3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: any body ever been attacked by owl  (Read 1311 times)

Offline cooncrazy

• Trad Bowhunter
any body ever been attacked by owl
« on: October 27, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »
was walking out of my stand tonight when all of a sudden i heard wind though feathers and next thing i know an owl knocked my bow out of my hands scared the crap out of me i had 4 arrows in my bow quiver with white dip and 2 white feathers it must have seen the movment and thought it was super from now on im using a cover on my feathers lol thought i would share and get a laugh
walk softly and carry a big stick

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: any body ever been attacked by owl
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
a couple times know they swerved at the last secound when i moved. usally after my string silencers or fletching.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
i think i would have craped my pants!!  :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
I was buzzed by a great gray owl once (big frigger) and I had a cool little eastern screech owl (or possibly a northern saw-whet - it was dark) perch in the tree right next to me a couple of weeks ago.

I've never been attacked by one though.

On the 4th, a house wren perched on my arrow for a bit and sang at me - close enough? :-D

Offline cooncrazy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
yea he just sat on the ground for like 5 seconds on my bow lookin at me lol
walk softly and carry a big stick

Offline Tyler Carlson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
About 12 years ago, my dad was sitting on stand an hour before shooting light and had an owl swoop in and attack his face. The scratches were about 3" long. I usually get buzzed(within 4 feet of my face) anywhere from 2-5 times a year. It always scares the heck out of me!
"The desert's quiet and Cleveland's cold..."

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
Been swung at on at least 4 occasions by barred and gray owls. Kinda crazy. Had a pair take turns at me in a ground blind. After I swung my bow at one the other would swoop in on me. Had a big Gray in Colorado take multiple swings at me before a self defense move convinced him to find something smaller to mess with.
Hence the name: owlbait.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Flyrite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
I have heard of it happening to a guy, but I can't remember WHO, WHO!
…finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun. (John Voelker)

Offline BONES in Virginia

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
I got hit in the face by one about a week ago before daylight.I was playing a game on my phone about an hour before daylight,i guess the light it was putting off caught its attention.WHAMM!! I was hit directly in the face.I was dang near knocked out of the tree and got a nice mark starting above my right eye extending down my face.Truth be known I am not sure if it was an owl or a hawk.But it whacked the heck out of me....

Offline SilverTip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
I had a battle with one back in my Chicken fighting days, but never hunting. the horned owls here get huge and and at night they aint scared of nothing. they can hurt ya.

Billy
If Jesus Christ guides your arrow, its really hard to miss.  Billy

Offline Pluck Yew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
I've had a very large great horned owl swoop within inches of me and the thing is they are so quite it really startles you...I've had a little screech owl perch about 2 feet from me while in a tree stand..pretty cool...I love owls..We have a owl near our house that you can hear every night...with a very low ..HOOT..HOOT...HOOT...

:scared:    :scared:    :scared:  

Shawn...
Give 'em the bird!

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
Had a screech owl attack my string silencer as I was pulling my bow up to the stand about 3 weeks ago.
Also had a great horned owl come out of the trees directly into the windshield of my 3/4 ton GMC one morning, pre-dawn, talons out-stretched. My hunting buddy ducked, then sat up and said " that owl must have some big ones if he's willing to take on this truck".

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
Once had a great horned owl go after the tassel on my stocking cap once (scared me to death), and I had a snowy owl try for the Union 76 ball on my radio antenna (he didn't fare so well, as he missed and hit the canopy of my pickup truck).

RonP

Offline BroMark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »
I got hit in the back of the head one time walking out of a hollow right at dark - I had just roosted a turkey.  It knocked my cap off and scared me big-time!  I checked my head for a few minutes feeling for blood, but escaped unharmed.  WHEW!
Blood bought - twice born - heaven bound!

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »
A husband of a friend of mine from high school days had his eye basically removed by a big owl. Never heard it coming of coarse. He was covered and it must've caught the glint of his eye. Think they saved the eye but he can't really see out of it anymore.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 11:40:00 PM »
Once by an owl and once by a sharp shinned hawk...Both were going after my mustash! Blocked both with my bow.  :) ....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 01:35:00 AM »
:D    :D    :D    :readit:    :bigsmyl:    :help:  owlzilla
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 01:38:00 AM »
i used to have a big white barn owl i took dead chickens to when i was a kid...scared the hell outta me when that head spun around   :scared:    :scared:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Negissimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 01:52:00 AM »
I was once elk hunting with my Dad. We were watching the edge of a meadow when we hear "whoosh whoosh whoosh" and all the sudden a goshawk takes my Dad's his hat off his head. He looks at me and says, "Now I know what a mouse hears right before he dies!"

A friend was playing with his finger-tab on the stand when an owl grabbed his hand and about took him out of the tree.

Another time I had an owl land close to my tree at about dark. I ran my hand up and down my leg to see what he'd do. He zoned in on my hand in an instant and flew right at me, I stood up at the last second and he veered off. It was cool but I honestly about fell from the tree trying to deter him.
>>--->

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 07:04:00 AM »
buzz dived my a mad momma great horned when I climed the tree to her nest as a kid. Raised a couple of orphaned great horned owls also and turned em loose when they were grown,mean buggers.

Had a kite in my box stand onemorning on my lease in Texas,never did figure out how it got in there but had been in there a few days, let it out and it was fine.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©