3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: heavy bone threshold 650 gr, what about deer?  (Read 599 times)

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: heavy bone threshold 650 gr, what about deer?
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 11:16:00 PM »
Steve...like I said..If you want to use a lighter setup and bounce an arrow off a shoulder blade...no problem.

I request the following ONLY because you are defending a light arrow and denying the proven heavy arrow research.....Give us all traditional hunters a reason NOT to use a heavy arrow. (Inaccuracy is not a suffucient answer)
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »
Steve,

I'm obvioulsy a proponent of "anything that helps" group, but I can say I didn't read into Riche's post that to ignore Ashby's research is "irresponsible"... but he might have.

It's so easy to feel "attacked" and feel a need to make a broad based statement in return. I hope, Steve, you don't feel I'm doing that to you, but I'd like to comment to some of your statements.

What I thought I saw Richie comment to was that the Ashby data is rather undeniable. I believe that the data undeniably shows that heavy arrows, single bevel, tanto tips and sharp...super sharp heads IMPROVES penetration, etc. Not that everyone should run out and do it all...but that it's hard to understand how anyone can say the data doesn't support better penetration...period.

It's all tied together:
Penetration is tied to speed, weight, perfectly tuned arrow not losing energy en route.  A heavy head/arrow combo equates to more retained energy and it "helps" improve penetration, if every thing else is in harmony as well.

There is a thread on here of a chap shooting a 1000 gr. arrow and big single bevel on a deer, hit the off shoulder and SHATTERED the leg bone. Quick recovery! I'd like that margin of safety and insurance, but won't shoot a 1000 gr. arrow!  :)  

Where I'd politely disagree with your above statement is to suggest that "for NA game, it's simply not true!"

I respectfully disagree. some light fast arrow set ups, just won't punch through bone, deflect and lose penetration often resulting..often, not always, in a lost deer!

Soft tissue is always the goal... When shooting instinctively, I quit worrying about actual distance... if...and another giant IF...IF I stay within my lethal range limits...Everyone is different.

I think a closer reading of Ashby's research and articles, although a daunting task at times for they are kinda technical, you'll see that your one statement about "if I hit bone...I'm not near vitals" is somewhat of a misnomer.

From a tree, you can easily be off a slight bit, hit a shoulder blade...but vitals lie just beneath! A good penetration set up...whether that be a well tuned shaft, heavier well tuned shaft...single bevel head...and super sharp edge..it's totally reasonable once that shot has occurred, to reach vitals through improved penetration..not a African Buffalo, but you can punch through such a bone area and stop the deer and recover it.

Deer aren't armor coated. Nope. But we all or most all of us, honestly have lost a deer to a marginal shot...even ones we SWORE were dead nuts vital shots...but never found blood or the deer! Makes us sick. Soem of us have chosen to latch onto the research cited to provide some measure of insight...and it's provided us with a way to try to do EVERYthing we can to never have another "can't understand what happened" experience.

NA animals are lost every year...so that alone suggests that there is a "REASON" to "CONSIDER" anything that we can learn to lessen those situations! If it simply "weren't true" then we'd not loose deer...penetration again can be a poor set up, poor BH sharpness and many other factors...but it doesn't discount that heavy set ups can HELP.  :)  

I for one would like to be clear that while I embrace the Ashby stuff, and choose to try to employ most of it...I don't consider anyone who doesn't to be irresponsible or unethical...

I just ask that if and or "when" that time comes that you do loose an animal, then...then perhaps you'll reconsider and see if there is ANYthing in the Ashby work that might make sense and be worth a try...

Peace out...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »
Oh yea....busting through the shouder blades with a heavy arrow is a dead mamajama.  

