3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer 1, Curtiss 0  (Read 1548 times)

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Deer 1, Curtiss 0
« on: January 02, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »
Well I had to go try again before the season ended. I drove to a nearby State Forest and put on my ASAT 3D Pro-Vanish leafy suit and strung my Crooked Stic longbow strapped on a Great Northern bow quiver and walked slowly and as quietly as possible into the woods about 200 yards from where the woods parrallel a corn field. I walked in about 100 paces and saw some white flicker ahead. I froze and watched and Holy wah! 6 deer were headed right toward me. For whatever reason they were headed down wind as I had the wind in my face. Well I eased over between to trees, nocked an arrow and waited. They were about 80 yards away when something spooked them from behind them. I watched as the trotted tails up in my direction. They were eating up the distance pretty quick and I had to figure out what to do. I figured I would shoot at the last deer to pass. Suddenly they all slowed to a walk and then stopped. They looked at their back trail and waited. The farthest one was 30 or so yards away and the nearest was 25 or so. There was no shot opportunity at this angle however and I did the only thing I could, I waited. minutes seemed like hours then finally a good sized doe turned broadside as she dug in the leaves for acorns. Not more than 18 yards away, a chip shot, a gimme, but I was unable to draw as I noticed two other deer, a small 5 point and a spike were looking in my direction. That is when a seventh deer I hadn't seen before showed up. He was big, he was aggressive and he was respectable in antlers. A fairly symetrical 8 point whose antlers were at least 8 inches beyond his ear tips. He stopped at 15 yards with the doe, now 10 yards away, between me and him. he got behind her and lip curled. I looked at the other deer and they were watching him. I lifted my bow and drew in one motion picked a spot in the crease of his front leg and body. I released and heard a "WHACK!" my arrow was vibrating violently in a 2 inch thick branch I had apparently looked right through all of 5 yards from me. All the deer ran a short distance back the way they came and then angled off at a less hurried gait. I just stood there shaking my head in disbelief. Then I laughed, God has a sense of humour and I got the joke. I retrieved my arrow returned it to my quiver and that's when my knees started shaking as it hit home that I had just had a close encounter with a P&Y buck. Not the biggest buck I had ever seen in the woods but The biggest I had seen with a bow in my had within range and gotten a shot at. Well that is why they call it hunting.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer 1, Curtiss 0
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 04:26:00 PM »
Good story thanks for sharing.  I bet you'll  look for limbs next time.  :biglaugh:
Andrew

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
I got a piece of sapling with an arrow and broadhead in it mounted on my camp wall in line with some deer racks it happens.My guest look and laugh at me more than looking at the horns.Kip

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »
Yeah good story, sounds more like a tie (Deer 1, Curtiss 1) though since you get to keep the memories.   ;)

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 04:35:00 PM »
Hey at least you got a shot. I know too well about those limbs you dont see till your arrow is stuck in them or deflected by them.  :knothead:
High on Archery.

Offline Old Ways

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
I feel your pain brother. I once had a huge 10 less tha 15 yards from me. He stopped broadside with me at full draw. A small tree like that was a foot from his side. I knew i could shoot past it but in that all important moment of release I looked right at the tree. And that is right where the arrow went. He looked at it for a second as if making fun of me and then ran off. Unlike you I almost cried.

Better luck next time.
"You dishonor an animal if you take it's spirit without knowing  and respecting the way it lived."

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »
Cool Story!...Glad when you heard "WHACK" it wasn't your bottom limb tip breaking off... :eek: ...Kinda scared me... :scared: ... when I got to that point reading...

>>-----> mike <-----<<

PS... That happened to someone I know... :( ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 05:40:00 PM »
Great story! An encounter like that you will not soon forget, a lot of times we remember the almost better than the ones we get. It's good that you have a sense of humor, better to laugh it off then to storm out of the woods in a rage. next year he will be bigger and the thought of him will keep you coming back for more.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Hood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
Sorry to hear you didn't get him Curtiss.
At least you enjoyed the hunt and will be able to relive it many more times as the memory will last forever.

Robert
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players.
Performers and portrayers, each another's audience.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »
put on my ASAT 3D Pro-Vanish leafy suit and strung my Crooked Stic longbow strapped on a Great Northern bow quiver and walked slowly and as quietly as possible into the woods  
:bigsmyl:  As stealthy as a big ol ex-marine could be huh Curtis??? Just teasin bro. Sounds like a great time anyhow.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Brutus Hedgeapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 07:47:00 PM »
Curtiss, Sorry you didn't get to take him home, but your story was cool!
 Memories.

Brutus

Offline Brutus Hedgeapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
Curtiss, Sorry you didn't get to take him home, but your story was cool!
 Memories.

Brutus

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
Shot right thru the heartwood !  Happened to a friend before.  He didn't act quite as dignified as I'll bet you did.  Sorry you had that bad experience, but hey...You saw deer !  I didn't see or hear a single deer my last time out (monday).
ChuckC

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »
Yep!

The bad thing is, this isn't the first one I've shot, just the biggest.

Dennis

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
That's one you won't forget
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 02:35:00 PM »
yea it is something that will haunt me the rest of my life. It would seem I am not the only one to have something like this happen. That is comforting in a way.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
By the way, The tip of my Wensel Woodsman didn't curl. LOL
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©