3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coyote problems  (Read 676 times)

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
Coyote problems
« on: October 30, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »
In the past couple years the coyotes are increasinly causing us some problems, are they bothering anyone else? Last night I shot another doe at 20 yards. She stepped forward on my release so I knew I was a little far back but angling forward. After checking the arrow I knew I had hit stomach as well as the far lung. She crossed the hayfield at about 80 yards and layed down at the fingertip of timber. Me and my Son backed out and went home for a few hours before going back. We heard the commotion before we even made it back. Flashlight showed 5 coyotes eating on my Doe. They didn't even run off to speak of. Total time was Doe shot at 5:30, we came back at 9:30. Thats only 4 hours. Tonight we had two Does come out in front of my Son. As he prepared to take a shot here comes three coyotes into the hayfield and the Doe's spook and run upfield toward me. A little later a 130's class 8 pt.er comes out by me and here comes two more coyotes into the field spooking the Buck. I guess we are opening our own open season from now on. We are seeing an increase in coyotes, bobcats and fox (even though they say fox won't run in coyote territory). I guess the Human Predator is going to have more of a challenge this season.
Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coyote problems
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
Time to go Coyote huntin
Damn Nice guy

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
I'm sure you could find a few guys around you that would gladly thin those pesky buggers down, if you can't find anyone I know a few guys that would probably be willing to come out and do it for ya.
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
I once shto a spike....great blood and then nothing. I got the local dog search guy. He found him about 150 yards further than the last blood. The yotes ran him, and ate him. Two, two and a half hours passed from shot to recovery, I only recovered one shoulder(he was laying on it) and the neck and head. The rest was gone. ENCON told me I should have left it in the woods instead of tagging it. They, and I repeat-THEY stated it would most likely be around 15-20 yotes in order to eat the deer that fast. Yeah, yotes are a problem around here.
Foxes are also around. Some years more than others, but around none-the-less. Bobcats too.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 12:08:00 AM »
Having a big prolem here in South central KY. Early in the summer my wife walks every night, saw 3-4 coyotes daily while I was at work in 2 of the field areas I hunt. When we saw them chasing does and fawns, I put up my bow, got out my varmmint rifles and killed 6 in a week. Since then have taken 23 this summer fall, within 1/2 mile in each direction of my house. Another buddy in the north end of my county is having the same problem, have had to shoot, snare trap and poison them. He had nearly 30 at his last count. As quick as I started thinning the coyotes, started seeing more deer in the same fields, acted less nervous or stressed.
samuel koger

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 05:14:00 AM »
MANY coyotes arounbd here, even when you thnk you are thinning them out chances are your not even putting a dent in the population. by my house no matter where you hit them if you want them whole you have to follow up tracking pretty quick! by my mothers house its not that bad, you here them a lot but do not often see them.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline The Baron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
Take up coyote hunting for sure.  I got into it a couple years back and it is a lot of fun.  Great reason to be outdoors in the winter.
You can't be a leader of you don't know where you're going.

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 09:11:00 AM »
Saw two last night while hunting.  They half hardly chased three does as the does made sure they didn't get too close but they didn't blow and run like hell.  'Yotes are around, I'm sure if I make a bad hit and wait then the 'yotes will get it.  Anybody coyote hunt with a bow or a 20ga.  I don't have the proper firearm and although it would be fun to get to one I don't think my spouse will go with the addition to the armory.  The land owner where I hunt said I could coyotes all I want.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by koger:
Having a big prolem here in South central KY. Early in the summer my wife walks every night, saw 3-4 coyotes daily while I was at work in 2 of the field areas I hunt. When we saw them chasing does and fawns, I put up my bow, got out my varmmint rifles and killed 6 in a week. Since then have taken 23 this summer fall, within 1/2 mile in each direction of my house. Another buddy in the north end of my county is having the same problem, have had to shoot, snare trap and poison them. He had nearly 30 at his last count. As quick as I started thinning the coyotes, started seeing more deer in the same fields, acted less nervous or stressed.
POISON???????????

