3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who is still waiting on their first?  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who is still waiting on their first?
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »
Count me in. This is my first year since 1972 hunting with a trad bow. I haven't had the opportunity to loose an arrow yet. Came pretty close the other morning on having an opportunity. I was sitting on the ground and the little buck materialized out of a draw only about 20 yards away. Popping acorns in his mouth like they were hard candy. No shot chance, but a very exciting and interesting experience.

Winter Hawk
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »
Me too, I've got hogs and a couple of jack rabbits but missed 2 does last year when my upper limb hit the blind I was shooting out of and caused both shots to go high. I came home and ordered a Recurve model double bull 360 to solve the problem, I've loaned it out 3 times now and every time somebody else has brought home meat.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline illianabowhntr67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »
Still trying to score my first trad deer and on public ground I can only hope the deer gods will come through.

Offline tjjsidekick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
Still waiting for any type of traditional harvest. Shot at a running doe last year at 10 yards but missed. I'm taking my bow out tommorow for the opening of rabbit season, so maybe my luck will change.

Offline ohiobowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »
I'm with you also. I have taken numerous deer with my compound but this will be the first year that I have truly concentrated on taking one with my long bow. I am really looking forward to completing this challenge that I have set for myself.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
Still looking for my first with Trad Gear. Been making meat for lots of years during the "other" seasons. I LOVE my Trad Gear though. Living 125 miles from my hunting area kinda puts a damper on it sometimes. Like today..... Waiting for the Power Company to send a rep to my house..... Then four (4) trips to Home Depot..... Well, you get the picture.  :(  No huntin' this weekend.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
Missed 4 times on 3 deer in one weekend. 4" over the shoulder from a tripod at 20 yards on the same doe with 2 arrows. Miss another doe at 15 yards the next day, 4" over the shoulder. And the last day missed an 8 point from 12 yards 4" over the shoulder. Never practiced from height and didn't bend at the waste.
Had 3 does at 10 yards and couldn't twitch a muscle. And have been busted more times than I can count. That's as close as I've been.
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »
I've killed one deer but it was out of state. I'm trying to kill my first in my home state.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »
This is my first season.  My 15 year old son has gotten me into it - not that it took much persuading.  I've been out 4 times, seen 5 deer but not gotten a shot.  We are going out tomorrow morning.  A good friend who has killed many deer said it took him four years.  I'm hoping for sooner!

Good luck to all of you!

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
I am with you guys 5 years!! 4 misses, 1 hit and not found. Out every evening , maybe should get my butt out in the morn.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2008, 08:04:00 PM »
I've taken a few with a barebow compound, but still huntin' for my first Trad harvest. I'm feeling good Mojo for this season though. I'll be off Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday every week of Nov, which puts me out there for all phases of the rut. Was hoping for a trip to Ohio, but can't do it this year. Good luck and safe hunts to all!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
It took me 3 yrs. gun hunting (no deer). Got into trade gear 4 yrs. ago and lost one last year, but I finally connected last sun. 7 yrs fellas. But well worth the wait.

Offline The Baron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
I just picked up a longbow for the first time this year.  I have started deer hunting, and am waiting on my first opportunity ever with a bow.  Killed a couple with a rifle and 1 with a traditional muzzleloader, but have never shot an arrow at a deer.
You can't be a leader of you don't know where you're going.

Offline Hook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
Hang in there. It took me eight years to kill my first whitetail with a bow but since then the floodgates opened. I have been successful the last 17 years in a row.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
Hey Guys - I hunted with a trad bow since I was 12 (I'm 45, and I had a 3 season experiment with a compound)and I was 25 years old before I killed one with a bow. After the first, they seemed to kind of come together and go easier. Take your time, hunt your way, follow your own ethics, and have fun. NEVER get in the "gotta kill a deer" mindset. I contend that most wounded and never found deer come from bad shots taken when guys feel pressure to kill a deer.

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
Keep at it...have confidence in your ability...it will all come together...a stickbow is a deadly weapon. After going totally trad. in January '07, got a deer last year and a turkey and two deer, so far, this year...

david
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Little Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »
It took four years for it to finally come together for me. Probably six clean misses, one hit in the neck and not found, but then it happened, a perfect shot on a 9 pointer on my own property two years ago, one of the greatest memories of mine in this lifetime. Then go figure, I connect again the very next night on a fork! When it rains it pours...but I think success had just as much to do with learning how to hunt, then hunting with a Selfbow. Just get in the woods as much as you possibly can is my advice. Like Grandpa always said, you can't kill a deer lying in a warm bed!

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
I'm still waiting for mine.Have done loads of upland bird and small game hunting. Have missed a couple of shots and seen alot but was not comfortable with the shot........ I think its coming soon though   :archer:
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline Kevin Breaux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
I have tagged out every year with a compound from 88' to 05'. I made my first all wood bow in 05' and have had them at 22yards and a quite a few at 15 and less. I am in a county that has a 13" min. inside spread, so it cuts down a little on the opportunities. I am in no rush, I am at a point in my mind set, if I see deer, I had a great hunt. Being in stand or from the ground in a blind, watching the sun come up and set is enough for me, at peace!

When it happens, it happens.

Offline buckhuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »
I am still waiting for my first deer with trad gear too.  Last weekend I had a perfect opportunity on a forkhorn broadside at 10 steps standing still.  I waited very patiently for just the right time and right feeling of confidence to take the shot.  Kept telling myself to pick a spot behind his shoulder.  I loosed an arrow and it hit him high and above the shoulder.  

Found very little blood and tracked him for 8 hours before giving up.  I was on hands and knees looking for sign at the end.

I was very disappointed in myself for not making such an easy shot but I am 99% sure why it happened.  In the midst of all the excitement I  don't think I concentrated enough on the spot I wanted to hit.  It happens sometimes when I target practice.... lesson learned.

Good luck out there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©