3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 1" 3 blade woodsmens...blood trails?  (Read 1199 times)

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
1" 3 blade woodsmens...blood trails?
« on: November 01, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »
how are blood trails with the woodsmen?  i would love to try them, they should be easy to sharpen and they look like they were made for pentatration, but im a little afraid of the 1" cut.  how are blood trails on good double lung hit?  how are they on poor hits?  thanks for any info!
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline BOFF

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1" 3 blade woodsmens...blood trails?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
I've used them on elk, hogs, deer, and more. I still currently use them, and only them. Never had a problem. It's basically all in shot placement, and sharpness of what ever broad head, regardless of gear. A poor hit is a poor hit. Just my $.2.

Offline seanF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 09:12:00 PM »
Just shot a year a half old buck this morning, with a woodsman, through the liver and nicked lung on other side. following the blood trail was like following a painter slinging red paint through the woods. But i agree with boff, its all shot placement. To sharpen you will need to refile a new edge to the factory edge, a new file is a must.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
Jerry Brumm has a picture of a blood trail of a deer that he took with a woodsman.  I have to get a copy of that photo.  Looks like someone dumped a 5 gallon bucket of red paint across the field where the deer ran.  Most amazing blood trail that I have ever seen in a picture. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »
I have had awesome "short" bloodtrails with Woodsmans. I got a pass through on a bull elk this season. He only went 45 yards. I would like to post a picture of that blood trail. Maybe my wife will help me post that pic.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 09:10:00 AM »
I have used WW extensively on whitetails.  The blood trails are "pretty ugly".  I have never seen such devastation from a broadhead.  I do not know about durability though. I spine shot a buck last year and penetration was lousy!!!
Hill

Offline ms leftwing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
They are great if I knew how to display a photo I would show you a picture of a doe I killed saterday . It is the best broadhead I have ever tried.

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by warrior:
The blood trails are "pretty ugly".  I have never seen such devastation from a broadhead.
I can follow the bloodtrails on a dead run.  This bull made a short run before sliding down the hill. He was a mess!

"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline Nook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
Here's some of a trail from a little buck I killed this year.  

Check out the rest of the pics:

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=111;t=000059

Jeff
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »
The first animal I ever shot with a woodsman was a wild boar that weight about 350 - 400 pounds. It was a 9 yard shot on a full out running pig that I just swung up and drew in the same motion followed through without even thinking about it and made an absolutely quatering away shot through the heart. As I watched the boar continue to run it looked like he had spray paint cans of bright red taped to his sides locked in the on position and he sprayed heavy blood 5 yards on each side of the trail for the total 45 yards he ran before falling. Every thing else I've shot with Woodsman broadheads has died so fast that no bloodtrailing was neccasary, even though they all had bloodtrails you could have followed at a run. The only broadhead I have seen that beat a Woodsman bloodtrail is one made by a Snuffer but it was close. The only two broadheads I have seen kill large wild boar with one arrow in under 15 seconds are the Woodsman and The Snuffer. It's not just a 3 blade thing either because I've seen Thunderheads, G5 Montecs and Razorcaps all well placed fail to do the same thing. Then again maybe it's from the way I sharpen mine. I laughing(sort of) call my broadheads Vorpal Blades.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »
My buddy shot a seven pointer Friday morning while we were hunting his family farm down in West Tennessee with a fifty pound, thirty-five year old Bear Grizzly, cedar shaft and Woodsman head. The deer gave it up from a complete pass-thru before going far enough for the blood trail to really get going. Good head.       Grant

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
I'll contribute one comparison that I experienced a few years back in Idaho.  My buddy and I got into a herd of elk one evening and I called a nice cow in front of him.  He placed a perfect double lung with his compound and a TH125.  We started calling to calm things down and danged if he didn't call another cow out to me.  I made the same shot with a Bamboo backed osage bow, a poplar shaft and a WW 125 glue on.

My elk died in seconds and in view.  Paul's went down but got up and walked off a ways before going down.

Comparing the wounds on the elk we found that entry, exit and internal wound paths were nearly twice as big with the WW.  Paul changed to the Stainless version for his compound setup for the next season.  

I've shot a lot of heads over the years, but have only hunted with one head since I tried them.

Woodsman are my only choice.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »
The resulting blood trail from a good hit with a sharp WW is not a problem. The head is designed to cut a big hole and it does just that. Shot a nice doe last January and trailed it after dark using a mag lite. Walked directly to the deer thanks to a solid blood trail. I would use a sharp WW head on anything in North America without a second thought but I would and do cut the sharp point down to a conicle with my file before hunting. Good luck.  :thumbsup:

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »
Never had a problem with them in it's original configuration.  Never felt the need to file the tip down, and I have shot through bone in hogs and deer.

I wanted something that left the blood trails like the ones I use to get from my old Rothaar Snuffers, but one that was easier for me to tune.  I have now found that head, and will only change when I am shooting lighter weight bows.  I still feel that you are better off   shooting a two blade head if you are shooting less than fifty pounds......
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »
:campfire:  
Used them for the first time this season and I'll continue to use them in the future. Both deer were double lung pass thru's and now I use those same arrows for practice. As far as the WOODSMAN go, they look like they just came out of the package.

H/S...............  :archer:
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Keep your feathers dry and your nose in the wind and become the predator that we really are.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
This was my first year using woodsmans, shot a doe at 22yds, went 45yds and piled up in sight, lot of blood out the entrance hole, arrow stopped in off shoulder. 2nd shot was 10 yards, ground level on a 4pt buck, perfect double loung1 inch behind the shoulder, dead center, pass through, he turned and ran 120yds on pure adrenalin,piled up just over a rise in the field. There was a blood trail Ray Charles could have followed, I watched blood gushing out and splattering on a hard dirt road as he ran down it with my binocs, long splashes of about a foot long, 2 inches wide. My 3rd shot was on a hen tureky, 22yds, between the shoulders, flopped around and rolled over the hill 30 yds and stopped still. Tip was slighty bent from hitting a big rock in front of the hen that stopped the arrow. These heads fly great, and kill great.
samuel koger

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »
We have had similar results as the stories here - and the hole is always WAY bigger than an inch - and penetration has been fantastic.
<>< <--------------<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline john gerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »
Could someone post a picture of a WW that they have filed the tip down. Also do you think that I would have enough bow at 47# @ 27" or should I stick to a two bladed head? Thank you John aka Brokenwing

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
47# is good - my daughter hunts with 47#. WW will out penetrate 2 blades of equal weight - we leave a sharp tip. If anyone thinks WW will not out penetrate a 2 blade of equal weight - we have hundreds of blood trails to back up my claim - and yes I was surprised when we started seeing this.
<>< <---------------<<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline tmccrumb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
I know most people love'em, I shot them last year and wasn't that impressed I made a nice double lung on doe and didn't get much blood for 50 yds and spotty after that for 25 or so then I found her. In thick cover it was kinda a dispointing. A buddy shot one with a treeshark this year and passed through the opposite shoulder, talk about a big hole. Just my 2 cents

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©