3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chasing Deer Away  (Read 657 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chasing Deer Away
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
I just  turkey yelp my way out whether coming out of a tree, or leaving my ground blind.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roger Norris II:
I lower my bow and bounce it up and down on the rope. They usually spook and go, but they don't look up in the tree, which is what I try to avoid.
Ditto, though I have done the snort trick a few times.  One evening I watched two does stand 50 yards from each other and snort/stomp at each other for quite a while.

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »
I have always just made a loud Shhhhh sound by blowing through my teeth. That's back when I used to see deer.

Jim
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
My boys and I have an arrangement that if any one of us gets stuck out on a blind because of deer, one of us just comes to the rescue in the pickup.  They're used to getting run off by vehicles so it's no big deal.

Of course...sometimes all 3 of us get stuck then is makes for a late evening.  We absolutely will not leave the blind or make noise until we are as sure as we can be that there are no deer remaining in the area.

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
Cool thread. Good question and good answers!
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
Yeah, loads of good ideas here.  I like the suggestion to try different things on different nights so that whatever I use they don't hear it repeatedly.  

Had two 50 yards away right at dark again tonight.  They moved into some brush and I just sat for awhile hoping to give them enough time.  Tonight it worked.  I was able to move out after dark and didn't hear a thing.  But I was prepared to snort if need be!

Steertalker, I also use the pickup truck idea when hunting with friends.  I really think that is the best solution when you can.  Deer aren't bothered by vehicles.  But around home I hunt alone down in a marsh.  I sure don't want my wife driving down there looking for me!  :eek:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
I usually start owling at them.  They seem to walk off without being too spooked.
God is good, all the time!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©