3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hunting in blue jeans?  (Read 701 times)

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
hunting in blue jeans?
« on: October 26, 2008, 01:22:00 PM »
has anyone had success hunting in blue jeans on the ground without deer seeing them, I hunt with them in my treestand but thats because theres a camo skirting around the seat
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: hunting in blue jeans?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »
Deer are pretty much color blind.  Blue is as good as gray to them.  If you don't mind the potential noise and non-insulating properties of jeans, go ahead.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
Do it all the time. Don't normally wear camo. Critters see movement first. Many times I've stood motionless wearing a  flourescent orange vest,(rifle season), and had animals pass nearby.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »
denim is very noisy compared to other softer fabrics.  the blue wouldn't be a problem.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
i used to do a lot of hunting in south africa in jeans killed lots of animals with em the fabric is tuff good for leopard crawling but you get a bit hot.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 12:43:00 AM »
I've hunted on the ground in blue jeans for years Ian!!!!!

I've also killed more deer while wearing blue jeans than I have wearing anything else.....     :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline The Great Jashu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 01:18:00 AM »
Even though others have had success with it. Deer do not see colors like a human, yet do see some colors very well. Especially shades of blue and yellow. Its all in a deers eye compared to a humans. A deer has more light gathering rods and minimal cones (color receptors) while a human has more cones and fewer rods. This allows a deer to have much better night vision and humans to have better color vision. There are different levels of being "color blind" and vary from species to species. A deer doesnt see in vibrant colors like most humans, but also doesnt see the world through complete black and white like you would watching an old television set. Yellows and blues are colors a deer sees very well. Blaze Orange would show to a deer as a brighter color, especially with a dark background, yet allow other humans to see a hunter clearly. So, with the fact that blue is a color deer will notice and see clearly, I would never hunt in Blue jeans.
No hunter should feel guilty for killing a deer that doesnt meet someone else's expectations.

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »
One fall day I had just relocated a tri-pod and wanted to check it out.  I was wearing blue jean shorts, a blue tank top and deck shoes, I was up in the tri-pod when a nice 5 point buck came strolling by. Took him thru both lungs at 7 yds.  He never gave me a glance.

To answer your question, jeans won't hurt a bit.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline The Great Jashu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 09:38:00 AM »
I never said it couldnt be done.. But to say it "wont hurt a bit" is not true. There will always be the case where a deer will not notice you. In a high pressue situation or with mature animals, blue is not your friend. Why take the chance???
No hunter should feel guilty for killing a deer that doesnt meet someone else's expectations.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
Scientists/biologists are unsure what a deer can see.  They conjecture that they can see some blues and yellows, etc., based on the makeup of the eye.  My experience is if you are still, they can't tell one color from another.  They can smell very well and they can detect movement easily.  Sound is also quickly detectable if not natural.

I have been close to lots of deer in all kinds of weather, wearing anything but camouflage.  It is all about movement or lack thereof...not colors.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »
The color of blue jeans won't cause you any problems. I have killed plenty of deer with blues jeans and a blaze orange coat.

The insulative properties of denim, when wet, are horrible though.

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »
Nothing ever works all the time.  The greatest camo pattern in the world will still let you get busted by a smart animal.  Scientific hypothesis changes all the time.  As George said, they conjecture that the animal can see some blue and yellow.  Do they know that to be fact, the answer is no.  Be still, be careful, and you will kill deer.  In high school I would go straight from football practice to the woods and hunt the wind in my practice clothes.  I killed several deer that way.  If you are comfortable in the jeans, wear them.  But most of all, do what makes the hunt enjoyable for you.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline The Great Jashu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
I had no idea all that time I spent in biology  was a hypothesis or conjecture. 6 years of college down the drain!

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »
No My Friend, NOT down the drain!!!!! 6 years of college will help you get a VERY good job!!!!!

It will not however,help you kill more deer.....

Only 30 years of experiance will help you do that!!!!!    ;)
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
That's good woodchucker, Jashu, no one is doubting your "expertise" or academic achievement, congratulations on graduate level work.  However, the question asked for opinions which were given.  Do not be offended by others opinions.  It will shorten life and give you grey hairs.  That's what's great about this site.  Hunting, traditional hunting in particular, is an experience that is unique to the individual, and each has their own personal expectations and desires.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
I hunt from the ground in levi's 501 jeans,I do not use treestands or ground blinds myself while deer or elk hunting...I've done it for more then 40 plus years and never had a problem as yet....But as mentioned above none movement is the key.I ai'nt gonna get into the can deer see color end of this (until a real deer posts and says he can't see color).While in Que'bec bear hunting last spring(from a treestand).I actually had a bear smelling the end of my boots.Point blank..that bear never saw me wearing my blue jeans....But if your are real still and only shoot at critters that ai'nt looking your way.That seems to work best for me....bowdoc

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
The worst thing about jeans is thier wicking. walk ia field with a heavy dew and in 10 minutes you soaked to above the knees. I like wool pants, warm,wear light ones, cold wear heavy ones. Plus wool is silent.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »
You can hunt in fluourescent yellow if you want. If you're not still, it don't matter what you're wearing. Good luck !

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »
Camo is over rated.  Movement, wind and scent control are the key to a successful hunt.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
i hunt in jeans a lot, as many have said STAY STILL!!! its not camo i hate its the companys i hate that try to make you think their camo is the way to go and you definitly need it. they are getting rich by selling a concept. i refuse to wear camo when my wool and plaid work just as well and are so much cheaper to buy its staggering! 2 days in a row now i have had deer at 5 yards looking directly at me and they did not bust me. they DID bust me when i moved however! camo makes me laugh.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©