3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Foam Core Limbs  (Read 542 times)

Offline KillerDyller

• Trad Bowhunter
Foam Core Limbs
« on: October 31, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
Got a question for you guys. Looking at ordering a zipper recurve in the next few months. I am just curious as to the advantages of foam core limbs. I have heard that they make for a smooth, lighter draw. Is it smoother than bamboo? Anybody have experience w/ both? Any disadvantages? I appreciate the input fellers.  :thumbsup:

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Foam Core Limbs
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »
The thing I keep hearing that makes me want to try them is that they are supposedly dead silent...Mike

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
I have a set of recurve limbs, I like them a lot but NOT dead silent, quiet yes. and to me they make for a smooth draw but it feels heavier.
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
just a different kind of thump IMO...
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 01:04:00 PM »
yea, a differant kind of thump, I'll go with that.
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »
The biggest advantages are their being unaffected by temperature changes, consistency in make, and stability.

Their long term endurance at hunting weights is still being learned.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
I have both wood (or boo) cores and foam cores in comparable bows of the same make as well as having them with both kinds of cores in multiple makes of bows. The foam cores seem to be smoother, quieter and just as fast if not a little faster than wood or boo cores. Foam cores are not a quantum leap in any way, but they seem to be better in some respects. Not everyone agrees. Hoyt has been using foam core in limbs for decades, so their endurance is not a big question in some respects, but David is correct that use of the foam has not been widespread, so the data is limited. If you are not worried about the endurance or durability of fiberglass, then you probably have no good reason to worry about the foam. They are very similar and no one I know of is concerned when fiberglass is used in a bow, because most of our bows use it.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KillerDyller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, the way it looks I could'nt go wrong no matter which I pick. Now I just have to make up my mind on the REALLY hard decision, riser wood combos!  :confused:

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 02:31:00 PM »
Does anyone know what type matiral the foam is ? or I guess what type foam the foam is ? thanks bd

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 03:03:00 PM »
Depends on who's foam it is BD. Different grades/types of foam used in different limbs.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Rocky Reimer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »
On one of my Morrison B risers I have a set of Bamboo core limbs and recently got a set of the foam core limbs from Bob Morrison....I thought the Bamboo limbs were quiet but the foam limbs are quieter and the foam limbs sure shoot and feel good to me....I am very satisfied with the foam limbs...actually it is my "go to bow" now and am thinking (because the foam limbs shoot so well for me)about trading my 2008 Tulipwood Black Widow recurve....if I can find the right trade!!!!!

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
Thanks Dave I was just wondering what it was....Thanks again bd

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
I have a new prong horn on the way with the foam limbs I gues i will see how it is in a few weeks.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
Contact Jim Belcher of Belcher Bows. He is offering form core limbs and can answer all of your questions. Had an ad in the most recent edition of TBM. Jim is a good guy who makes an outstanding bow.  :thumbsup:

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »
I was told the foam would provide about 5-6fps faster performance. I found they were very smooth when drawing and after release.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »
Would it bend smoother then any type wood and be more consistent ??? thanks bd

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 12:10:00 AM »
My Morrison foam cores are dead silent. I dont need any silencers on my Shawnee and it's quieter then my Cheyenne was. Thats the biggest advantage I see. Durability doesn't appear to be an issue for the Olympic shooters have been using foam core for a long time,so I've been told.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
What is a typical draw weight for an olympic shooter's bow?  I know the foam cores have been around for some time in that venue.  What I think needs to be addressed is how well do they hold up in bows in the 50+# range.  I'm not knocking them, in fact, I have great interest in them if they prove to be as durable as good ole wood cores...Mike

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »
I've had foam core limbs on my DAS and my wife's for about 4 years now. Mine is 60# and rarely do I unstring it and it shoots as good today as it did the day I got it. The limbs are smooth, very stable and was told by a life long member of PBS who has been in the sport as long as me (50+ years) that my bow was the quietest recurve he had ever seen. As with any bow, attention to detail when tuning, tillering and nocking point location can make a bow very quiet. As to longevity, so far so good for me. I had an original Bighorn that broke five sets of limbs....the only bow I  have ever had fail on me. I don't think that longevity and durability are an issue with well made foam limbs. ILF archers have been shooting them with super light weight arrows for many, many years. If they were any questions about them I am sure they would be off the market by now. As far as I am concerned they make the best hunting limbs available.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2008, 04:02:00 AM »
Foam cores have been around since the early 90's in the Hoyt Carbon plus syntactic foam limbs for olympic style recurves. Male shooters shoot anywhere from 38-50# but most are 42-46#.bt6w, ceramic has been used by Yamaha in their limds also during that time.
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©