3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowstring building help  (Read 378 times)

Offline Bob G

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowstring building help
« on: October 31, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
I am trying to learn to spin bowstrings. The Flemish ones ar doing O.K. and I just need more practice with them. The continous loops are giving me trouble in length. I used an old string to set up my jig, then set it one inch short for stetch. It doesn't seem to stretch as much as the Flemish twists, thus leaving them all short. Does the way a string is made Flemish twist or Endless loop determine how much they stretch. Do the endless loops stretch less? BTW I am using B-50. Iguess I could make them long and twist out the difference but I don't really want to do that, I want them to be right on.  THANKS
"No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Offline Bowman0202

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowstring building help
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 06:21:00 PM »
There is a good book/pamphlet (you can get it on Amazon) entitled Laying In The Flemish Twist by Martin Maynard. I got mine years ago from BCY but think it's out of print now. It shows a different way to build a jig for making flemish twist strings. MUCH easier (at least for me) than the nail style one and it enables you to make the twists much easier.  I built mine adjustable and from the start have never made a botched string. It also enables you to copy any length string quickly and accurately.

To answer your question more specifically on the stretch issue, when you use the old string as a pattern, try taking most of the twists out of it so it will be closer to what your new string is.

Personally, I think Flemish Twist is the best way to go though.

Good hunting.
IBEP Instructor

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
What about that DVD " Doing The Twist " is that when any good ?  I know three Rivers has it.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
I've got a copy of the 3Rivers DVD on string making if anybody wants to pay shipping to get it.  In my opinion, there must be a better video than this one.  If you want it, PM me!

justin
Hill

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »
Warrior,

PM sent.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 02:01:00 AM »
I have the book and thought it unnecessarily complicated a relatively simple procedure. I went through it one time and never opened it again.
I think the best thing you can do to learn how to build the Flemish string is to get a good mentor at your elbow. Failing that, Doing the Twist is a great resource.

Obviously, individual mileage may vary.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
Bob... lots of variables from string maker to string maker when making endless loop strings.

It's been my experience that you may need to make a couple of strings to get your jig set perfectly... if you are as picky as I am.

Personally I don't think a well made endless stretches as much as a flemish twist. Again that depends on the individual making the string, the materials involved and the finished product's quality.

I most often allow 1/4" shorter on the jig than what I want the finished endless to be.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Bob G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »
Thanks Charlie, that is what I am finding out. Based on my Flemish expierence I was shortening 1 inch for my endless, and finding that the stretch just wasn't there. I am going to try one today at a 1\\4 inch that will probably work. These endless loops sure are a lot more work than the Flemish but to me them seem so much stronger. Thanks
"No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »
I used to build endless but have used nothing but Flemish for many many years now. Problem with Flemish is varying degrees of quality depending on how they are made. No doubt they'll settle more than an endless but I'm convinced they can be as good if not better. Good luck on your efforts!  :) ....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 11:41:00 AM »
I think "Doin' the Twist" is pretty good   ;)  , but I might be a little biased.  It has nearly 2 hours of string making information--no commercials or anything like that.

We didn't get much into stretch/creep and such on DTT, because there are so many variables:  type of material, number of strands, draw weight, draw length, etc. etc. etc.--it would have taken up a big portion of the video to cover it properly.

The only way I know of getting it "right" is with practice.  TAKE NOTES!  This will help you keep from making the same mistakes over and over.  Just like shooting a bow, BE CONSISTENT!  Do it the same way, otherwise you change the variables and won't know just what to adjust or how much.

Endless strings won't generally settle in as much, but it won't change the properties of the material itself--dacron is going to stretch more than anything else, fewer strands will stretch more, heavier draw weights will cause more stretch/creep, etc.

Like most anything else in this sport, you can get into it pretty deep or keep it simple--whichever you choose.

Chad

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
I used doin the twist and think I learned pretty quickly. It was very informative and easy to follow. well worth the $20 I think. Skippy
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline Rmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
I watched Chad sweat on the dvd yesterday & made my first flemish shortly thereafter.It took me 3 strings to figure out my length, but now making one is a snap. Trust me if I can lear how anyone can.Don't give up is the first few dont work.
RM

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
I don't sweat--I prespire!  Well....actually I was sweating up a storm...I learned that if you plan to film a DVD outside in MS, don't do it in July!  The temps were hovering around 100 degrees, heat index was well over 100.  Dang near killed me!

Thanks for the good word though!

Chad

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
Jeez, and I thought you were just nervous to be in front of the camera!
Seriously, though... Chad's DVD is something that has long been needed: a clear and easy to understand lesson on making quality bowstrings. With this DVD no one will have to be coming on this forum saying their first string unraveled on the bow or asking how to do something that can not be described with the written word.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©