3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are you a "2 Season Hunter" ?????  (Read 1319 times)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Are you a "2 Season Hunter" ?????
« on: November 01, 2008, 12:23:00 AM »
Back in the 1970's Fred Bear and Bear Archery ran a series of advertisments to promote Bowhunting by "extending" your hunting season. Now I know that all of us here consider ourselves "Traditional Bowhunters" first and foremost,or we wouldn't be here on TradGang!!!!!

As much as I love traditional bowhunting,I still have a passion for "old" firearms,and enjoy hunting with them. No High Power Scopes,Stainless Steel and Composite Stocks for me.....Give me Iron Sights,Blued Steel and Walnut!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are you a "2 Season Hunter" ?????
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 12:43:00 AM »
The only hunt I'm using a firearm for this year is a November solo mountain goat hunt. My wife insisted that I hunt with my encore do to the extreme conditions at altitude this time of year.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 04:45:00 AM »
ON my way out now to hunt the northern tier new york where rifle season is on, with my long bow!!I bowhunt only now!!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 05:34:00 AM »
It's all good!

Steve

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 05:41:00 AM »
haven't hunted with a rifle in 15+ yrs
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 06:29:00 AM »
I haven't gun hunted for big game for more than a quarter of a century; but I cannot say I do not hunt with a gun; because I raise bird dogs; and I hunt with a shotgun for chuckars and hungarian partridge and pheasant.

For big game though; I only hunt with a bow; a traditional bow.

And I want to know anyone that has limited out on chuckars and huns with a bow ! Let alone hit ~one~...
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 06:41:00 AM »
Stalking and still hunting on the ground with trad gear is the way I like to do it. Had many close calls but no tags filled yet. During firearms season I dig using an old Winchester '92 with a pounded and sanded penny for a front sight. Think me and Chuck are kinda on the same page here.

... mike ...

* Forgot to add I use a T/C Hawkin during the ML season also. Guess I'm a three season hunter. *
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 07:21:00 AM »
I will still pick up a rifle occasionally, but bows are so much more fun that there is really no contest as to what I prefer. If I do hunt with a gun, it is either with a semi primitive weapon (45-70 or 45 Colt) or maybe a 44 mag revolver. I still want them up close and personal.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 07:32:00 AM »
Nope no fireamrs for me.Bowhunting only.........bowdoc

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »
i LOVE smoke poles, i hunt a lot with my flintlock and my 56. smooth bore. also MANY of my family that have passed away willled all their guns to me, i feel it is only right to take them out and honor them even though i rarly hunt like that any more. i killed a B&C buck (1711/8) with a model 94 Winchester 30-30 that my GREAT, GREAT grandmother left me. it has a dozen notches in it from when she carried it. as my grandfather got to old to hunt he called me up one day and told me to come see him. he handed me his Winchester .32 special carbine. grampa lost a leg in the war and this rifle was his crutch for a LONG while. i killed a nice 5 point with his rifle wheile he was still alive to enjoy it. that was my most special deer i have ever killed! that rifles name is "Yer Ass" which was Grapas favorite saying. i would say "Gramp i saw a nice buck", and he would respond "Yer ass!!!"
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »
Bow only here.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline BOFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »
that rifles name is "Yer Ass" which was Grapas favorite saying. i would say "Gramp i saw a nice buck", and he would respond "Yer ass!!!" [/QB]
:biglaugh:  

I use a bow throughout rifle season. However,  I pick up and use a rifle for a sort time, especially when we have been seeing a lot of coyotes on our place.

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 09:13:00 AM »
I really am trying to get away from my firearm, just that trade muzzleloader are way to cool. also really admire trade hunters wearing blaze orange w/bow during gun season and are successful.

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »
Been over 40 years since I hunted with a rifle. Just love my bowhunting more. Nothing against firearms to each his own.

Dave
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »
Being a new bow hunter, I'm still not extremely "efficient" as far as getting the meat in the freezer. So I'll be taking out the rifle to get a few does this year, take some stress off my needing to get something with the bow. That way I can go back out there and enjoy it.

Its kind of hard to consider gun hunting hunting after going with a bow. I guess rifle hunting is where you start to harvest deer. haha
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
Single shot shotgun and .22 come out now and then for birds, rabbits, squirels and such.  Could use the 20ga for deer but haven't.  I think if I did use firearms for big game it would be old leverguns, blackpowder, single shot rifles or shotguns, revolvers.  Bowhunting for me is the way to go, gives me more time in the woods.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 11:34:00 AM »
I use all, rifle,black powder,pistol,bow if there was a season for rocks I'd most likely do that to!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 11:48:00 AM »
Nothing anymore traditional than an iron-sighted, lever action, 30:30 on the
"first day-o-buck" in Pennsylvania.  
I don't use a rifle much, but I do love the first day with the old lever.

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »
.06 for deer every year.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »
I still save a deer tag most years for our late ML season, walnut and curly maple stocks, sidehammers, blackpowder, big tradition with me and my hunting compadres. I still do a lot of varmint hunting with custom bolt actions that I built, I still build them to help pay for my bow habit. I have only taken one buck in the past 16 years with a firearm. I have been drawn this year for a firearms WMA hunt at Dale Hollow state park, 2 tags, 2 does or a buck and a doe and will hunt with my old 6.5 swede I built 20+years ago, as an added bonus the 5 of us hunting will all be using rifles that I built. Its all good, and if we decide to limit ourselves to one method, might miss out on some pretty rewarding experiences in the field with other people. This being said, deer hunting to me is bowhunting, and after the last 3 years of trad, and having just as much succes, and a lot more fun, 98% of my deer hunting will be trad.
samuel koger

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©