3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Last day of Fall Bow  (Read 365 times)

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Last day of Fall Bow
« on: October 31, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
Didn't get out very often this fall, which was my first fall hunting with trad equipment.  Last Saturday, in the rain, I got my first trad deer.  It was a small doe that I shot with my RER vortex shortly before the sky really opened up.  Didn't have my camera, so no pics.

Today I got out of work a couple of hours early for the last day before the permit bow season starts.  I only got to my spot around 4:30 and hustled into my stand that had the wind in my face and overlooking a grass field.  Didn't see anything but squirrels until right before dusk, then I saw some deer behind me, below and across the creek about 200 yards away.  I just caught a glimpse of them and then lost them.  A few minutes later I saw what I presume was the same deer in the field I was watching, but about 125  chasing my left.  A very large buck was chasing the rest of the deer and one of the deer separated from the group and came towards me.  I figured this doe that was luck enough to get away from the buck might wind her way over to me and I wasn't completely wrong.  Thick cover was between the deer and me but the deer paused in an opening about 15 yards away with it's head behind a tree, so I took the shot.  The deer took off directly away from me in the field and I could see it roll in the field, but it was getting late and with the cover I couldn't tell if it got up again and moved off.  Waited about 20 minutes and took up the trail.  Nice bright red blood, and fairly easy to follow, despite the thick grass of the field.  Was real surprised 70 yards later when I found the deer and it was about the smallest racked 5 point I've seen.  Oh well, it was the last day and I would have shot it even if I had known.  My freezer isn't full yet.  Got out of the woods too late to get my tags for the permit season and I have to work tomorrow.  Sure wouldn't mind getting a crack at that big boy running the herd later next week.

Sorry about crappy pic.  Tough to get cleaned up and take in the dark.  I had to rush to get the deer to the check station.

Oh yeah.  Pass through with 590 grain total weight arrow out of my RER TD recurve that is about 57# at my draw.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Last day of Fall Bow
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
Congrats Pat... Nice first Buck with stick & string.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 11:23:00 PM »
Good On You PAT !! I knew you could do it !!!

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »
Good job, I like that lefty bow.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  Kevin builds a great bow.  Makes up for most of my shortcomings.

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »
congrats on the deer
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
congrats :0)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
Yeh Patrick! Good for you! You did good. By the way you can buy your permits all season long but if you didn't get a Buck Tag your out of luck Bud. You had to buy it before the season started.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
Congrats  :thumbsup:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
Tom, I got permits for doe and a buck tag this morning before going in to work.  The only rule was that if you had already purchased as doe tag before the season then you had to purchase the buck tag before the season started so you couldn't hunt with a doe tag, shoot a buck and then get the tag.  After the season starts you must buy the doe and buck tag at the same time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©