3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: i'm going to test the human urine in a scrape with trail cam(he is mad, new pic's))  (Read 1905 times)

Offline str8sh2ter

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Magilla:
I tried this new theory out last night. I hung a new stand over a scrape and relieved myself in it before climbing into the stand for the evening. Around 4:30 a small 4 point came in and fed around me and the scrape for 1 1/2 hours, put his nose in the scrape and never flinched. I thought this may have been due to him being a young buck, so I waited around a little longer . About 5:35 a very nice, heavy 8 pointer came in and stuck his nose in the scrape. This buck bolted out of there....but that could be form the sudden pain he had in his heart. I sent a cedar arrow through him at 15 yards. So to make a long story short, I will never buy those bottled scents again.
WOW! that's great.i'm going to pee in a scrape and get an 8 pointer, with a bad heart.too!
  Just kidding.CONGRATS!

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
Ken for $10.00 a bottle you should put some in a fancy bottle and sell it. Just get some video like that cmere deer stuff and walla.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
yeah untill some of the big shots bout a bottle and sent it of to the labs. well thats odd, seems to be high levels of caffine, beer, and chicken wing sauce in this sample!!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
Now it's to the point of what can you put in the scrape to make him stop coming to it....

Maybe some perfume or gasoline?
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
well, no pictures for the last 3 days. very warm weather so i don't know if that is a factor or maybe me and the "crew" was enough to scare him off. both my Newfs are between 120 and 135 pounds. they both peed in the scrape 2 days ago as well as myself. i wonder if this has moved him from the area? i did see him this morning in the field when i took my dogs for a walk. this is the first time i have saw him except for the trail cam.  i will try something different now. i am off vaction so i can not check the cam every day. i will let it set a week without messing with the scrape and check the results, i'll update when i do.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
Ken,

You may also be seeing a difference due to changes in the rut.  In my experience, bucks usually back off on the scrapes quite a bit once actual breeding takes place.  There in NY, that's probably going on right now.

It's been real interisting though.  Glad you took the time to experiment.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Dan Reeves

• Trad Bowhunter
How about pooping in it? (smile)

Thanks for the thread, I've always heard the same and wet them down whenever I get a chance. I can't say I've ever seen a difference one way or the other.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Dave,
    i was thinking the same as like i said he is FINALLY coming in to the field now during the morning. there is a good number of does in this small area so i doubt very much he will leave unless he really runs them hard and ends up in a new area.  there are a number of good apple trees by that scrape which i would think the does would be hitting soon and you would think he would be following them. we will see, he should make it through season in this spot unless he wonders of chasing and gets shot by the "orange army". i am the only one with permission on this small tract of 30 arcers.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
well...I hope yer happy. Ya got me peeing in scrapes now...this is what I got(one of many including coon and fox checking it out.)

Offline Noelkman

• Trad Bowhunter
i have been hitting the grunt tube while relieving myself latly with the rut starting.  
Maybe you should swing the tube around to your back before you unzip.  :D

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
WOW, nice buck!!! its killing me not being able to check my trail cam as i know things are in full swing with the rut! i am definitly a firm believer in peeing in the scrape.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
All the scrapes I've peed in have gone dormant. Not a thing.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm short how do I reach the licking branch after peeing in the scrape?

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
jump

Offline justin ammons

• Trad Bowhunter
i love this thread!  i actually pee and make a scrape just before i pass the major game trails in front of my stand.  the pee on my boots works better than a drag rag.  have had very mature doe come up and sniff my bottom step and never get spooked.
Pr. 3:5-6

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
i will give one word of advice, and i had been warned but did not heed it. Vermonster told me NOT to let my dogs pee in the scrape but of course i just had to see what would happen. he warned about all the scent they would leave from their paws. this was right during the time the 6 point had hit the scrape 4 days in a row. well Vermonster was right. after the dogs pee'd he has not hit the scrpae again and seems to be using a different trail! so do NOT try any canine pee in the scrapes for any reason.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
just down loaded pic's. was interesting to see the does smelling the scrape but the only pic i have of the 6 pt is high taling it out of there. i think i'll make a mock scrape and see if i can fire him up again, will not use the "pee crew" this time.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Good thread Ken. I knew an old feller (who's now gone on to happier hunting grounds) who peed off his stand whenever he had the urge. Said it not only attracted deer by smell but the curiosity of sound. I thought he was crazy until I saw his den wall. Chase and I have tried it this year and I think there's something to it.

Haven't tried it on a scrape yet but after reading this I think we are going to "team up" on one and see if really makes one of the big boys mad!   ;)
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Those dogs make you look skinny Ken.

Good thread and good plan to get the coffee. I take a thermos with me in the stand and do like JC said above.

Offline BOFF

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by BOFF:
Ken,

I don't think the deer can distinguish the difference in the smell of pee.   However, I can guarantee they will be able to smell where you or the dog were standing and peeing.  

I wouldn't think the pee would bother them, but the particles or smell from Norman's fur, foot pads, your clothes, boots, hair, etc. would be the smell a deer picks up on.....
:D    :p    :jumper:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©