3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fawn Bleat - Use them??  (Read 312 times)

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Fawn Bleat - Use them??
« on: October 26, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
I'm hunting in an earn-a-buck area and the action has been pretty slow so far.  I've seen a few does but nothing close.  I want to get a doe in the freezer before the inevitable happens and I end up with a nice buck standing in front of me and can't shoot it. (happened last year)
I picked up a fawn bleat, thought I would give it a try and see if it brings in any does. The directions say it makes the sound of a fawn in distress and the does motherly insticts brings them in to check things out.
Anyone ever use these?  Do they work?  Would this years fawns be too old at this time to make this bleat call usefull?
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fawn Bleat - Use them??
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »
Burnsie, it is getting a little late for the motherly instinct to make them come running. How ever, I find the occasional use of the bleat does bring in some curious deer. The rut is getting close and the bleat has been know to bring in bucks too. I find a general deer attractant scent works good for getting does around. Nothing too strong, just plain doe pee.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »
I have shot a ton of deer using one. Never tried the distress sound though.  I bet atleast 70% respond.  Usually works better than a grunt call for me anyway.

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
does are still with their young'uns here. I been looking for a fawn call but no local stores have it.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
I've used one for the past 5 or so years.  Works best early season(esp. destress call), but will use sparingly through out the rest of year.
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
You can make bleats with a predator call that'll do just fine. Really works well on mule deer at times. Never tried specifically for whitetails cause it's always been mule deer come to me. I hunt an area that has both types of deer, so far smarter than me this year.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
Do it all the time with my mouth/voice. . . call lots of deer in.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline hit or miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
I use one of the can calls and it really works good on yearlings when the does chase them off.

They come trucking in at high speed looking for momma.  Cracks me up every time.

I did call in a 6 point with it last year.  Didn't get him though.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
Thanks, guys
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline novahunterpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 01:00:00 AM »
I do think it does work.  Ive used the fawn in disstress call many tines even in the late seasone (jan) and had it work, but i find it works best early on.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©