3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: treating velvet?  (Read 452 times)

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
treating velvet?
« on: October 24, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »
I killed a buck this morning that had no testicles and no tarsal glands.He is still in full velvet.I think I am going to do a euro mount because it is so unusual.Anyone know what to do about the velvet to make it last? thanks
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: treating velvet?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 04:00:00 PM »
Sounds cool. Have any pics?

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 04:12:00 PM »
First thing is to get him on the freezer ASAP without damaging the velvet. It's been years since I worked with it, but there are products on the taxidermy market that you inject into the velvet with a hypodermic needle to replace the blood. Basically you are embalming the velvet. My suggestion would be get it in the freezer and start calling taxidermists for suggestions. Guru on TG here might be able to help you with more info also.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline shikari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
freezedrying is the best method,atleast that's what i have been informed,a good texadermist would be able to inform you better.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
Thanks guys.I skinned out the head and have it in the freezer now.The antlers are hard and not soft like in the summer but still covered in velvet.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 10:00:00 PM »
Hope this helps...cut and paste. "Many hunters want to preserve their velvet trophy, but are either not able to get it frozen and preserved or get it to a taxidermist in a timely manner. As a result, the velvet slips and they no longer have the ability to mount it with the velvet on. Here's what I've done over the years that's worked for me.

If you want to properly preserve velvet antlers IN THE FIELD, you will have to inject & brush them with formaldehyde and/or some of the new less toxic chemicals (4 in 1 solution works great as does Knobloch's antler in velvet tan). I personally prefer the 4 in 1 solution to Velvet Tan, as it was easier to use for me, however, both will work. A very respected taxidermist whose specialty was velvet antlers taught me this technique.

First, (using rubber gloves and eye protection) take a razor blade and make small incisions at the tips of all points (less than 1/8"). Next hang the antlers upside down, allowing the blood to drain. Starting at the bases inject the solution into the veins (you'll see and feel them) that follow the antler. You will begin to see the solution "push" out blood towards the tips. Continue injecting the solution as you work the untreated blood towards the tips. When you reach the ends, make sure you've treated ALL the veins on each antler. You'll quit injecting solution when the color of the solution is the same coming out as it was going in.

Allow the antlers to hang upside down overnight. After the solution/blood has stopped dripping out the ends, use a very fine painters brush and lightly brush the velvet with the solution. This will prevent bugs from entering the velvet that has no blood. After allowing the velvet to dry, lightly "brush" out the velvet to give it the natural uniform look. Remember; wear eye protection and gloves when using formaldehyde or any other chemicals. Slow down and don't be in a hurry to finish. If done correctly, your trophy will last forever."  
Good luck.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
Just freeze it.  I shot a very nice caribou in velvet years ago, got it into a walk-in freezer within a day or two, and kept it froze for 5 months or so.  I had a shoulder mount made of it afterwards, in the velvet, and the velvet hasn't slipped at all, its been quite a few years.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 01:03:00 AM »
do what lone wolf said with either formaldehyde (be extremely careful it is highly toxic!) or a product available from van dykes taxidermy supply called preservz-it. far less harmfull and probably more readily available
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 02:23:00 AM »
My brother in law had one freeze dried on year...it looked awesome...just like the day he killed it...taxidermist did it for him...

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©