3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Questions on *building* strings.  (Read 265 times)

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
Questions on *building* strings.
« on: October 26, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
I've used the search and learned a lot. Still have some questions though.

1. Do even the "best" flemish twists still have the loose strands that stick out?  Or is this just a possible byproduct?  Is there a way to keep the loose ends "inside"?

2. Serving.  On my compound I only centerserve about 3".  Any real reason to go longer than your 3fingers+nock width? (Granted, we're not chasing every possible FPS and we all need a built in margin or error...but is 7-8" really needed?)

3. Endless loops.  How long do servings need to be on the loops?  Can't find a rule of thumb on this.  People complain that they're louder...has anyone tried or played with padding the served area?

4. Halo for end serving?.....AND does that stuff come in any colors besides black and white?
Micah 6:8

Offline gatorgar

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Questions on *building* strings.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
I usually use a heavy coat of wax to tame the loose strands on a flemish string.  Almost looks like they were built by someone who knew what they were doing.
I have heard that more area is served on a trad bow to help with string wear.  The person that told me this said that as the string brushes against your sleeve, arm, it wears down quite a bit and the extra serving helps with that.
Keep in mind, I have only built about ten strings so I may be wrong, it's been known to happen
Sarrel's BlueRidge Takedown Longbow 3pc
62" 53#@28"
Easton XX75 400   250gr up front
Have you noticed that the times you don't get nothing while hunting, are usually the most fun you've ever had.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
for #2 -

I make it just long enough so the clips on my bow square engage the centre serving.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Elkhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
#1 - yes, there will always be some that stick out. I cut all the loose ones off. But some are tucked under - just enough to hold and after some shooting they may come out. It's hard to get them all to stay in as you don't know where they all end . . .

#2 - You can serve to any amount that you want. I serve the normal length on all my strings. I think it helps with wear if making contact with the arm guard/arm area. I have some that I personnaly use that only has about 3.5" on them just as you suggest.

I have switched to Brownell products and haven't used BCY products for a while, so not sure what colors Halo comes in at this time, check their website.

Since all I make are flemish strings I can't answer the other questions.

Michael

Offline p1choco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 01:33:00 AM »
#1 - It's inevitable.  Cut, melt, wax down, or wrap with yarn.  

Like Elkhntr said with #2.  It helps with wear if making contact with you arm.  

#3 - I wrapped yarn (bow hush) around the end serving or put felt along the string groove.  Was only an issue with my recurves.

#4 - I think Halo comes in Red too.  

Only make flemish so can't help out too much with the last two questions.
Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country.

- Calvin Coolidge

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 07:17:00 AM »
#3... depends on the width of the bow limb of the bow your are making it for.

For a fairly narrow limb a 3 1/4" served area will give you a nice size loop. On a wider limb 3 1/2" might be better.

Measure the loop of an old string and "guesstimate".
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
1. Do even the "best" flemish twists still have the loose strands that stick out? Or is this just a possible byproduct? Is there a way to keep the loose ends "inside"?

Yes.  You can trim them off if you want, but sooner or later some will work loose.  Just snip them off.  Nail clippers work fine on dacron, end cut pliers work on FF materials.

2. Serving. On my compound I only centerserve about 3". Any real reason to go longer than your 3fingers+nock width? (Granted, we're not chasing every possible FPS and we all need a built in margin or error...but is 7-8" really needed?)

The serving isn't just for your fingers.  It also protects your string if you slap your arm guard.

3. Endless loops. How long do servings need to be on the loops? Can't find a rule of thumb on this. People complain that they're louder...has anyone tried or played with padding the served area?

Like Charlie said, depends on the loop size needed.  Or, if you mean below the loop, around 5" seems to be the rule of thumb.  They are louder, especially on recurves where you get limb slap--most servings are harder than most string materials, so it will make more noise when slapping the limb.  I shoot mainly longbows/selfbows with flemish strings, so I haven't tinkered with trying to quieten an endless.

4. Halo for end serving?.....AND does that stuff come in any colors besides black and white?

Halo will work for end servings (I prefer 62XS).  It does come in several colors.  The list I have on hand says:  black, white, red, blue, green, OD green, brown, purple, yellow, pink, flourescent green, orange, teal, and tan.  E-mail [email protected] for a current list.

Chad

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »
Appreciate it guys.

Think I may try endless first.  As I'm strange sort of perfectionist.  If a bow comes with a flemish string or if I bought a flemish string that had the fuzzies coming out of it I wouldn't care too much.  Trim 'em and go on about my way...but if I made a string that had fuzzies it'd drive me crazy.
Micah 6:8

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©