Say it aint so! Poison is an indiscriminate killer........and usaully very ILLEGAL

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
I lost a hind 1/4 of a compound killed doe a about 10 years ago. I also shot a real pretty blond one w/ compound in 2000. And a mangey, nasty, one w/ a rifle in late 90s. One showed up on a trail camera on a farm we hunt this past late summer too so their definitely around here in North East Pa. 5 of em on a kill in 4 hours is pretty nuts huh?!?! Maybe you could find a local trapper.  Ive tried to trap one and could never pull it off. Ive caught some fox (14 in my best year) but no coyotes. Id try to find a real good trapper and not someone like me, who only plays at trapping and would probably only make em wiser.

Offline kevgsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
I coyote hunt all winter to TRY and keep the population down on the few small properties I hunt.  They are chicken farms with MANY coyotes. Turkey I got last year only had about 6 tail feathers do to a coyote, they even try to attack our geese decoys when we are gone for lunch.  You can not leave a deer till the next morning here...it will be gone.

I love hunting with the bow, but it is all business when it comes to coyotes. I hunt them with a rifle to PRESERVE my bow hunting the rest of the year. Hope this pic is OK...

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »
That photo is not OK !

You need 10 more coyotes laying there !

But one is a good start !

I get coyotes where I hunt, I have the .243 traditional Ruger !  To take care that !

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Rmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
I have hunted them with gun & snare, but have yet to pursue with a bow. I think they are the ultimate to hunt with a bow though due to their nose. A whitetail ain't got nothing on the smeller these guys have, if they have not been called at & hunted much they can be called in usually due to their appetite & curiosity. If you miss though he just became educated & may not fall for it again.If you want to see more deer then they need to be kept in check by another predator...you..just my thought. I use a fox pro e-caller, I know thats cheating but it works.

RM

Offline outbackbob48

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
I,ve been trapping coyotes for a couple of yrs. now. They are truly an amazing animal, I read somewhere that the more you perscute( trap, shoot, poison.) the bigger litters they have, also a bioligst said that you would have to kill 70 percent every yr for 5 yrs to control them If you don,t get 70 percent for just 1 yr. then your losing ground. They are surviors for sure. If we ever have a nuclear holocaust  the only survior would be the cockroach, coyote, rat, whitetail deer. Good Luck with your coyote problems. Later gotta go skin one I caught today.

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
We have a big problem in Southern IL. My brother shot a doe one evening last year and by the time we drug her out and went back in to get our stands, (maybe took us 30 minutes) the gutpile was all gone. Leave a deer overnight in these parts and you most likely will have 1/2 a deer in the morning.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline DaveBriner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »
I seem to be hearing a lot more talk of predators on the rise the last couple of years.  I know predator/prey levels are cyclical but what I'm talking about is people seeing bobcats and cougars again in places they haven't been seen for a while.  Here in MO we are having more and more lion sightings the last 5yrs.  And we're now seeing bobcats on farms where we haven't seem them in the last 15yrs.  I think it's pretty cool actually.  Here in MO I think we need a little help with the local herd.
Dave
A man's worth can be determined by the number of friends at his funeral- unless they all hunt too!!

Offline Lawrenceu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
Coyotes and foxes can definitely live in the same area.  I could show you that in several areas.  And, yep, they are a growing problem.  Almost everyone I know around the country is seeing this.  Maybe it is a conspiracy.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 01:47:00 PM »
I have seen a coyote grab a grey fox from a den and kill it. It then just left it laying on top of the snow. I have seen the same evidency in the snow in the case of a red fox. In both cases the fox were simply left there, and neither incident did the coyote know I was there. I have taken 6 with the bow. Mike

Offline the not so straight arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »
time to get to trappin if ya ask me. sounds like nothing a few #2 coilsprings wouldnt help. trapping is fun n you get to sink the cash ya get from the pelts into your bowhunting lol! have a good time with it and go get to trappin.
-cory
burry me with my longbow, and a dozen good shafts, heard theres big deer in heaven

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©