3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Would you?  (Read 528 times)

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Would you?
« on: October 30, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
I looked outside today while on baby duty, and saw two decent mature does feasting on apples that had fallen from my tree. I gave the baby to grandma, and out the door I went, anxious to try my bow out in the company of real deer. You see, Im hoping this will be the year I get my first traditional deer, and I have yet to even shoot at one.
Around here, there is a general consensus that you dont shoot does. Period, end of discussion. Although I dont believe in this, I abide by the rules of the landowners, who surround my four acres.  :readit:  
Back to the story.
Now I had already positioned my bow and arrows outside after I waxed the string and applied some camo to the shiny-new limbs. The deer, oblivious, munched away on apples.
I selected my arrow. Drew, anchored. WHAP! Nailed it. I selected another arrow. Drew, anchored...THUD.
Now mind you, I was pretty excited. I drew another arrow, a judo. THWACK. Smakced the brace board of my target frame hitting about an inch left of the balloon remnant I was aiming at.
All in all, three shots, and neither doe did much more that twitch at the sound of the impacts.
Ya didnt think I would shoot a deer in my yard did ya?   ;)  No way. I wanted to see how they reacted to the noise of my bow. Nada. Zilch. I have been told I have a VERY quiet bow by quite a few outstanding hunters. Deer think so too.

After the shots, I got my son and my camera. The little white square is a 4" X4" Muzzy type block, my first intended target. I was shooting about 18 yards, and the deer were about 15 yards directly left of the  target.
Yes, I do think about deer hunting too much. Even when I get to spend a day with my boy. He seems to like it too, he cried when I shut off the hunting video, and then again when we got too close and the deer ran away.
I love this stuff.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Would you?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
Looka the gut on that gal!
Hmm.

Not mine!!!
Now...would I what?
Killdeer   :confused:

Can I babysit a while?   :bigsmyl:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »
That's one good looking doe.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
I think your apples make does fat.  :-D

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
I'm 50/50 on this one......if my boy wanted the deer I might have to be 100% in favor of it! I, however, have two daughters and no boys. They are totally embarrassed that their dad hunts, not widely accepted up here. Awful lot of meat on that particular doe.........

-Charlie

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
Yup, your bow is one of the quietest I have shot. I also would shoot one of the doe's from the porch if ya did not have the rules, but they are on your neighbors property, those deer are on yours and If ya invite me down I will tajke care of them for ya! Shawn
Shawn

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
Well, if the doe was on my property I would have took it. I like antlers as well as the next guy or gal but I hope to feed my family with what I harvest. Why don't folks shoot does?? I have never understood that. Like there is something wrong with it. Now if I come across a doe with a young one she gets s afree walk.......... no doubt about it.
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline tackhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »
THAT would be a short drag!   :thumbsup:   Gary
What you do speaks so loudly that I can't hear what you say! >>----->

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 11:29:00 PM »
twack. That deer looks like a prime canidate for the pan. I would have shot it.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »
Shoot then ask for forgivness oh well Iwould of shot and  hoped it did not run far I once shot a Jack rabbit in my yard it ran 2 doors down I was lucky no witness sure was tasty   :thumbsup:
Gord

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 05:35:00 AM »
Nice looking doe and a great shot on the muzzy target Jamie. Tough call on shoot or no shoot. At least you know you have a quiet bow.  :thumbsup:
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 06:15:00 AM »
The tradition of not shooting does began when the populations were low or nonexistent. Deer were reintroduced to many areas, and in order for the population to increase, does were forbidden fruit. I suppose it helped that the image of a hunter taking a buck became a manly American icon. Things changed, deer numbers increased, and now in many areas there is a screaming need to pare the flourishing deer herds into a size that won't damage the environment.

Whether the deer herd in your area is at that stage, I don't know, Jamie. I thought there were a lot when I was up there in February, but didn't notice browse lines, which are a glaring sign that there are more deer than eats in the neighborhood. That is why I am glad to buy licenses and pay the biologists to study deer and environment, and determine the best way to balance both. If there are too many deer...shoot does. I find it more acceptable to responsibly manage a population than to let emotion or ego decide which sex I will kill.

Killdeer   :archer:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline The Baron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »
Shooting nothing but bucks is poor deer management.  If your neighbors like to shoot big bucks, then they should be shooting does to keep the herd balanced.  Shoot some does and enjoy the venison!
You can't be a leader of you don't know where you're going.

Offline david_lewis93

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »
If that was down here in MY yard in central Texas I'da nailed that one to the door!We have way too many deer gettin hit by cars and trucks in our county and folks gettin hurt too.Between the deer and hogs the attrition rate is awful. and insurance aint cheap

Offline Ben Woodring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
That whole buck only thing is not my world, more power to those that practice that philosophy. If I had a tag and the population of deer was healthy I'd shoot it, freeze it and have a great story to tell when I served venison at the local trad club.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
Those deer were in your yard not your neighbors why let them impose their ideals on you.  I would have taken that nice pot bellied doe!!  I have always been of the mind that does need to be harvested to maintain a good buck to doe ratio.  If you have too many does running around the bucks don't have to go far to find a hot one.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Online Bowsey Wails

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Timmy P
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »
Would definitely have shot; your property, nothing immoral about it.
Tim
"I use no device to direct my arrow towards its mark, save my eyes and my will." Anthony Camera, aka Viper.
I'm not old school, I'm one room school house.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
Do you have laws there about shooting deer to close to a residence?

On private property I always follow the landowners rules whether I agree or not.  On public or personal property I will take any deer that is legal and falls within my own personal restrictions (which may vary based on circumstances)
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »
Shoot 'em. They're on your land.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
I do believe does around here should be thinned. I once pushed 40+ past my brother on a late season boomstick drive.
Since living here, it has been no does. It is my property, but I want my first traditional kill to be in the woods, not off my deck. Otherwise, I think I would have shot just for the damage done t my yard so far!
So far, this year I have seen numerous mature, pot-bellied does. All with no fawns. I have yet to see a buck while in the woods, yet I have a scrape line in my back yard.
Just to be clear, I didnt post this to start a debate or to advocate the "no doe" policy. I believe in QDM, and part of that is doe harvest. My choice here is simple. I shoot one, I loose about 900 acres of hunting land. I will save my doe tag for state land or another parcel without that restriction.
But man....my bow is silent!  :D
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©