3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: grizzly sticks?  (Read 298 times)

Offline bearbowfan

• Trad Bowhunter
grizzly sticks?
« on: November 01, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »
thinkin about buyng some grizzly sticks for my 65# fedora.

can i hear what people think of them

Offline Brian Gillispie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: grizzly sticks?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
Love them,

Nice heavy tapered shafts.  Cool look with its basketweave pattern.  Depending on where your shelf is cut would determine if you would need the alaskans or the safari.  I use the sitkas in my 45lb red wing hunter.  I have broke some of the sitkas.  The internal diameter is paralell for the first 8 or so inches then it tapers.  I have broke my shafts when they sideswipe large imoveable objects like trees and rocks and they break at the spot where the taper begins.

They hit hard.  You can really rock a 3d target with these shafts.  Havent put one into a critter yet.  You will hear the trumpeting when I do though.

Brian G
Spinning faster round the pole. Soon to old from chasing gold. Young hands wrinkle, hearts to stone. Dust to dust and ashes cold

Online Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
Brain,

I just started to tune up some sitkas for the first time. I'm interested in information on arrow length and draw, point weights, etc. Would like to know about the ones you use with your Hunter.

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline Brian Gillispie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
Hey Rusty,

I cut my sitkas at 29.5 inches 125 gr point and 3 5.5 inch sheild cut fletching.  I believe they weigh in at about 485 grains.  My 45lb red wing hunter flicks them babies at around 178 feet per second.  I must also add that my draw is around 27 inches.

Also,  could never get them to bare shaft well but I blame the loose nut behind the riser on that one

hope this helps,

Brian
Spinning faster round the pole. Soon to old from chasing gold. Young hands wrinkle, hearts to stone. Dust to dust and ashes cold

Online Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
You bet it helps. Appreciate it

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline Rmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
I have alaskans & love em.
With a little tuning, bare & fletch together no problem.
Great customer service also.
RM

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 02:11:00 AM »
Here's 3 Alaskans with 200grn razorcaps after a pig hunt the other afternoon. Don

"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 06:54:00 AM »
I'm shooting Alaskans out of two 65# longbows and they shoot great - 29 1/2" - brass inserts and 300gr up front. I have only had two break and both were sticking out of critters on the death run (bear & deer). These arrows are 800gr total weight and hit with lots of authority. I'm impressed with the shafts and just bought couple dozen more.
hunt it

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
I have sitka's cut at 29.25 and 4" shield cut feathers. I had to drop back to around a 100gr head(I still have the 70gr brass insert up front also) total weight around 490gr to get perfect flight. If I go with a 125 or 150gr head the spine is to soft with my 48lb shrew longbows. They are tougher than average shafts for sure I have hit rocks/trees solid and all the ever happens is the nock pops out the back no damage to the shaft. The AD wood grain lites seem alittle easier to tune as far as cut lenght,head weight, but the sitkas are tougher if the hit anything soild.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©