3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you aim low on deer?  (Read 616 times)

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you aim low on deer?
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2008, 02:33:00 AM »
I only hold low on muledeer if I have missed them 3 times - by then they get nervous.

If you stand up straight and then try to jump; you have to bend your knees; and that is what deer are doing- just bending the legs to take off; not ducking the arrow.

I rarely have shot a deer that I stopped before a shot - as in making a doe bleat to stop it. I see that a lot on the tv - and it is hard for me to equate that with trad hunting. If you can draw your bow back and wait for minutes; until a shot appears; then maybe you need to make a doe bleat. But normally for me; just the movement and sound of drawing back - makes the deer slow to a stop. In that case I would shoot low- but I like the deer to be coming to a stop when I shoot. Then it stops just as the arrow hits.

doesnt take a texas whitetail to avoid an arrow- where ever they are from they are quick ! I am working on a shot at a muledeer doe; and I don't expect any reaction until the arrow gets there...
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by Brian Krebs:

If you stand up straight and then try to jump; you have to bend your knees; and that is what deer are doing- just bending the legs to take off;

Exactly Brian...that's just what happens, and that's what most folks just call 'Jumping the string', 'ducking the string', or 'ducking the arrow'.  

They are loading up their legs to get out of there, and by doing so they duck the arrow.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline pooahl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2008, 09:50:00 AM »
I grew up hunting in VA and killed some deer there with my bow. I have since hunted hill country whitetails in TX in recent years. My first time hunting TX deer I was SHOCKED at how edgy and jumpy they are. It's like they stopped at Starbucks for a double-shot before showing up for the hunt. They are some wired little deer.  The difference in deer behavior from region to region is real. Don't know why this is, but I sure know exactly why these TX guys are saying to aim low.

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2008, 10:56:00 AM »
Deer hunted by mountain lions are also a bit jumpy.  I had a deer swap ends while the arrow was in midflight.  Gladly I got good penetration and it was a short run for the deer.

Jason

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2008, 11:29:00 PM »
I was tucked into a cedar tree in Arkansas this morning when 3 does came into a feeder that I had set up.  Let them and myself settle down for about 3 to4 miniutes. Probably 20 yd shot with 50LB longbow.  Picked a spot behind shoulder at mid lung area.  Perfect straight alignment, however she ducked the string and as I always try to hold thru the shot you can imagine what I saw down that line of sight. Went right over the top about 2 to 3 inches.  She ran back about15 yds behind a tree and then just came right back up but this time a few yds further back, not over 25 yds. ( I practice out to 35YDs) so I said OK lets try this differently.  Aimed at the lower line on the body as explained here.  Guess what she did?  Stood there like a brick wall and never jumped.  Went 4 inches under her just behind the elbow. Thought I had it all figured out.  I think I am going to start aiming for the lower half as mentioned on this thread and see if it will work better.  This has happened too many times before to just keep happening.  By the way I was only up about 12ft high.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©