3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: questions for you ground hunters? HOLY COW WAS I CLOSE TONIGHT, UPDATE!!  (Read 1071 times)

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: questions for you ground hunters? HOLY COW WAS I CLOSE TONIGHT, UPDATE!!
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brian Krebs:
Woodchucker- man I hope people put the open side down ... I spent an afternoon looked like a turtle before the firemen could pull it off me.
Lol!  Pictures, man.  We need pictures.

:biglaugh:

Offline Bowman0202

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »
I sit on a three legged collapsable stool which I can hook onto my belt.  I practice shooting up to 30 yds while sitting  Seems I'm more stable sitting than standing.  Sometimes have to kneel to move into a shooting lane while sitting under the large mesquite bushes/trees we have down here in Texas. I wear Sticks and Limbs camo and have had deer walk to within 5 yds of me with no brush separating us.

Key - DON'T MOVE !!!  They won't hear your pounding heart when this happens:)
IBEP Instructor

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »
Tree stands are cool and give you alot of time to get ready for a shot. But hunting from the ground is just COOL! Gotta Be Ready Always! Slow, Slow, Slow does it. Eye Level Is A Rush! Head to head on a deer trail will get your heart pumpin'.

Just don't expect to kill every deer you see. You are gonna get busted alot. But what a rush! Look at the bow you like to use buddy. It's made for "Indian Distance" like five yards. Bet you knew that already.

Go Get Em' Ken!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
We were spot and stalk hunting hogs, my son had a doe come up on him that would not leave. He was 12 at the time and the doe seemed pretty young too............of course it was not deer season. This critter hung out about 3 feet away, and followed him around for what must have seemed like forever....I watched the whole escapade with binocs-what the, dude what gives? It was pretty funny.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
i use a lightweight stool with a swivelling seat, this makes getting an angle on the deer much easier.  I always try to maintain 360 degree shot opportunities.  I can typically get within a few yards of deer as I basically hunt right on top of their paths.  I stay still and let the diesel exhaust of the semis on the highway I hunt next to mask my scent.

Yesterday I had two bucks within 6 yds of me at the same time but I usually dont take them that small until gun season.  I can see them from far off usually and can get ready however i need to as they move in.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »
I use a seat with a pocket in it to place stuff I might need- has a carrying strap I sling over my shoulder and go where I please.  If possible I always get behind a tree and watch from the seat if I see a deer coming I stand and move as the deer moves it goes left I go right and the tree 6-8" seems to block them from seeing me , and I hate to say it but I am large I have been doing this for awhile and it works very well this way.  Remember to turn sideways with the tree to reduce your profile.

good luck,   Bill

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
due to coyotes rasing hell i didn't see a deer tonight but i felt very comfortable with my back to a big apple tree watching 2 trails in front of me. had a grouse walk right to me, was a treat to watch it so close. i'm definitly liking this ground stuff. i will be picking the brain of Adirondackman as he is an accomplished ground hunter and has shown me a few tricks allready.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »
I have been using the Apachie Pyramid Blind.  Light, easy to carry and sets up in seconds.  Find you a tree to put your Torges tree seat on (this helps break up your outline, very important!), set up your blind and good-to-go!  I really have been surprised at the shots I have had.  I must warn ya' though...you can get away with more movement in a treestand.  Oh yeah, don't rush your shots!  I have mmmmmissed some EASY shots by getting in a rush and shooting too fast!  When ya' with'em down on the ground eyeball to eyeball, it's gonna get your heart pumping!
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
Ken,  I practice from a 3 legged stool called the Buck something or other I got from Cabela's that turns 360 and the legs are adjustable for different terrain etc...This past Wed. afternoon at 1:15 I just got set up in a blown down big oak that was 6 yards on a well used trail...At 1:20 I had a doe with a stinky wide rack spike walk broadside at six yards from me and I passed up a good shot and could of kicked myself ....At 1:23 another buck came directly in on the same trail and stopped at six yards also and as he turned his head I drew, anchored and sent one through both lungs...He was a six point and what a great feeling when being that close on the ground and I stayed seated with my leggs together shooting to my left with the bow slightly canted...God Bless, Keefers <")))><

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
Keefer,
      way to go man that really fires me up!!! got any pictures?

