3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question on Lone Wolf climbing stand.  (Read 581 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question on Lone Wolf climbing stand.
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
I use mine just like Cory does...have since the first year they came out with the traction band. As a matter of fact mine was converted from the original v-bar climber.

I still use it how the used to recommend with the bungie with the hook on it so it can be flipped up when you stand.

I love it and wouldn't change a thing about it!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
The new ones have tension straps so when you get to were you need to be you just tighten up an everything stays in place, an the base cant get a way from ya while climbing
Bull

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »
Cory's comments are my sentiments exactly. The Lone Wolf climber is my favorite stand. I like a climber cause I'm always hunting different spots and I can be strapped in to my safety belt from the ground up which is the safest way to climb.

Very quiet to climb with. You will need to use it a few times to learn how 'tight' to put the stand at the base of the tree so its angled correctly when you get to the height you want to hunt, but it won't take you long to figure that one out.

Seat comfort is determined by how high you set the seat and also at what angle. Again, you'll quickly learn whats most comfortable for you.....

Buy one, you won't be disappointed...
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
I'm with Wally - I have the older style nylon "hammock" seat, and so long as you get the height and the angle on the top half right you can sit in it all day.  That being said, if you get it wrong it can be very uncomfortable.  I like to have mine just a bit below parallel with the ground - that way you just ease out of the stand and the seat simply slides quietly out of the way.  It doesn't kill your hamstrings either.  My buddy bought a new one last year with the two-piece foam cushion seat, but you end up with the top portion a lot higher up to get the same seat height.  I like my seat better, I just wish I could have found an ol-man replacement web seat when they were still in business.  That would make my stand pretty much perfect for me.
"And that, my friends, is the minority vote."  -Bill the Butcher

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
I have a LW and love it, very stealthy. Tie down straps aren't worth a darn neither is shoulder straps, must upgrade over time. Had a summit viper with sitting rail, very comfortable. Rail got in the way for my bow limbs, and seat was hard to get up out of without to much movement, pant legs always got hung up as I carried it.

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
The LW hand climber is the bomb. I'm not a fan of heights, but even I don't need to fold the seat up (though I did a bit initially) as the platform is plenty big.

It's a great stand.
BD

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 07:16:00 AM »
I've hunted with the sit and climb for about 5 years now and loved it.  But this year I got the hand climber and actually like it alot more.  I personally wouldn't hunt out of any other climber!

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »
I use the bunge cord and some small screw in bow holder hooks under the seat strap. Hang a fanny pack and back quiver and keeps the seat steady when I fold it up when I stand. (Alpha)

I was checking out the LW website and noticed the strap that you can get to convert the hand climber to a sit and climb. Is it worth it? Anybody use one?
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
OK measured mine this morning - 30 X 19 1/2 --- but the actual platform you use is 27 X 19 1/2 - those extra inches go back along the sides that hug the tree 3 inches on each side - not actual foot placement inches - but helpful in the design for steadiness inches. Small item - but since measurement deck is important to you - I checked. Hey Ya'll another thing about these stands - and I prefer Chippewas in place for most morning hunts - and on ragged hardwoods on some afternoon hunts - but it is amazing how effective these lone wolfs are - we take a TON of deer out of em - even thow we use them only about a 1/3 of the time we hunt stands. They are deadly!
<>< <--------------<<<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
John,  If you want to make a sit and climb out of it, it works fine.  But personally I think it's just as easy to hand climb it.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 06:54:00 AM »
I have the hand climber and it works well.It carrys real good for the longer walks.It does not climb as easy as some stands but once up it is perfect for bow hunting.Don't pay any attention to the advertised 14lb thing.That is bogus to sell them.They weigh just over 17lbs.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2008, 07:13:00 AM »
The hand climer seat is Great.  It folds up flat against the tree very quietly with a bungie to keep it from falling.  I have no problem with comfort plus I keep the seat fairly high so standing up has very little movement.  I even purchased a 2nd seat that goes on out of state hunts with me in my duffle, that way I can convert anybody's climber stand base to a Hand Climber.

Also I have size 14-15 boots.  Even pack boots work for the climbing base...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »
A little hharder to climb with but I like the shot opportunities. I had a Summit Viper and bought the LW handclimber. I use the Summit base and the LW handclimber. It wont fold up to the tree(unless you strap it) but you can swing it around the tree and out of your way. I like the set-up thus far. The LW is not near as comfortable as the Summit IMO.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2008, 10:23:00 AM »
Well guys, I ended up going with something a little cheaper.  I was looking at $250-260 for a used one, and then would have to pay shipping.  I think the packability would have been really nice, but decided to go with one I thought would be more comfortable.  I bought a Summit Razor SS.  It has a nice looking sling seat that pushes out of the way when needing the room.  It has a sit/climb bar that folds underneath and out of the way for a fully open front.  It doesn't fold flat, and weighs a little more, but I think I will be able to spend more time in this one.  Thanks for all the help.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Rich LaBombard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
So many stands, so little time....

(Lone Wolf all the way. best money I have spent, besides my bow)

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
one of my biggest complaints about the summit was the cable & steel block assmebly being inserted into the hollow tube always made noise no matter how quiet and how much care I took.  the belt on the LW is way quieter.  (Also brush whacking off the hollow tube made a heck of a racket.)

I have had several Occasions  with the LW where I got up the tree only to discover a bedded deer nearby.  they never happened with the summit.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »
Ditto what hickstick said!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©