3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: i'm going to test the human urine in a scrape with trail cam(he is mad, new pic's))  (Read 1909 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
hope i get some video of him rubbing the tree as it is a pretty big tree and there are some deep gouges in it, he must be hitting it pretty hard. once the rut heats up he will be pretyy easy to pattern as there are 2 main trails used to get to the field and i am the only one with permission to hunt there. lots of does there to hold his interest.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
Good post...keep us informed.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
This is good stuff!
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
ok this dam camera is driving me nuts but i will figure it out, took small pic's again on the highest setting!
 Anyways without a doubt so far my 3 day observation via trail cam shows me that peeing in a fresh scrape DEFINITLY WORKS as 3 days in a row i peed in his scrape and 3 days in a row he refreshed it!! the first day i found the scrape i didn'rt set the trail cam but took a pee there anyway. the day i set the cam up i could see he had refreshed it so that was day 1. day 2 got him on the cam as he refreshed it and day 3 (today) he was there at 5:00 am, refreshed it and made another scrape right next to it which tells me he is not happy with me and he is drawing a line in the sand! i hope to get some good video soon as the rut heats up.
 Ok now so far this is what i gather from the experiment.
1) i will not buy a $15 bottle of buck in rut when i can buy a $1.50 large coffee!
2) the flash on trail cams does not seem to affect THIS deer as it went off 3 times in under a few secounds and he stayed there.
3) the only way to hunt that area is to walk down the ecaxt trail the deer are using which tells me either my rubber boots work well or they are accustom to human scent as there is a farm not 200 yards behind the trail.
i look forward to continuing this, any suggestions on different things to try?

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I think this one likes having his pic taken.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
yer gonna burn that spot up goin in every day, check it once a week or night time shots is all yer gonna get IMO

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
TrapperDave,
     auctually this is the perfect spot as my wife and i walk our dogs twice a day EVERY day in the field which is 5 yards from the scrape so the deer are very use to us being there.  i only hunt here a little bit as i do not like all the houses and such but it is a great hunt when i do not have a lot of time. i have been checking the cam often as i am on vaction. i routinly see deer in the field all times of day as it is all posted and no pressue execpt for me. i really enjoy using the trail and i'm not to worried about them going nocturnal. i %100 agree with ya though, normally in my regular hunting areas i would never be putting this much scent and time where i'm hunting unless it was to hunt.

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
Great thread brother.  Keep us informed.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
yup ken...I've been doing this for years....since seeing the Fred Trost thing when it was on cable.

here are a couple pics of bucks and does using the scrapes year after year....some were natural scrapes some mock scrapes I've made.

I thought the fred trost thing was absolutely hilarious.  he even used dryer lint stuck to a buck decoy and the buck didnt seem to mind the decoys 'fresh clean scent' when it was tearing it up!   he used feminine napkins, human pee, ammonia, dryer lint, and perfume (or cologne)....and as said before the buck stop rated the worst.    what got fred in trouble was saying that what the company was claiming was doe pee from estrus does couldn't possible be since they (the company) at the time only had a 100 or so does on their farm, yet they produced hundreds and hundreds of gallons of 'estrus doe pee' a year.  so he called the company's integrity into question.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
great pic's!!! i'll stick to just using pee for now, will try oher stuff later.

Offline brmize

• Trad Bowhunter
"i will not buy a $15 bottle of buck in rut when i can buy a $1.50 large coffee!"

Classic!!
"After we've lost a natural place, it's gone for eveyone-hikers, campers, boaters, bicyclists, animal watchers, fishers, hunters, and wildlife-a complete and absolutely democratic tragedy of emptiness."  Richard Nelson

Offline trapperzeke

• Trad Bowhunter
OK, now I'm waiting to see the experiment where you stick an overhead branch into the corner of your eye!  :)

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by brmize:
"i will not buy a $15 bottle of buck in rut when i can buy a $1.50 large coffee!"

Classic!!
That is to funny   :biglaugh:

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
not that it means anything, but i have had bucks come in on me while i was.....relieving myself up in my treestand,  heard that the bucks will hear it on the leaves and come to investigate for does.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
i have been hitting the grunt tube while relieving myself latly with the rut starting. thought maybe it would trigger some aggresion.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Had enough aggression for one day trying to drive home tonight.  Is traffic terrible everywhere ?

Can hardly wait for the weekend,  gonna be drinking a BUNCH of coffee.
ChuckC

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
I "baptized" a small spike buck on Sat. He was feeding under my tree and caught my scent on the trunk and kept sniffing the trunk then stomping.I figured that any mature deer would hear him and be warned off so I unzipped and let fly. He jumped strait backwards about 15 yards and kept looking around trying to figure out what happened. 10 minutes later he goes back to feeding and just walks away. My buddy was 60 yds away watching the deer through his binos and called on the radio to ask if I had shot and missed when i told him the facts he about falls out of his tree. The smell didnt seem to bother little bucky at all.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
The urine makes sense. . . however, your little experiment makes me wonder when you said you already walk there every day with your wife.  That means those deer are use to your scent and it is not a danger.  I have witnessed this in urban areas where deer just know who and what should be there and goings on.

Try walking down the trail with your regular shoes.  I am curious if they won't give a rip.

One last thing- I do wonder if the scent issue is far less serious in the dark.  I know they will stand there after dark and watch you get out of a stand.  Do that in daylight and they are gone.

Just some thoughts. . . awesome education for us.  Thanks

Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Grabwad

• Trad Bowhunter
I read an article on this and the article said the urine with the most H2S in it was most offensive to deer.  It said hydrogen sulfide is produced by the body when digesting meat, so meat eating animals were most offensive.  Sounds good anyway.  Just something I read.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
i really started this to see how much this buck would tolerate and how much he would get provoked and aggresive. when i freshen this scrape i am wearing 12 yeard old, smelly, worn out Rocky boots. i kick the scrape out and pee in it. checked today and the God D$% trail cam didn't turn on, of course he had everything kick all over hell and he nailed the tree something wicked.  :readit:   wish that dam camera got pictures of it! now i know without a doubt human pee will fire them up and keep them coming back to check their scrape. also appent that the dude don't like me! Tommorow i'm going to let my 150 Newfoundland Norman give it a squrit, that should confuse him eh?  :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©