3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey hunting without a blind?  (Read 946 times)

Offline flounder pounder

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey hunting without a blind?
« on: March 03, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »
I thinking of using my recurve to hunt this season, but my pop-up blind is to small to shoot my bow from. Has anyone had any success without a blind and if so, what's the secret????

Offline String Tracker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey hunting without a blind?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
I know ameristep makes other blinds that are easily set up in couple minutes without the whole setup like thier pop-up blinds. check out thier site especially the Jakehouse

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
I have shot a few!!!!! Best advice.....Sit STILL!!!!!   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
I've considered getting a BIGHOUSE TSC from Ameristep to use for me and the kids.  I have a smaller popup but it is just not big enough for recurve or longbow.  Look online as the price varies a great deal.  I saw this somewhere a few months ago for 179.00 and should have bought it.  Only drawback appears to be size and weight.  Not for running and gunnning.  As advertised:

Large enough for standing bow shots and is the largest "hub"-style blind available
Zip-open roof panel
Edge ReLeaf™ realistic 3-dimensional edging
8 zippered windows with tie-downs
Durashell™ and ShadowGuard™ material
Internal gear pockets
Heavy-duty aluminum hubs
Spacious 72" square x 84" center height
Folds fast to fit an 8 x 8 x 52" long backpack (included)
Weighs 22 lbs.
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 04:35:00 PM »
Another "secret" hint: Sorry.....bowquivers are out   :(  Having a bowquiver attached to your bow,doubles it's size and the amount of movement made when trying to draw your bow.

Best is some type of a quiver that you can lay on the ground beside you.I use a backquiver with a camo fletching cover.

A hip quiver,Cat-Quiver,or Asbell style are good as well   :thumbsup:

Offline coyotebb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
I look for a low spot to set up in. I am lucky enough to have quite a few of these along the field edge and the timber edge in my area. I basically croutch down,knees on the ground and hind end on my heels with my head being the only part in view of an incoming turkey. Once the turkey is strutting by the decoy his head behind his fan I raise up to my knees as I draw and take the shot. Does not work all the time but what a wonderful feeling when it does. I don't use a blind because I like to be mobil and here in Iowa I have found moving on a TOM is very effective. Good Luck.
Bob

A slow hit beats a fast miss every time!

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »
You could get some camo burlap, a couple of arrow shafts on either end....an adjustment here or there and ya have a blind.
I found some 3-D camo tape in a clearance bin...gonna use that on the limbs of my bow. I think Chuck is dead on about the quiver...almost as dead on as his weather forcasting/conjurring. LOL.
Good luck..I will be out with the trad gear myself this year.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
Jamie.....Be Nice!!!!!   ;)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »
The Dec./Jan. Traditional Bowhunter had a great artical titled "Stalking Turkeys"   :thumbsup:

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »
You could do like I did two years ago. Find a dumb bird that needs to be taken out of the gene pool and have your buddy push him down a fence line to you and shoot him when he walks past.

If that doesn't work, other people I know have had success using camo netting wrapped around a tree in a V to hide in. Then place a hen decoy a few yards from the open end of the V facing away from you. Hopefully the Tom will aproach strutting towards the back of the decoy and his vsion will be blocked by his fan when you draw and shoot.
Jack Shanks

Offline BodarkOkie

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 05:32:00 PM »
Another hint:

Your background "camo" is more important than the "camo" in front of you.

When everything is right....it's still tough.

Good Luck.
If you love peace more than you love freedom, you lose!
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of MO-Lifetime/Founding Board
United Bowhunters of IL-Lifetime Charter
Compton Trad. Bowhunters-Lifetime Charter
PBS-Assoc.
NBEF Instructor

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »
of course you can kill a turkey without a factory blind. tough, but possible, that's hunting. Only the blind manufacturers will tell you otherwise, just like compound companies say that you can't be serious with a longbow or recurve
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
OK.....OK.....I'm gonna go out on a limb here and let you in on my almost "fool-proof" (as possible) turkey hunting "secret".....

When doing your scouting,try and find a well used strutt-zone in an upper corner of a farm field.Next,find yourself a comfortable spot to set-up just inside of the hedge row/tree line that is within range of the strutt-zone.Try to roost a gobbler close to the field,If you locate a Tom,hunt the next morning.....

Get set-up before first light.DO NOT use any decoys!!!!!(there is a reason for this TRUST ME LOL) As soon as the Tom starts gobbling yelp to him loudly and right away.Try to sound VERY demanding,with lots of loud yelps and cackles.....KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN!!!!! As soon as you see the Tom enter the field.....STOP CALLING AND PUT YOUR CALL AWAY!!!!!

Now.....Here is the "secret": When the Tom enters the field he does not see a hen.So.....He gobbles but does not get any answer.So,he gobbles some more.He still gets no answer and the "Dumb Hen" does not come back.....THIS pisses him off,apparently SHE does not know "the rules" SO.....He hot-foots it up to his strutt-zone to show her who's "The Boss". Now the Tom has just volentarily accomplished the hardest part,coming within bow range.

Now, Sit back and enjoy the show.....He will strutt,and gobble.....gobble,and strutt.....When he is within bow range and he is all puffed-up in full-strutt and his back is turned (His tail fan will be blocking his vision)pick a spot above the base of his tail and half-way up his fan.Draw your bow and send your arrow into the middle of Old Tom's back.   :archer:

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 06:21:00 PM »
Im liking all of these ideas....especially since turkey hunting(and needed tactics) changes so quickly.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
Turkey Hunt Without A Blind???...YES SIR!!! Wouldn't do it any other way!...Gotta know where the birds hang out...Do alot of stalking for them turkeys...Had some misses too...Just Alot Of Fun!...

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
woodchucker , excellent tactic bro!!!!!
TGMM

Offline Slimpikins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »
scouting is key! gotta know the birds habits. i dont like to call because if a bird comes to a call he is on the lookout for a hen, and that increases the chance of being caught.  i hunt a turkey a lot like i hunt deer. they have travel patterns too. i like to set up at the base of a large oak with minimal brush in front of me so as not to disturb the shot.  i try to use the tree as my blind, and let it stay between me and the bird as much as possible. kneel in the shady side, but be careful not to let your legs go to sleep. my cousin fell over last year trying to draw on a big tom, after his legs fell asleep from waiting on the bird to come in.
if you must call, do so sparingly. if a bird responds i quit talking and wait. he knows im there and if he wants to come he will.
good luck this spring.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
Thank You My Brother!!!!!    :archer:

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
All this has turks on my brain....but I did remember how I got a shot at one a few years ago.
He would never come in....always hung up in this opening/marshy area. There was a "hogback" ridge leading up to this opening. I called very softly, and moved very slowly....keeping the ridge in between us as best I could. After about an hour, I popped up over the ridge...he was at ten yards. I popped up again at full draw (with a wheelie bow) and promptly send an arrow whizzing past him....I guess the moral of the story is terrain features(and anchor points). Use em to your best advantage, and dont be scared to move in sometimes. Good luck everyone!
                         -Jamie

Offline TexasBubba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007, 11:59:00 PM »
I just make a small ground blind with natural materials and a bit of netting.  Draw at the right time, pick a spot and if all goes well you will have your bird.

Bill Graves
U.S. Army Infantry (Retired) 1982-2004
Iraq - Afghanistan Veteran

I was a soldier - I am a soldier- I will always be a soldier

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©