3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Making knifes from old files???  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Making knifes from old files???
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
I've been carrying a knife my father made for me out of a file every season since I started hunting deer.  It still gets the job done  ;)  

Files can make very good knives, but like knives made from any other type of steel, it's only as good as the heat treatment.  If you don't want to mess around with annealing it (softening it) and then hardening and tempering after you're done working it, I'd recommend throwing it in a toaster oven at 400 degrees for an hour or so to draw the temper out a little and then as Dan said above, go S-L-O-W.  This will make it easier to work and a whole lot less brittle than the file is to begin with.

Grind barehanded and keep a bucket of water close by just in case the steel starts to get too warm.  Notice I didn't say too hot  :)   When you get it close to shape and the bevels done pretty well switch to files and smoot everything out.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
Scratch that!  Ignore everything everyone has said!  Files are junk!  Send 'em to me and I'll dispose of 'em for ya!  ;)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »
Alrighty then what size file should I use to make a skinner? Would Like it to have a nice little round belly and maybe a gut hook?... Think the biggest I got is a 10 inch Nicholas Bastart file... Could I heat it up with  the blowtorch and thin it out on an anvil I have on my work bench??
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »
String Cutter,

If you heat it and forge it, first GRIND OFF THE TEETH. Otherwise, you'll drive the teeth into the body of the file and make a weak discontinuous surface.

Further, pretty much all old files, and as far as I know new ones, are made of high carbon steel. If you have a wood stove, just toss the blade in with the wood (to one side of the pile, not on top) and leave it til morning. Done that lots of times with great results for springs and blades.

After that treatmen, you can rough it out with a hack saw.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »
Jim, tossing the file in the wood stove...
Does that soften it up for easier "working"?
After that, do you need to retemper it, or use it as is?
Dan

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2007, 11:45:00 PM »
Does heating up cherry red then putting it in water or oil harden it of sofen it??? How about Heating it up red and letting it cool over night???.... Can I sofen it up to work then make it real hard again before I put an edge on it??? How would I go about doing that????? I'm sure there's alot of guys here that would like to know how it all works.
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2007, 03:33:00 AM »
Take a looky   HERE  

Ths should explain really simply, how to go about dealing with your steel. This is actually for 01 toolsteel, but the same temperatures etc.... work fine for old files too.

The only bit you'll really need (forget all the metallurgy stuff) is 2/3 of the way down the page, 'Guide to Hardening and Tempering O-1 Tool Steel'
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
At the risk of branching out here, I'm wondering about surgical scissors as a metal source.   I happen to have quite a lot of them.  If you anneal them by any of the means described above and then grind carefully, would the steel be good, bad or indifferent for a knife?

Another question, because you all have gotten me interested, would someone recommend a couple of good basic, "Knife Making for Dummies" type books that are in print.   Getting some books is always my first step...
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
Before you guys put a lot of work into files, because some of the newer ones are case hardened (lesser quality steel) & aren't good for blades, I'd recommend heating  the tang to non magnetic & quenching it in room temp water.
Then put on a pair of safety glasses & gloves, put the file in a vise, tang up, & hit it smartly with a hammer. . . If the tang snaps off, or shatters like glass, the file's a good one for making a blade. If it bends, or just cracks,or takes more than one sharp rap to break, it's too soft & most likely won't be hardenable enough for a blade. When you quench a blade, you want that hummer to be as hard as it can be. Then you'll draw the hardness back during the tempering process.

JMO . . (based on making blades from files)

Dick,
If the scissors are stainless, they may have to be cryogenically hardened. Some types of stainless require entirely different hardening techniques, yet other types, (martensitic) are hardenable by using the standard tool steel methods.
The $50. Knife Shop by Wayne Goddard is probably the most down to earth, getting started making good knives on the cheap, book out there today. It's mostly about forging blades, but there's enough about tools,heat treating, stock removal (filing/grinding) info in it to make it worthwhile for any beginning knife maker.

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2007, 04:46:00 PM »
Dick, those scissors are more than likely stainless and the heat treatment of that steel is a whole nother animal.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2007, 06:27:00 PM »
thanks, guys.... so much for the scissors.   I took me off to Barnes & Noble for lunch and came back with Goddard's book and one by Barney and Loveless.    Lots of good info.   I honestly don't know how much I want to get into actually working with the forging and tempering of metal, though I'd like to at least give it a try.   I do remember having a lot of fun working with blades to make knives.  I know I have a box of blades downstairs... but do you think I can find them... Hah!  

I always start with the books, but the best way I learn is by watching and doing.  I'll ask around next shoot I go to and see if I can't locate someone locally who'd be willing to get me started and keep me on the straight and narrow.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©