3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chasing Deer Away  (Read 659 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Chasing Deer Away
« on: October 28, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
OK, here's the problem - I ran into it again tonight and am looking for creative ideas.

Sometimes I get trapped in a stand at the end of shooting hours with deer I either can't shoot because they aren't quite close enough or aren't ones I wish to shoot.  I don't like to climb down out of a stand and teach them that I live in trees in their area.  I would really prefer to sneak out unnoticed.  

I've had deer hang around until it is too dark to even see them anymore.  Can't tell if they have even left or not.  But then when I climb down am treated to snorting and blowing and white flags waving in the dark.  I hate that!  :banghead:  

Sometimes I've had luck moving them off by talking to them in a loud voice.  They can't seem to pin point the source.  Other times they just freeze in place and won't move until they can figure out who's talking, so that doesn't always work.

Any other ideas?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chasing Deer Away
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
I usually "bark" at them. Deer don't wait, they hightail it out.  I do know some who carry rocks to throw out of the stand.

JDSIII
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
Yup, me too!! I try to sound like a yote' with the yip, yip and a howl at the moon type of deal. My Dad taught me that 40 years ago and at the time I thought " Yaeh Right!" well guess what it is very effective!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
i use to carry rocks if i was having that  problem.

that or i would have a soda can on the ground near my stand...one shot to that with a blunt and them deer up and high tail it out and have no clue where it came from.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
Wrist rocket  :D  pocket full of hickory nuts. May be considered baiting by some but ok by me  :D  PS sub your own local nuts

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
I just always get out of the stand as quietly as I can and walk back to the truck as quietly as I can.  My thought is that even if I scare them away, it's dark and they can't see me too well, and they're just running from noise.  I usually see them back there the next night (sometimes the next morning).
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
One of those little boat air-horns works good.    :p
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
Funny guys mention carrying rocks and hickory nuts! They are better for dropping every little while tomake th edeer think that a food source is falling to the ground. I do that a lot when I hunt the apple trees! Shawn
Shawn

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
I got stuck for a hour in a blind tonight Joe  :knothead:  

It was worth it though, I had a monster come in five minutes after shooting time tonight and there was no way I was going to let him know I was there.

When I did get out I spooked two different groups on the way out and like you said I hate it when that happens but none of them blew they just ran off.

Normally were set up so there passing through but tonight I think he was going to check a few scrapes before heading down to the fields and hung around some.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
I also try to sound like a coyote, has worked everytime so far.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »
Might have to try the coyote call or the dog bark - that sounds good!
Any others?
Good luck with that monster tomorrow Tracy!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 05:41:00 AM »
I snort & stomp,it works most of the time.But once in a while I'll get one that follows me out,snorting & stomping.They make me smile.
   Leland

Offline CTaggart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 05:45:00 AM »
How about using a deer wheeze call.  Deer will wheeze at the sign of danger and if you just give them a bunch of wheezes, they'll usually run off.  The reason this is so effective is that they don't know what they're running from. They just think another deer saw something they need to avoid.  In my opinion, if you mimic a coyote they'll avoid the area thinking that they'll be preyed upon.  Try it out, I think you'll like it.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 06:36:00 AM »
Shoot the biggest one, the rest will leave quietly   :bigsmyl:  Just kidding, I usually just climb down after it is dark.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 07:00:00 AM »
Joe... try concentrating on having the deer move closer... within shooting distance.  By trying to inforce your will telepathically they should leave the area pronto.

At least that's the way it works for me everytime I really want a deer to come close.

:bigsmyl:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 07:20:00 AM »
Joe,

Take a few dry sticks with you and snap them, that should do trick. The coyote/wolf howl will do the trick but if you do it from same stand regularily I can see the deer avoiding area period.
hunt it

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 07:27:00 AM »
Joe  I wish I had that problem.Try something diff. every nite and see what works best I guess.Kip

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 07:56:00 AM »
I lower my bow and bounce it up and down on the rope. They usually spook and go, but they don't look up in the tree, which is what I try to avoid.

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »
I have shot field points or blunts several feet in front of them but the bow on the rope is the best, I think. I need to have that problem more often.  :)
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »
I second the last two posts.  The bouncing bow works well, although I will admit that I had a young spike once actually come into the bow and startbobbing his head up and down and lookeld like he was going to play with it like a cat would a ball of yarn.  I had to yank the bow up to save it.  He spotted me when I did that.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©