3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question on Lone Wolf climbing stand.  (Read 582 times)

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Question on Lone Wolf climbing stand.
« on: October 28, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
I'm looking for a new open front climbing tree stand.  I like the Lone Wolf Alpha because of the large 19.5" X 30" platform.  I was just wondering if the seat will fold up when standing?  The Summits seem to have a lot smaller platform.  I'm looking for something very light weight.  The LW is 15 pounds!  Any other suggestions?  Thanks.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question on Lone Wolf climbing stand.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »
I like my lone wolf a lot. Have used some summits in the past and they are good stands - but I feel the lone wolf is in a class by itself - super quiet - and the seat can be set away (into the tree) using a bungee cord - easy to stand straight up next to the trunk - although I would say to never get your feet next to the tree on any climber - keep em out just a little. For bowhunters Lone Wolfs are the only stand we recommend.
<>< <----------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
Sold my summit for a LW and wouldn't go back.   yeah its a little heavier, but folds nearly completely flat and interlocks for carrying (I've got the sit-n-climb), is easy to attach my fanny pack to...and is BY FAR the quietest stand I have ever used.

I use the locking straps (that lock the seat to the platform, and when I stand, the cusioned sling seat slides back quietly to the tree....using my hamstrings to push it back as i stand).

my ONLY complaint with the LW is I wish the seat section was a little bit wider...sometimes with my 38" waist and a couple layers plus wool it can get a little snug left to right.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »
My question was specifically about the hand climber model.  You guys have any experience with them?

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »
I am talking about the hand climber.
<>< <--------------<<<<<<<<

Offline PhilFloyd

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
I have been using a Summit Open Shot for a couple of years.  Heard so much about LW stands that I bought one this year.  I like that the LW folds flat, but it is heavier. It is more of an elbow climber that a hand climber.  The Summit does not fold flat, but that has not created much of a problem for me.  It is lighter.  They are both quiet while climbing, and they are both stable once up a tree.  I will be selling the LW.  Guess it is just a personal preference.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
I thought the LW was 15 pounds and the Summit 16 pounds?

Offline Passthru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
You should add about 2 lbs to LW's stated weights.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »
Yes - heavier ---- I don't know why - mine is old and when I bought it - it was sold as 14# or something - and I think mine is 20# - feels like it -- but it does travel well - low profile - very functional and all that.
<>< <---------------<<<<<<<<

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
Sold my Summit went with LW. Summit was noisier though a bit easier to climb with. You really can't go wrong with either but I love those sinching straps on the LW. A really solid feeling stand.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »
I like my LW, don't use it all that much. The seat does not fold up when I stand but there is enough room to stand. It is the most silent hand climber I have seen. Mine is several years old and is only 14#'s.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »
The platform depth is 24 3/4" for the summit and 30 for the LW.  That's a no brainer for me.  Do they measure them the same.  What do you think Cory?  Thanks to all so far.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
Platform is larger than most - 30 inches sounds correct - but I don't have it in front of me -  hunted it yesterday afternoon and Yes - no doubt "more" room than most stands of equal weight. When I am seated I tend to put my heels on each outer corner - resting my feet "off" the stand - but there is plenty of room to hold my feet and stance when standing - even with the seats set to sit - My 18 inch lacrosse are size 11 and can climb this stand easily ------------  The platform (for me) is enough to get around quietly - moving when needed - and shooting behind the tree if needed - at least most of behind the tree - obviously there is a blind spot - this with the seat "up" used set as Knee High - which is comfortable for me - Thighs level to the ground when sitting. Clarification on the seat folding - I mean I can fold mine (seat flipped up) - against the tree - OR - set it to sit - I do one or the other - depending on time of day - and the other option is to just hang the seat/climber section - way high and to the back - if you know you want to stay standing with everything "out" of your way.
I really like this lone wolf for afternoon hunts - I change trees constantly - deer almost never pick me out - entry is quiet enough - no noisier than squirrels - and I have no scent left on steps ever.
<>< <------------------<<<<<<<<

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »
I you go with the  i would get the sit an climb the seats more comfortable an climbs better. i have both hand an sit climb lonewolf  an a summit. The summit is my all day stand cuz its the most comfortable buy far but does not carry as easy. hope this helps
Bull

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 05:34:00 PM »
I have the alpha hand climber and like it for the most part.  Mine weighs right at 15# and packs like a dream.  The seat can be rigged to fold up when you stand by using the supplied bungee, but it is a hassle.  I usually don't worry about the seat since the platform is large enough to stand on.  I've used about every type of climber made and this stand wins hands down.  That being said I'm spoiled to using my lock-ons that have been pre-positioned when possible.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 05:58:00 PM »
I had one...hopefully they have updated the seat since a couple years ago.  I sold it after 3 hunts.  The seat went well past uncomfortable in the the downright painful range.   :eek:      :eek:       I only have a 34 inch waist, so I know it is not because I am too big for it.  I am currently spoiled by my Equalizer for hunting in Fl and the Summit Goliath  (oh so comfy!)  for hunting up North.

BTW: this was the sit & climb model
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »
Love mine.  I can have it set up, strappd to the tree and climbed in about 5 minutes.  It is plenty comfortable for 2-4 hours, can be a little rough going all day, but I've done many times.  I actually like sit and climb type climbers better, but for lightness, compactness and quietness you can't beat it.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
Buy the Lone Wolf Alpha, you will not regret it. I have 2, a 1999 model and a 2006 model. I prefer the 99 as the climber will just slide into the base and you can get out of the woods quick and quiet. The seat can fold up, but you should use a bungee on the seat if you atempt it. I have never had the seat get in the way, and I am in my 9th season with the alpha.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Passthru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »
I have the sit and climb and love it.  I bought mine last year and the old style seat wasn't very comfortable.  I put Summit seat on it and love it.  Hopefully the new style seat is better.  

One thing I really like about the sit and climb is having the ability to adjust the belts as I climb.  While facing the tree and sitting on the bar, you can pick up the base with the stabilizing straps and wrap your legs around the outside to hold it up.  Then you can lean over and adjust the belt.  Of course my harness is hooked up when I do that.  

The LW is slightly heavy, but is worth it.  I have a 13 lb Timbertall that stays home.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
For my hunting style my lone wolf climber is perfect. The seat wont get in the way. You won't be disappointed.

Jason
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©