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »
HOLY COW had a nice doe at 3 yards!!! only problem was i saw her coming and she was running flat out, never stopped flew right bow me, should have tripped her with my bow! WHAT A RUSH!! i thought she might have been pushed by a buck but i'm not sure. i had a perfect set up by a blow down and coverd to my right side by a dead tree and limbs. the trail came right around the dead tree and there i sat, awesome, awesome hunt tonight!!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2008, 06:59:00 PM »
Fun isn't it?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline ghost rob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »
Ken, I sit on a milk crate that I put a thick cushion on. It's kinda a pain to carry but it doesn't sink in and I push over 250#. I use a piece of camo netting when I set up in front of me and some good back cover. I just put the netting in the crate with the cushion pushed into the crate and I have an instantly portable unit. I use clothes pins to attach the netting to brush or limbs. I've taken a few deer with this set-up, the last two at seven yards. Working on a ghillie suit to make it even better.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »
Ken the 3 legged chair with a shoulder strap also has a strap that binds the legs together-for when your walking to a spot or out; and also for stalking around and come across a good stand spot.

I have taken a lot of deer when in chairs; had them sink in the mud; which can happen so slow- that you go to draw and realize your almost on the ground and can't.

But you can sit still; and motion is the biggest tip off to deer- worse than scent in some cases.

I have a ameristep blind set up right now on a deer trail that I can see from my cabin; and my three legged chair is in it waiting until I see them walking by it slowly.

Ground hunting is great fun; the secret for me is the right chair- not one with arms - like some camping chairs; and three legged ones help us trad shooters be able to move when we need to - too shoot.

Its neat when all you can see is ears moving through the brush; and antlers in the brush moving towards you. I like hunting from that persepective.

I plan on taking one deer from the ground blind; and one while spot and stalk hunting in December. Never gets unfun !
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
I rediscovered hunting from the ground this year myself.  Lots of fun ,but I hate how many deer I spook. You lose aleast a good 30yds of warning before there right on top of ya.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
i'm getting very comfortable on the ground but your right i love the vantage point of the stand. i will be hunting on the ground more and more when i feel the situation calls for it like the case of hunting by my house. not many good trees for a stand and some well used trails through the brsuh calls for being on the ground. if that doe had stopped or even slowed to a trot she would have been mine!
 I am using an old folding seat that i have had for yers, works pretty good but as Brian said ya don't realize your sinking untill you draw! i will remedy that by bringing something solid to put undet the feet. also have the small 3 leg stool but being 200 pounds it is not all that comfy. i will be in a stand in the morning at 1 spot and then on the ground by my house.

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2008, 05:57:00 AM »
Ken,  I got some pics a friend took but I am Computer illirterated and caint spell to good either...That's one reason my Avater ain't got no pic...If, and when my wife feels in a good mood and all good inside she might try and help me....I know you will find lots of excitement in a ground blind and it is a totally different feeling being at eye level with the game you are hunting....God Bless, Keefers <")))><

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2008, 08:17:00 AM »
Those three-legged stools are fine for smaller guys who never have to sit on muddy ground but apparently I'm not in that universe...

You can't call me a quitter though because I tried again with a different model the next year...

I suppose everyone needs a quest though.  Maybe mine could be to crush every model three-legged stool in existence.

I believe it can be done.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »
i hear ya, i hace a red three leg stool and it sinks alot, i switched to a folding seat and it works well.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
I have a Gander Mountain three legged chair with no arms. I weigh 300# and it holds me fine. On wet ground I do put something under the legs to prevent sinking and it does have a larger round disk on the feet to help prevent that also.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©