYBODY  know anything about ozonics ?.....lol

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2020, 06:24:57 PM »
I am leaning towards an ozonics.
I use one of the scent crusher car units in my work truck.  Two sweaty men in the summer heat and it gets nasty in a few days.  I'll run it for a couple hours on the weekend and makes the truck a lot easier to ride in with the windows up and the A/C on.
BUT . . . Having worked around it for two decades in the water treatment industry I do know that it is very hard on mucous membranes, eyes and lungs.  So I never run it while in the truck.  And I will be very careful how I use it with a blind IF I get one.
By the way I still have my granddad's green plaid wool jacket hanging in the closet.   He's been gone 47 years.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©