3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Byron/Kanati/ Bernie Dunn's hunting pics and story  (Read 500 times)

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Byron/Kanati/ Bernie Dunn's hunting pics and story
« on: October 29, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »
Anyone else catch shooting USA on outdoor channel tonight? It was about Byron's shooting school and some of the bows were sporting the Kanati quiver. They looked really sweet. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Byron/Kanati/ Bernie Dunn's hunting pics and story
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »
Yep, I caught it.  I had noticed he was having shooting schools.  Always good to see traditional bows on the tube.
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline recurvehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 11:59:00 PM »
sure did what a great show and the shooting school looked cool
" THINK LONG-THINK WRONG " MOE ASH DAVIES COUNTY

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »
Awright! Local boy makes good - way to go John (Dill that is)!
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 07:03:00 AM »
Just wanted to point out that the Kinati Quiver fame & fortune has not turned John Dill's head     :D     . Don Batten (Batman) had invited me to his place for a hunt last night, and John, not one to forget his "little people from the old days", showed up to hunt with us (Quiver and all)      :archer:    

We had a great time. Visiting and a little shooting before the hunt. No trick shots like Byron Fergusson, though - well, just the one big trick that I managed to hit the target with all my shots - even the one that ricocheted off the target's spine and skewered a bunch of Don's fruit in his grape arbor      :rolleyes:     .

AND I finally saw my first Deer, during shooting hours, of this season      :clapper:      I don't care if it was 40 yards away, and ambling away from me to boot - at least it reminded me of what a Deer looks like. Thank you, Lord - and thank you, Don. John saw Deer too - 4 Doe visited his stand - after shooting hours, and kept him in his stand an extra 15 minutes before he could sneak away. Oh, Don didn't see anything - which is only proper for the host/guide, don't you think?     ;)    

After the hunt we did a little more shooting in Don's warehouse, turned archery workshop and indoor target range. I got Don and John to pose for a non-hero pic and Don's lovely wife, Trish, was so kind (she's so pleasant) as to come out in her "NC wintertime negligee" (flannel jammies and full length, fleece housecoat) just to record the three of us, for posterity, also. Don even broke out the first all wood bow he ever made - still shoots good too.

Just goes to prove, John  still  don't care who he gets his picture took with - just so long as he gets fed!

Don and John:

Don, Whatsisname (I'll never forget ol' Whatsisname), and John:

Oh yeah - I almost shot John 3 times between the time he left me at my stand and disappeared in the woods towards his stand - with them durn suntan trousers on - whut ails thet boy??? Taught him everthin' I know, n' he still don't know nuthin'!

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 08:26:00 AM »
Glad yu had fun Bernie. We'll do it again soon and hopfully I can get you in a stand a little farther away from the city:LOL. Don

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 08:43:00 AM »
Don, Bernie

Had a blast! Saw deer, and signs of bear everywhere! Should be lookin good on the next few hunts! Bernie is one heck of a shot with that self bow of his....he even let me unstring it(LOL) I was plannin to dig a hole for Bernie's gut pile but the deer decided to keep their distance from him(40 yards or so). I believe they sensed danger up in that tree in the form of a die hard primtive archer! Ole Don put us on a good time even had ribs ready on the grill. Can't beat a fella friend and hunting partner like that. Thanks!

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
I caught the show as well, I noticed a couple of Treadways on there, one with beautiful arrow inlays in the Limbs...

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »
I always like seeing Treadway's bows, and as I say anytime I get the chance - he's one heck of a nice, down-to-earth chap to boot.

