3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sitka shaft users? Follow -Up  (Read 315 times)

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Sitka shaft users? Follow -Up
« on: October 31, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
I'm setting up a Robertson Falcon 49#-28" and I suppose its past center. With a 'new' full length sitka 32 3/4", drawing 28", 75 grain insert,225 grain point the arrow is much too stiff. Shooting only one bareshaft at this time

Same bow, 2016-28" 155 grain point indicates very weak. Bare shaft, fletched field and broadheads

Using  2216- 30 1/2" 165 grain point, all shafts group together, bare shafts,fletched field points and broadheads.

I had high hopes for the sitkas and am disappointed. What I was hoping for was a sitka shaft no more than 29". What would that take? 500 grain points?

My first time with carbons, I'm at a loss.

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sitka shaft users? Follow -Up
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »
A friend bare shafted with the "old" Sitkas and they were awesome. With fletching etc they were great.  Then he bought some new ones and they were different....stiffer, by a ton.  The new Sitka's are spined stiffer than the older ones is what he was told.
ChuckC

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
When the shaft flew wide left 'awesome' didn't come to mind  :scared:

The weight of the shaft was about 390 on a 3 rivers hanging scale adding to that the 100 steel adapter and 125 field point. 14+ grains per draw lb.

To late tonight, but I have another Falcon 52#-28" I will shoot the sitka from tomorrow.

I can float the shaft to locate the stiff side I guess.

When is to much weight forward to much?

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
I think that between the length and all the point weight they are too weak, showing stiff. I say that because you say 2216 are flying good, they are shorter with less weight, they are a .376 spine and are probably stiffer than the Sitkas. Ive never shot them but people have had good luck with lighter bows than yours.

Eric

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
Yep, I agree with Westbrook, probably weak...I'm shooting Sitkas at 31" to back of point, 75gr inserts, 125 steel adapter, and 160 gr points...650 gr total and they are shooting wonderful at 47#@30". They didn't start that way, had to add another layer to build out the side plate to dial them in. There are variations from lot to lot in all carbon shafts unless you pay $300+ a dozen for them!   :)  

"When is to much weight forward to much?"...No such thing as too much as long as you get them to tune.....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
When I installed a 145 grain field tip the point of impact is much better. Stiff indication is gone away. The result surprised me!

Searched previous posts and found lots of clues to my problem, I'm in better shape now.

Thank you, Rusty

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »
Backyard range report:

Personal results are impressive! I cut a test shaft to 29 1/2", 75 gr. brass insert,145 gr. field point, bareshaft. Robertson Peregrine 50#-28"

From 30 yds. the bareshaft Sitka goes to the target like a guided missle. I'll cut and fletch another Sitka and see how they group. Want to cut a little more length off and add more weight to the front.

The Falcon is another matter. The side plate is needing to be built out for sure. The accuracy is off and the tail kicks left. Otherwise these babies are dead-on.

Rusty

Offline james r woods

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »
Why do you build up the side plate?

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
Where's O.L., we need him.

Actually, why are bows cut past center in the first place?

Rusty

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
James, when you build out the side plate farther from center you can shoot a weaker spine arrow.

I think Taters goal is to get a couple bows that can shoot the same arrow.

His arrows shoot good from one and weak in the other.

Eric

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 11:18:00 PM »
The four primary hunting bows I have range 46-49-50-52#. What started as a curiosity about carbons for one bow is leading to, as Eric suggested,  one arrow that covers them all, generally. I want to play around with the Forward Of Center balances too. I located good information searching past posts and I thought I'd report what beginners trials I've dealt with to my original first post, in the off chance somebody will stumble upon it and can use the information.

Rusty

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©