3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: black widow vs shrew  (Read 744 times)

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
black widow vs shrew
« on: November 01, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »
I am a black widow man but all I have read about the Shrew bows makes me wonder, if I want a short bow with my 29.5 draw, what should I buy. BW only recommends a 54" bow for a 27" draw, a 56" bow for a 29" draw and I would be recommended to take a 58" bow for my 29.5" draw - which is not any shorter than I shoot now. Any suggestions?
bryce olson

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: black widow vs shrew
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
You really have to shoot a bow to know.  That said I have become addicted to Shrews.  I just seem to shoot them better than other bows.  I don't have a long draw length so can't help you there.  I have had faster bows than Shrews (which are by no means slow) but I haven't found a quiter bow or a bow I shoot better.  My suggestion is shoot one if possible.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 03:44:00 PM »
With a Shrew you could shoot a 54" but Ron and Gregg would probably recommend a 56".  I know a guy that shoots a 54" Classic Hunter and draws 30" and dosent have any problems.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
any Shrew bow.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
I like my Widows too but now they seem to be taking a back seat to my Super Shrew Gold. Quiet, Quick and Accurate..... Thanks Again Ron LaClair and LAR43 for a wonderful longbow!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
why are you looking to shoot a shorter bow? tree stand? if i were you i would shoot a 60 inch bow and see how you like it.i shoot 62-64-66 inch bows and i have a 30 inch draw and they shoot great for me.the longer the bow the more forgiving it is.ya can't go wrong with a widow.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tim Fishell:
With a Shrew you could shoot a 54" but Ron and Gregg would probably recommend a 56".  I know a guy that shoots a 54" Classic Hunter and draws 30" and dosent have any problems.
Tom is correct when talking about the Shrew Classic Hunter. I have your exact same draw length and shoot both the 54" and the 56" Classic Hunter with no problem. The 56" is a little smoother, but there is no stack with the 54". They are great little bows. As always, it is nice to try before you buy.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »
I am 6'4" with a bad case of monkeyitis, I draw a true 30" . Shrew bows are by far the best all around bows quiet and quick. I shoot a 60" Shrew Samuri ,but would not hesitate to shoot a 58". I own Widows and they are great bows but I can't seem to get the all around performance that I get with my Shrews. I hope to aquire one of the new  54" Classics for turkey hunting.

Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline longbow55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »
I can tell ya Wednesday when I get my Shrew SS gold. Been shooting BW for 10 yrs. Temptation finally got me on the shrew though.
I always hit where I'm aiming, but rarely where I'm looking.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »
I didn't see a 56" classic hunter on the website.  Is this something that is normally offered?

Mike

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »
Mike,

Yes, the 56" Classic Hunter is offered anytime you want to order one. I am looking at a couple of them right now that are sitting in front of me -- but those two are definitely NOT for sale! I just finished shooting them and they were great, as always. Call Ron LaClair and he will fix you up, as long as you are willing to wait a year. Best to get it line now, because the longer you wait to order, the longer it is before that year starts running. I have two more Shrews on order that are scheduled for delivery next summer.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
I hear ya Allan.  I did email Ron right after I posted on here.  I am wondering if the classic hunter can be ordered in the other models (gold,samurai...).  Is it really smoother than the 60" SS?  I've heard that a couple of times, but I'm having a hard time getting it to sink in.  I have just under a 30" draw...Mike

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »
I have 3 widows a 65# 60" PTFX Cocobolo and Tulipwood, a TFIII 59# 60", camo dipped MAII 59# 62" along with a 60" 59# Griffin and a camo dipped 55# 58" Super Shrew.

These are my favorites in my collection of 30 or so customs.  I love the little Hi-bred's for their lightness and pointability. They see lots of action when still hunting as I can carry them all day and not know they are there.  I must admit however, when it comes to accuracy and speed the Widow's are hard to beat! Very close though with the Griffin as it puts a 460gr. thru the crono. at [3 shots] 197, 198, & 200 with fingers.

Here's how it boils down for me this late elk season though... TFIII is going to get the "Nod".

They are all great and if funds allow buy one of each you will not regret it.

I am one of the lucky guys that can shoot either re-curve or hi-bred equally well so I bounce back and forth quite a lot.

Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
Mooseman 76,

Ron is at Shrewhaven right now, and won't return any e-mails till at least a week from Monday.  You can shoot me a PM or e-mail and I can answer your questions.

Thank you,

Gregg (Shrewyer)
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
Thanks Gregg, sent you a PM...Mike

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 11:31:00 PM »
Moose, I also draw 29.5" and shoot a 56" CH and a 60" SS. The 56" (#4 heavier) is just as smooth as the 60" and both are just as smooth as my 66-68" LBs. Handshock is non-existant, zero, none, nada!

Eric

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©