3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: MO youth hunt  (Read 216 times)

Offline MOstate

• Trad Bowhunter
MO youth hunt
« on: October 29, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
The Missouri youth hunt is this weekend. I am 15 so this is my last year I'll be able to hunt it. I really want to bring my bow with me. My dad says that I should just stick with rifle and be done.  Ill be hunting woods Sat morning and fields that night. Im planning on using my bow in the morning. And rifle that afternoon.
So, how would you go about proving your dad wrong? lol I havent gotten any deer with my bow yet (one with wheels 2 yrs ago) and this weekend fells good. The rut is just starting up and scrapes and rubs are all over. So I might call and am definitly putting scent out.
Thanks for anything
Joe
Fred Bear Grizzly #55
"so, have you gotten anything with your bow without sights?" - Grandma

Offline ductape

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: MO youth hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
I would say hunt with what you want, if putting meat in the freezer was not a must I would use the bow (not many here will encourage the rifle). In any case good luck with your hunt!

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »
I agree with the above- if you absolutely need to fill the freezer then take one with your rifle but since few of us "need" to fill a freezer I would follow what's in your heart and shoot the bow no matter the company. I've had some great times "proving" that it can be done, the hard way! I personally am not into rifle hunting but do enjoy late december muzzleloader hunts with my old sidelock(bout 85+ yrs old) that is as long as I have taken a few with the bow and "need" to pad the freezer. Good Luck young man and most of all enjoy your youth, especially hunts with your dad, unfortunately my father doesn't hunt anymore due to his health.
Todd
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
Good luck and enjoy yourself.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
Joe you may try some thick cover or close to it.  With others being out in the woods they will be looking for that cover.  If you have a conservation archery only area to hunt, try it.  I've always had luck in those areas when gun hunters hit the woods.

Offline MOstate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »
I hunt private land with lots of woods and a huge valley that holds a lot of game. Its in the old Ozark Mountain range so some pretty steep hills. I don't know how to hunt fields so that why I was thinking the rifle in the fields. There are powerlines running through the proterty was well. I may know a place I could hunt in the fields. The only problem is that the wind would have to be blowing acrosst the fields towards a road. I shot a doe last year that head towards this spot and have seen a lot of deer there toward dusk. The doe came acrosst the road into the field though.
Fred Bear Grizzly #55

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
I plan on sitting all day Saturday. I dug out my hunter orange the other night. Every year I shake my head at wearing the orange with a bow in my hand.

It's all about safty so I'll never complain about it.

Good luck to all the youth deer hunters.. Get more does killed.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline MOstate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 02:03:00 PM »
Weve got a new rule established with a very stiff penalty for shooting a small buck ($300!!!! the owner wants the deer to be at least 125) so I'll be shooting more does for you JDS3 lol
Fred Bear Grizzly #55

Offline DaveBriner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »
I have had tremendous success with scent ploys, especially during the rut.  Ironically, I rarely use sex scents, but rather just plain old doe and buck urine.  It's great for easing their mind while they are around your stand.  It also allows you to bring them in to a certain spot (i.e., a shooting lane) and hold them there for a little while.  Just be careful if you use scents to take care of two things:

1) always try to deploy it so that the deer will not cross your own scent trail while coming to or leaving from your placed deer scent, and
2) put it in a spot so that while they are spending time there you will be screened by some type of cover.

Good luck!!
Dave
A man's worth can be determined by the number of friends at his funeral- unless they all hunt too!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©