3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Forward Handle Longbow Opinions?  (Read 475 times)

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
Forward Handle Longbow Opinions?
« on: October 31, 2008, 01:00:00 AM »
Hey Everyone,

I am in the market for a forward handle longbow (preferably 60" or less in length).  I am normally a recurve shooter, so I want something that has more of a pistol-style grip.  Of course I would like to buy 15 bows, but I can only afford one.

These are the ones I am most interested in:
Kanati
Hoots
RER Vortex
Lost Creek
Thunderhorn Coup Stick
Hill Country Harvest Master

Any others?  Let me know what your experiences have been.  Are any of these noisy? I HATE a noisy bow!  

Thanks for your help.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Forward Handle Longbow Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 01:59:00 AM »
Ron La Clair's Shrew?? Ain't never owned one but everyone seems to love them??? And he's a sponsor here too...  http://www.shrewbows.com/
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 02:23:00 AM »
I have two, 9+ like new [ I can't find a mark on them] Coup Stick's what specs are you looking for? I just found, after buying and trading over 50 bows in the last 3 years "The Bow For Me" a 59#TFIII 60".  If I have the "One" your looking for, I'll make you a great deal on it.
Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »
There are many good ones out there.  IMO you wont find a better one than a Shrew.  They are dead in the hand and whisper quiet.  I have 6 of them now both recurves and longbows and for me they are one of the best bows out there.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline curtinmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
Kanati-Mine at 58" draws smooth to my 31.5 inch draw,is super light in the hand but no shock and quiet.I cannot find anything I do not like about the bow.....Curt

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 08:30:00 AM »
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
Two suggestions: in a one or two piece the Shrew Classic Hunter, and in a three piece the Morrison ILF. Both are deflexed riser designs. Depending on your draw length you may want a longer or shorter length bow. I have a 29 1/2" draw length and own both 56" and 54" Shrew Classic Hunters as well as a 56" Morrison ILF Mini-14 riser with the "C" length Dakota longbow foam/carbon limbs. They are all fantastic bows. I must admit I shoot the Morrison somewhat better most of the time, but the Shrew is much lighter and a bit handier. I certainly won't sell any of the three bows, and all of them are great hunting tools. The 56" Shrew Classic Hunter should fit about anyone, and for draw lengths less than 30" the 54" CH is fine (better for 28" or less draw lengths). Check out Morrison Archery's website for recommendations on riser and limb lengths for your draw length. I like the Mini-14 best of the risers. You may be able to add a little to what Bob recommends, but not much. The quickest way to start breaking a bow is to overdraw it. Over-stressing any mechanical device may lead to its failure, and there is a reason Bob Morrison and others make those recommendations on draw length.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
The 56" Black Swan Hybrid is one to consider. Can be had in a 1pc or 3pc.

TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline T.L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
I would add a Toelke Whip to your options. Super craftsmanship and a very quiet shooter. Depending on your draw you may be able to get a 58" or 60".
Tom.

Offline john1271

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »
black creek banshee. contact john sullins at sipsey river ,jim gainey is the bowyer
black creek banshe 41#@28 60"god bless and have a red letter day...

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »
The Kanati is a good choice. Jason makes a great bow. Super guy. He has a pretty quick turnaround. And You won't beat His price. bretto

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »
I have 2 reverse handle longbows, both are Green Mountains. They are not made any more but smooth ,quite and seem to point well. A friend has a Northernmist and a Northwind Gem both forward grips and very nice bows, reasonable cost also.   ron w
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
that Treadway definitely doesnt have the lines of a true forward handle longbow.  Im not too sure on the Black Creek either.

I think for a handle to be "forward" the limb has to hit the fadeouts and plunge down the back part of the handle(the part that faces the shooter) and then there is the riser hanging out in front of the bow.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
I guess there are WAY TOO MANY options out there.  I will have to look into a few more of them.  

I guess a "Forward" and a "reverse" handle are not exactly the same thing?  Several of these short hybrid bows have deflexed risers with a forward handle that is not a reverse handle (where the limbs come in from the belly side).

Thanks for your help guys.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
I have a 2 piece - 56" - 58#@28" Super Shrew in Shadow Gray (if you look under "shrew bows" in the POWWOW) you can see it...she's a beaut  :bigsmyl:  

It's quiet already and I am still waiting for silencers...problem we have in the north is that there aren't any stores up here that stock bow equipment AT ALL.

I also have an ACS longbow (very nice bow - smooth and quiet and fast for a 54# bow), but it's 64" and a 3 piece and it's nice but you want something shorter.

Only downside for the Shrew is the wait time to get her, but she was worth the wait  :goldtooth:  and cheaper than the ACS.

Jer Bear

Offline jdemoya

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 11:23:00 PM »
Take a look at the Risen Son bows, old Elburg bows. No one has ever made a reverse handle bow as good as the Elburg Jaguar line. The Jaguar Magnum is probably the best bow ever built, IMHO though.

God bless,

Jose

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
I have a Thunderhorn Coup Stick and really like it. It is the one bow I can pick up and shoot well right from the first arrow. Duane is a heck of a nice guy to do business with too.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
Certainly plenty of good options listed.  The RER Vortex is a great short longbow, or the LX model is the 3 piece version.  
There is one Vortex listed in the sponsor classifieds right now, and another 4 currently in stock.  Or of course, custom order one made just for you.....
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
I've heard good things about the Risen Son bows, but I have yet to see a picture of one.  I have searched a bunch of places but have not found a picture of them to see what they look like.

Anyone have a photo they would like to share?

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
I havent shot all the longbows suggested but I have shot a few.  I would recommend my 56" RER Vortex or my 54" Treadway. Great shooting, easy to tune and quiet bows. I have a few longbows and those are the two I use for hunting.
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©