3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First Archery Deer Hunt  (Read 359 times)

Offline The Baron

• Trad Bowhunter
First Archery Deer Hunt
« on: October 24, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
I went up north with an old friend the past two days for a little archery deer hunting.  He was using a crossbow and I had my HH Badger.  We hunted from treestands on his property and sat Tuesday afternoon/evening, Wednesday morning and then again Wednesday night.  I saw one deer mid-day Wednesday when my friend did a little mini-drive.  It was too far and moving too fast to shoot - I couldn't even tell if it was a buck or a doe because of the thick bush.  I did a little stump shooting and shot at a woodcock but missed by a hair.

I brought nothing home but I felt a great sense of satisfaction in just accepting up the challenge of hunting with traditional archery gear.  Even though I had no chances, I shot my practice arrow before I climbed out of my stand each time, and I would have got my imaginary deer with each shot.  I can only imagine how gratifying it will be to take a deer with my bow and I gotta say a general congratulations to everyone who takes up this challenge and becomes proficient at it.  With the attitudes toward hunting ethics and sportsmanship that I read about here on TradGang, I really like the company I am keeping.   :)
You can't be a leader of you don't know where you're going.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Archery Deer Hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »
Sounds like you hit the jackpot, doesn't it.  Welcome to the best view of the natural world known!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »
Yep, I'll second what AP wrote! Welcome, and all the best to you in your endeavour.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »
good luck to you, just seeing a deer in big land like that is an accomplishment, stick with man and enjoy!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline LONGHORN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
That is the way to go Robert,I just spent the week hunting with a super good friend (F-Manny),he just left for Montreal a few minutes ago and he has a story to tell    :thumbsup:   don't miss it,man we had a blast.
Serge
"The sportsman who accepts the sporting code of ethics keeps his commandments in the greatest solitude with no witnesses or audience other than the sharp peaks of the mountain, the stern oak, and the passing animal"
~Jose Ortega Y Gasset~

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©