3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Awsome day in the woods!!  (Read 252 times)

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
Awsome day in the woods!!
« on: October 28, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
I was busy all day and very bummed with this craptastic weather but around 2pm i looked outside and saw snow.  Man the bug bit me and I ran to the shop for my gear.

By the time I got to the woods the rain had started again but I wasn't going home so I started my still hunting.  Got into a small 4pt and a doe bedded up on the edge of a corn field and heavy timber...got to 10 yards from both with no shots before they busted me and took off.  They were burried in the thicket and thorns I was amazed how I even saw them!

About 30 minutes later crossing another field i spotted a doe about 80 yards out so I dropped to my belly and crawled all the way over.  Got in to about 25 yards before I got setup.  She moved in to 20 yards quartering away but i wanted a closer shot.  She then turned and walked straight to me and at 12 yards she knew something was wrong but I was hunched in a  ball and she couldn't tell what i was.  After a 10 minute stare down she bolted back to 30 yards and as she ran a doe in which i never saw 10 feet away ran behind her.  I zipped an arrow down range but grazed over her back and took a tuft of hair.  So now she is marked for future sightings!  I can't believe that doe sat and watched me the entire time and never moved even 10 feet away and I never saw her!  That blew my mind!

After i recovered my arrow the walk back to the truck I saw 2 doe on the opposite side of the field but they weren't moving.  I moved around the edge of the field but couldn't get any closer than 40 yards.  I tried an old fred bear trick by shooting well over the deers back and into the bushes behind her but instead of running towards me she bolted to the right.  It was worth a shot!

Most people have zero sightings on rainy miserable days but I had one of the best days ever out in the woods with so many close encnounters it was amazing!

One day soon me and the recurve are going to connect on a stalk Im determined damnit!!!

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Awsome day in the woods!!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
Too bad you live in New Jersey. The easiest animal I think to stalk is a javelina. They have terrible eye sight, but great noses. You can get 10 yards to one if you're stalking into the prevailing wind.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
one day when the money is right i would love to get out there and try!

im on a stalking kick Id love to spot and stalk everything right now LOL.

since Ive started still hunting and stalking the amount of game ive seen has gone up so much.

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »
Nice story man.  Sounds like a great day.  Good luck next time.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
thanks bud!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »
Way to go Tom ! Sounds like a great day to me too. You'll get them!

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 06:59:00 PM »
Sounds exciting!  Rainny days are my favorite!!!

blueline
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©