3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Hat  (Read 803 times)

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Hat
« on: March 03, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »
Is a fur felt hat too hot in the summer? I hunt pigs all year long in Alabama. I was thinking about buying an Akubra Imperial quality fur felt. The advertisement says they are made for the hot OutBack but I have never owned a Quality hat.

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
Re: Hunting Hat
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 03:13:00 PM »
I find that a waxed canvas or Breezer style hat is better for the hot, hot, hot weather.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »
You can't go wrong with an Akubra they're world famous. I've got two of them, the Banjo Patterson and Snowy River models. Noggin Tops sells them.
 http://www.noggintops.com/page.cfm?p=27
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »
Thanks, MR.LaClair for the link. I have been looking at them in Noggintops. I have a bald head and usually just tie on a bandanna when hunting in hot weather but I would like a hat that could be worn casually also. I like the Aussie style.

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »
Noggintops is hard to beat.  I have been looking at the Borsalino Traveler my self.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
Akubra is an awsome hat.  Had one a friend gave me. Got lost after a while. Whish I had it back.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Starkman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
I've been doing the same RH and have been looking at the Newsboy caps.  Arkansas has some pretty darn hot summers and was wondering the same about the wool.  South Texas and Alabama sure gets some pretty hot steamy weather as well.
"You're never beaten until you admit it." - General George S. Patton, Jr

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone. I really like the looks of the Akubra's but I may get a Tilley for hot weather and Akubra for out on the town. Does anyone have experience with an Akubra in hot humid weather? My three hairs on top MUST be protected.LOL

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
Best hats made, hands down. A look at my avaiter and you'll see mine thats seen better days....lol. Time for a new one but just carn't let go of the old one.

In Oz, al
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 11:37:00 PM »
I have two of the Akubra Banjo Pattersons from Noggintops, one in Black and the other tawny, they are great hats and I usually wear one or the other every day. For bowhunting though I have a Borsolino Traveler, Its brim is so soft it gives absolutly no interference with the bowstring and I have worn it on some really rainy days and its kept my head dry. It hasn't held its shape real well, but a huntin hat 'posed to have some character.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 02:34:00 AM »
I like the old style newsboy hats, you know, the ones with the snap down brims.....they aren't too hot and the short brim stays out of the way.  You can get them in oil cloth, poplin, or my favorite, wool.  Sometimes I wear them backwards and they look better than a baseball hat worn backwards.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©