3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another Boardbow question ?  (Read 523 times)

Offline Bowjo

• Trad Bowhunter
Another Boardbow question ?
« on: March 03, 2007, 06:40:00 PM »
I am on my first attempt to make a Red Oak board bow.This is my first time making any bow.The bow has turned out 53#@28.I still need to get a permanent string, sand and finish.This bow is 72" long.This bow is not backed.Do all board bows have to be backed? I would like to keep it all natural.Will this be a problem later.I have shot it about 30 times.So far it is doin great.I can't believe I actually made a bow!Any of you guys shoot non-backed board bows?....Joe

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another Boardbow question ?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
Joe, no it does not have to be backed especially if the grain is good. However backing one is pretty good insurance and easy to do. Cut up some linen or silk and use any good glue like Tite Bond 2 to glue it down.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another Boardbow question ?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »
Mickey, what if the board was flat sawn and the growth rings have run outs in them, like as if when taking a raw stave down to 1 growth ring, and ya mess up and cut through a ring and violate it? I can see a board bow that is 1/4 sawn or maybe rift sawn not needing backed. But a flat sawn board I am not sure if I would trust not backing it..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©