3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hog lure and calls?  (Read 220 times)

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
Hog lure and calls?
« on: October 31, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »
Was at Dicks sporting goods and noticed they now have Hog calls and Hog in heat lure. Anyone ever try these? I guess the problem I see with it is I would much rather shoot a sow than a boar.If these do work would probably bring in boars. Lure would probaably work better and smell better if it just smelled like corn.
 Any experience with these?
 Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog lure and calls?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
I have never tried any hog urine type scent but some type of food scent is often cheaper and attracts and holds all sizes of hogs. If you are going to buy something a product like hog wild or acorn rage that has a strong scent can be placed in zip lock bags and when you get to your stand throw some around where you would like the hogs to stop. They will dig around in the area looking for the something to eat.

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 10:28:00 AM »
Mike,I haven't tried any of them yet but I have wondered the same thing.  I've always just used the same coverscent I use when deer hunting.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »
I have used the Hog Wild product in the past with good results. I get to hunt some property with hogs only about 3 or 4 days a year going in blind it is tough to try to pattern them. The hog grunt may calm them a bit and caues them to come in sooner.But,a buck grunt may work as well.  
Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
You can replicate the grunts just using your mouth-listen to them and practice.............sometimes it calms them, or will even bring them to a stop when they are walking by.
I have not tried scents.

Offline Bowman0202

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 05:47:00 PM »
One of the best hog scents/attractants is a smelly box of old "ripe"  shrimp.  They can't resist it. Course it's best not to carry it in your pocket.  Freeze it and bury it shallow - they'll come a rooten.
IBEP Instructor

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©