Pricking a shoulder blade with a light arrow gets you on the "Pin Cushion lost deer statistic list."
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »
10 gr per pound of draw weight does the job also a cut on contact broadhead or a snuffer or woodsman that are really sharp will do the job I do not think you need 650gr but  550 gr you are still going to get good tragectory and in my book shots should only be taken in your range that you are comfortable with if that is 20 yards ok if it is 10 stay to that then the heavy arrow does not matter as far as trajectory is concerned
Gord

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »
Having nothing to do with Ashby, I've liked around 10gpp arrow weight out of my hunting longbows for a number of years. I also like 65pound draw longbows, so I normally put together my hunting arrows as close to 650grains as I can. This has worked well for me over the years without complaints.

I have a new batch of cedars set up for my newest 65pound longbow that weigh right at 650grains. I also started using some tapered carbons that come in around 675grains. Both work well. Over the last week I put together some new tapered carbons that come in just over 700grains which is close to 11gpp. All of the arrows fly great but the latest heavier arrows really take it up a notch on penetration. Not sure if Ashby's 650grain mark is intended to be universal, but for me, when I broke 700grains it clearly crossed the threshold making for a clear and marked difference over the 650-675grain arrows. I think I've hit a sweet spot with this combination.

As to any accuracy complaints due to any increase in weight/arc, I don't see it inside 35yards. I actually find the heavier arrow easier to shoot accurately. I do not notice the arc difference in the same manner as Steve B describes. I guess I would if I used an aiming point or reference mark placed on a specific spot at a given distance. But I don't as I use more of an instinctive aiming style. In hard and fast aiming terms, from point blank out to 35yards or so, I'm under my point-on with both the heavy arrow as with a lighter arrow, but the heavier arrow is always closer to point-on at any distance out to the 35yards. From point blank out to that 35yard distance you're almost always up into the target with any sight picture moreso than the lighter arrow which makes the heavier arrow more forgiving to me for error. At greater distances the rolls change, but for hunting distances the heavier arrow suits me well:)

later,
Daddy Bear

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »
Lt. Dan, as mentioned above and by me earlier, I honestly dont think you will have problem breakin ribs goin in, but coming out may be another story, and if ya catch the far shoulder even in the scapula ya probably arent goin out the other side, I am in agreence with Richie on this, shoot as heavy a bow as ya can accurately, and try to get up above 600 grains. the exit wound is VERY important, especially if ya hunt from tree stands where a high entrance is the norm. This weekend I for some reason went back to a 560 gr arrow from my 60lb recurve, I shot a doe, the entrance was high and did not exit after hitting the far shoulder, luckily she fell in sight, but VERY little blood to trail by if she had gone farther or I would have to track at night.. I have returned to my senses and put the 680 gr 2219's back in my quiver..Ya just have to prepare for the worst case.. and at my shootin range of around 20yds and under, there is no noticable diffrence in trajectory of these 2 arrows, but there is noticable penetration diffrence when things go wrong..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Lt. Dan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 12:11:00 AM »
I got it.  Deer ribs are no big deal.  I just needed to know cause I used to use a 140gr nosler partition so I never worried about it.  I plan on using the 42# during the offseason and hunt with 50-55#.  Thanks for the info.
"Bring your passion and leave your ego behind."

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 01:04:00 AM »
140gr!!!!

ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY!!?!?!?????????????

Cutting width must've been somewhere between 6.5mm and 7mm!   I bet you had NEGATIVE FOC as well!  Geez...

:campfire:

Sorry, thought this thread could use some "lightening" up.
Micah 6:8

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2008, 01:55:00 AM »
I've lost a couple of deer to hits that IMO were heavy bone related and my lack of UMPFHH was the reason I didn't get another 4-6" penetration and kill the deer or break the backbones. Big deer - 200-250# bruisers from western KS.

Anyway, after quite a bit of shooting/playing I've ended up with weighted carbons, 240 gr up front and Zwixkey Eskimoes. Total weight in the 680 gr range I imagine.

What it does for me more than anything is gives me confidence I can punch through even heavier bones if need be. You can see in practive that the arrows THUMP harder than a 500 grain combo does.

Next Friday I'll put it all to the test. I know its very dissappointing to lose an animal to penetration issues, maybe nothing worse  :(

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©