3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are you a "2 Season Hunter" ?????  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are you a "2 Season Hunter" ?????
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 01:23:00 PM »
bow only. and I'll be happy when rifle season starts and fellas get outta my bow woods.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
Actualy, I'm probly differant than most.....

The bow is my meat weapon. I get 2 bow tags,1 doe tag and 1 buck or doe tag. I get a buck tag with my license. (I don't even bother with "Doe Permits" anymore) Bowhunting is meat hunting,with the rifle it's "Bucks Only" (spikes or better!!!!!)
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »
Since 2006, I am Bow Only.

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
I love my bow, I hunt with it 80% of the time. But I will always Find time to hunt with a rifle my father gave to me, more a sentimental thing.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »
I would hunt deer with a slingshot if I could, I haven't done much small game hunting for awhile.
Chris Kiefner

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »
Bows and Smokepoles only. Still love the smell of blackpowder and them round lead balls.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
Bow only. Don't get me started about the weak skilled idiots that have to resort to guns because it's my way or he highway baby!!! Just kidding it's all good. But I am bow only.

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
I also hunt deer with a flintlock rifle.

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2008, 04:11:00 PM »
Around here tags are primarily issued by weapon type. If I have an archery tag I cannot hunt with a rifle. I purchase archery tags for deer and elk. These days about the only time I use a firearm is during the bird season. But even then I prefer to hunt grouse with my bow.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brian Krebs:
And I want to know anyone that has limited out on chuckars and huns with a bow ! Let alone hit ~one~... [/QB]
Don't know what a chuckar or a hun look like but I have limited out on grouse and ptarmigan. Also taken a few ducks as have several others I know.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline wood slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2008, 05:52:00 PM »
In addition to traditional archery, I enjoy traditional muzzleloaders and handgun hunting.

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
I'm with Wood Slinger and others on this one. Not only do I enjoy hunting with my Hill bows, i'm a traditional blackpowder guy as well. Really love shooting and hunting with my Hawkens and Pennsylvania flintlocks!
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »
Below is a picture of a flock of huns flushing:

Here is a picture of a flock of chuckars
flushing:

I hope this explains my use of a shotgun for them.   :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline SilverTip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
I love hunting with my dads old pre 64 model 70.
 I usally try to take my buck with a bow and get my does with the rifle, I have alot of friends that I gun hunt with every year.
If Jesus Christ guides your arrow, its really hard to miss.  Billy

Offline the not so straight arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2008, 12:12:00 AM »
Any excuse to be in the woods is good enough for me and if that means using a rifle ill do that just as quick. i must admit though that hunting with a rifle is something i tend to do more "socailly" so to speak. if im with rifle hunter's then by all means i use my trusty savage .30/06, deer camp is the same way as most guys there hunt with their rifles. but when im just doing some hunting alone on the family farm or maybe with a buddy in the adirondack/white moutains you can bet i have my bow with me. the rifle is great too when i havnt made meat in the early bow season, ill pick up the thunderstick and hopefully get a deer sooner than i would have with my bow. After that first deer is down though, bow or rifle, its all bow hunting for me provided im not at deer camp.
but like i siad, i really just like being outside, wheather ive got the bow or the rifle or the trap basket. its all so specail to me i cant asign one thing as my favorite. but trad bowhunting is definently up there.
-cory
burry me with my longbow, and a dozen good shafts, heard theres big deer in heaven

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2008, 12:43:00 AM »
I've not had the opportunity to hung "big game" with a rifle per say.  Grew up in a "shotgun state".   Don't care for the shotgun anymore.  But I'll confess my heresy.  I love using my Ruger Blackhawk during firearm season.  What's worse...is it wears a Millet Red Dot.

Please don't hate lol....I am what I am.   Now, I can honestly say I'd choose that .44 revolver over a rifle for whitetail regardless of the state I'm in.  It gives me 100 yards of "killing ground" and any more than that seems less like "hunting" and more like "harvesting".

BTW...I'm quite a gun nut so I know all about the terminal ballistics, TKO values, kenetic this and coefficient that...but that 300gr .429" bullet scooting at about 1250fps from my .44 puts them down with every bit of authority, and perhaps more, that the 440gr .500" bullet moving at 1400fps from my 12g shotgun.  I have yet to figure that one out.  If one of you guys want a "traditional" rifle in a modern caliber I couldn't recommend a .44mag carbine more.  You'll pick up about 500fps out of the longer barrel making it an honest 150 yard deer-stomper.
Micah 6:8

Offline bayoubowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2008, 12:52:00 AM »
Since I have young kids that fortunately love to hunt and to young to hunt alone at this point, I tote a gun a great deal of the time. I would prefer to bow only, but that will come. I want to enjoy this time with them though and that is priority for me.

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2008, 01:21:00 AM »
I"ll use a bow only until I can't.....then I'll switch to what the rest of the old, weak or almost dead people have to use...then hopefully a custom kodiak t/d that Mr. Bear himself cut the shelf down just right for me with his knife for the big hunt.   I'll still need my browning for those wiley rooster pheasants though.
Hunting elk in Oregon and hunting for Bears everywhere! (Grayling Bears!)

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
Yes. Our bow season is short here in Wyoming. For deer & elk we get the month of September. If I lived where deer season was 3-4 months long I may never use a rifle but such is not the case.  I am "traditional" with my rifles as I am w/ bows. No scopes that have a bell on the front big enough to stick a softball into, no stainless / synthetic / modern magnum, etc. It seems that today's trend is to become more of a long range sniper than a hunter but that's not for me. The old '06, 270, or even a 30/30 will do fine. Walnut & blued steel only.
  My primary hunting rifle is an '03 Springfield that was beautifully customized some 50 years ago.  It has been well cared for and is in fine shape. No scope, but a precise Lyman peep sight. The majority of rifle killed game I've taken has been less than 100 yards.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2008, 05:42:00 PM »
No rifles at all for me.. I do hunt deer every year with a caplock .54 Hawken.. Way too cool not to use it.
I also hunt alot of upland birds with an over&under 12 gauge shotgun... Watching great bird dogs work is a great thing!

If I had to choose only one type of hunting the recurves would win out,, but just barely win over the O&U pheasants...

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©