John tried to tell us he was busy digging a gut pile, for my prospective Deer - but Don and I found him laying under a bush snoozing - and no hole even started.      ;)    

Here is a Bernie "quoate of note": To Batman after we'd just wached John step out of his car , move up to the 20yd target line, and put 3 long carbon arrows so close together that I actually saw them sweating, "Don't you just hate people like that ............ what am I saying .... of course you don't hate people like that ... you  are  people like that!" Man, those two can shoot anything they pick up. I don't even let them think about shooting my wood bows, 'cause I don't want them to sour the poor darlings against me -      :p    

I'm ready anytime, Don - and the stand was great. Wasn't your fault all dogs are attracted to me - and your neighbor chose that freezing evening to trim the brush along his driveway - least he could have done was offer me a sip of his coffee while he was trimming the bush beside my tree -      "[dntthnk]"     (a "little" exageration, BTW      ;)     )

When did John say that show of Byron Fergusson's was airing again? I can't believe I missed it. I love to watch him shoot and, having met and talked quite a few times with him at Baltimore Shoot this Spring, I know he is another great, down-to-earth chap in our sport also.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
Bern, You are a great down to earth cap too. I cut some cane today and will go down to your primitive arrow school when they get dry enough. We will for sure try to get you on a Deer again before the season is over. Don

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 06:52:00 AM »
Thanks, Don. I still didn't see one yesterday but I had a heck of a hunt becuse Mike (Brooks), my hunting partner and bow making teacher, did get one. It was a real pleasure helping him haul, skin and quarter it - I finally got to blood the deer cart my wife bought me last year - LOL. The only thing I can say about Mike's Deer, is (because) that, at the very last minute, he decided to carry his new TC Black Powder , insted of his trad bow. I told him at the trucks that, if he did that, then a Deer would surely come out right in front of him, and he would wish he had his bow. Sure enough, the old 5 pt (in his downhill years but still nice) came out twelve yards away, right in Mike's face, and Mike could have shot him 3 times with his bow, no sweat, while he was waiting for him to move off far enough to take him with the BP. He laughingly said it was all my fault for predicting it would happen.  :archer:  Maybe now that'll free up the area for more deer to move in and feel free to move around (and I'll see one too - LOL) . We're pretty sure he was the "Bully of The Schoolyard," in spite of his old age and smallish rack.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »
I didn't catch Byron's show but I'm not surprised some of those guys were using Kanati quivers. They're a great quiver and John Dill is one heck of a fine fella too!

Looks like you boys had a good hunt. The older I get the more I realize its not always whether or not you kill something that makes the hunt successful, its relationships like you boys have that make it all fun.

Bernie - you've still got a lot of season left. I'm expecting to see a pic on tradgang of you a and a deer killed by that selfbow of yours this year....
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »
Bless your heart, Wally, from your mouth to God's ear - hopefully. I'll do the best I can, as often as I can.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BOFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 08:31:00 AM »
Good fellowship, arrows released, and trophy grapes harvested.....reads like a successful hunt to me.

Thanks for sharing Bernie.   :)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »
:biglaugh:  "trophy grapes harvested," I like that, BOFF

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »
Thanks Wally! Nice thoughts from two of the nicest folks I know.....Joyce and Wally Holmes. Nice deer you took this year also!

Bernie you got that sacred blood on your game cart. Your sure to be blessed with a kill very soon!

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »
Bernie, I found a beautiful cane arrow under one of my targets this mornning. Thought It might be yours, but Taylor said" Na, Bernie don't miss". I guess it must be someone elses. LOL. Glad you got to use one of your knives. Hope you saved the leg tendons. Don

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 07:41:00 PM »
Taylor's reply (and faith in me) makes me  almost  want to say, "No, the arrow isn't mine," but only almost - LOL. Don't know exactly how it got there but when I got your e-mail I checked my quiver and I was short one of my arrows with white fletchings, so thanks for finding it. (I hate to lose arrows!). I was going to save the leg sinews (Mike has a bunch) and the hooves/shins to make bow racks but forgot both when we got through and buried them with the other leavings. I will save, off any I get a chance to later though, Don. That's great about you harvesting some Cane - feel welcome to come anytime, my friend.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »
Bernie

I have some Martha Stewart bamboo shafts that have been seasoned 2 years.....They should make some dandy arrows. If I can remember I'll bring them for you on our next hunt.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 07:08:00 AM »
Yep, they probably will, John. A lot of folks really like them. They usually are smaller (diameter) too - like Tonkin, and tough. In fact I'm not sure but what some (or a lot) of them are Tonkin Cane. I appreciate it.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©