3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: MN rabbit question  (Read 245 times)

Offline BrianH

• Trad Bowhunter
MN rabbit question
« on: October 30, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
Any MN rabbit hunters out there?  I was out with the beagle today for the first time this year, and didn't see much in our usual spots.  Just wondering if rabbit numbers are down this year or what.  I live in Moorhead, in the northwestern part of the state, a few of the land owners I spoke with also said they haven't been seeing much.  

A couple of weeks ago I was hunting mule deer in western ND and there was cottontails everywhere out there.  Perhaps the predator population is down out west, around here the coyote population is pretty high right now.

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: MN rabbit question
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
My in laws in Ada have plenty, not alot of land but still fun to shoot!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
Yes it's time ago nab some coyotes !  When you see the coyotes running across those house gardens, that's what I call those developments that have 200 houses in them, and they have a name like " Oak Grove "  and there's not a tree in the place !

Coyotes feel safe there scarfing up little toto's all over the place.

And I haven't seen many rabbits on public land either, but in Minnesota you don't see much wildlife on the public land close to the metro, if you know what I mean, they shoot anything and everything.

I saw one yesterday .22 with the most expensive scope on it, and a banana clip.  Although this one day didn't have a bucket full of blue jays and squirrels and Robbins.

Makes it difficult when you're trying to use traditional for rabbits.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline BrianH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »
Carl,

I agree, the coyotes have become a problem.  When I leave one of my deer hunting spots by Barnesville you should hear the coyotes, howling on all sides of me.  I think I may have to do some more coyote hunting this winter.

My beagle Otto doesn't have a clue, but it has been tough to train him due to the low numbers of rabbits.

Brian

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »
I was hunting in the Stillwater area three years ago, and the coyotes took over that area, we had a deer kill late in September by coyotes, we never saw another gear in that area for the rest of the year.

Now all and 50 miles north of the city's, what's actually 70 because I moved 20 miles north, but we also have coyotes giving the deer trouble there.  It's a problem, and in the economy like now, they probably won't open up a bounding on them solve the problem.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline rock_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
I do quite a bit of rabbit hunting in SE ND, mostly for cottontails.  The winter before last there were a lot, and last winter not as many.  On Saturday I might make my first hunt for this year, hopefully I'll be able to kick a few up.

Offline BrianH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 06:43:00 PM »
Jeff,  I have done fair share of hunting near Kindred, as I grew up close to Horace. My best buck I shot about 3 miles north of Kindred on the Sheyenne.  Good luck on the rabbits.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »
Interresting.  I started a thread a while back on the Traditional Bowhunters of MN forum about getting a rabbit hunt going this winter.  Nobody has been able to find any good concentrations of rabbits.  I'd like to host it in Brainerd but haven't seen a rabbit all fall.  Maybe you guys would want to get involved.  Here's the link.
 http://www.traditionalbowhuntersofminnesota.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=58f55931181e9f8ac0ec70d35bcb6086&board=2.0

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
Only place I've seen an abundance of Rabbit in Minnesota is in the French Regional Park on the North end of Medicine Lake. Don't think the Park System would like me trudging through with a bow and shooting them though.
Did see a Fox chasing a ribbit down one of the trails I walk though, it stopped dead in it's track when it saw me and we had a little staring contest for about 5 minutes. It was pretty neat.
Saw a humongous Buck the other day in there as well.
Lots of wildlife in those places off limits to hunting;)

Offline BrianH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »
Chad, Thanks for reminding me, I haven't been on that site for quite awhile.  I would love to get together for a rabbit hunt.  Where?  I am not sure, I was thinking about taking the Beagle out to Chippawa National Forest this winter and trying for Snowshoes, I hear they are more enjoyable with a dog as they tend to circle more than the cottontails.

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 08:36:00 AM »
I've been hunting around the Walker area I have not seen any great numbers of rabbits, cotton tails or snowshoe's. The deer numbers seem to be down also.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Offline BrianH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
Fallguy,  Thanks for the good info, maybe I will look at another area.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©