3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Seat for ground hunting??  (Read 658 times)

Offline bowdog1

• Trad Bowhunter
Seat for ground hunting??
« on: October 28, 2008, 11:40:00 PM »
Started hunting from ground using ghillie suit. Looking for most comfortable stool, bucket etc. Not interested in tree seats due to terrain. Need comfort,quiet,packable etc. Suggestions please.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Seat for ground hunting??
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 11:47:00 PM »
I just bought a Walkstool. Pretty expensive, but worth it I think. They are available in different heights. I got the Walkstool 65.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 12:02:00 AM »
Here are two good ones. I have the Niff-T Seat and I would like to have the Huntmore 360 Stool too. The Niff-T Seat is very light, small, convenient, versatile, comfortable (relative to its size), and otherwise well designed for stop and go hunting. The Huntmore 360 Stool is more of a stationary platform, like for use in a ground blind. I think you would prefer the Niff-T Seat for use with a ghillie suit if mobility and use on varied terrain was paramount. If comfort is the number one consideration, then having something larger with a backrest and more than a monopod support would be nice and the 360 Stool would fit the bill. Unfortunately the 360 Stool is not currently available, so you would have to find something else if you need it now. I ride bicycles a lot, so the Niff-T seat feels very good to me due to its saddle-like structure. It is not great for those with big posteriors though. A supplemental foam pad helps with longer sitting sessions and large rears. There are always the three legged stools from various companies like Primos, but they have their limitations on movement and height that is addressed by the two models I have mentioned here.

http://www.huntmore.biz/huntmore/home.html  

http://www.nifftseat.com/index.html

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 05:57:00 AM »
I had one made by a couple of guys on this site. I'm pretty sure one of them was Ray Hammond. He and another guy named Squirrelbait did the crafting and it's the most comfortable, packable, hunting chair I've ever owned. I can strap a pack, or my double bull to mine and I'm set to go. I did add a padded back cushion and seat cushion to mine, and I havn't noticed any discomfort at all. I have a pic someplace if I can find it.
N/A

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 07:20:00 AM »
Squirelbait is not making them right now, due to his work.  I contacted him to get my name on the list, so when he starts back, I'll be in line already.
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »
You can't beat a good old 5 gallon bucket IMHO!!!!!   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »
Get on Mike's (Squirrelbait) list.  The seats are well thought out, comfortable, rugged, and quiet.  Plus, you are supporting one of our own, not some commercial entity.  These are GOOD!  :thumbsup:
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »
I like my Niff-T seat.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
I use that double bull " magnum " is the larger of the two, that they offer.  Now we'll have to go to Primo's to get it

It is comfortable, it doesn't cut off circulation, it also has an adjustable lumbar pad.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
I like the double bull chair the small one. I have the large one too but usually keep it for the blind.  My usual set up it from the ground with gillie suit.

Its not perfect but for two hours or more of sitting its my choice.  I've tryed most all the other commercially avialable stand alone seats, bucket, Nif T Seat, the Bull seat, they all have pluses and minuses.  

I wanted some comfort, stabliliy, a back rest and the bouble bull chair fits most of my needs.

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »
How about the one thats on Dean Torges site. I made one and it seems to be ok.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »
Anyone know who may still have one of the Double Bull "Magnum chairs? Primos says that they won't be available until Spring. Didn't know where else to look.

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »
Bill,
  Doesn't the lack of a back support on the Walkstool make it less comfortable? Seems like I need a backrest.

Offline Bowman0202

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »
I use a 3 legged collapsable stool which I clip to my belt while walking and unsnap it when I sit down. It's light and I can use it while still hunting. Got it a Academy. Been using it for 4 years now and think it's the best.
IBEP Instructor

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
I use a seat meant for turkey hunting with a shot gun. It's kinda low to the ground and you may need to practice shooting in that position but it is a comfortable or more than the three leg folding stool from Dututh Trading Co. that I use alot and it is very packable with it's strap and it is very light. It's good to have a tree to lean against, even a small one will do.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
I've been using one of Ray Hammond's and Squirrel bait's and IMHO its the best hunting seat I've ever used. Light, portable and comfortable, even on long sits.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 05:58:00 PM »
could someone post a picture of Rays or Mike's set style?
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »
I just got in and my butt is killing me! I need something better than what I'm using.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 06:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by horatio1226:
I just got in and my butt is killing me! I need something better than what I'm using.
Lol - what are you using?

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
Bowman - "I use a 3 legged collapsable stool which I clip to my belt while walking and unsnap it when I sit down. It's light and I can use it while still hunting. Got it a Academy. Been using it for 4 years now and think it's the best."

Where can I buy one of these, where's Academy? ...thanx

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©