3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Selfbows and whitetails  (Read 1976 times)

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Selfbows and whitetails
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 08:01:00 AM »
I am always delighted by the flight of an arrow. You would think that the shine might wear off after all these years, but it has not. I am amazed when I miss and more amazed when I hit the mark. The dayglow bright hen feathers seemed to disappear between the last two ribs angled towards the off elbow. She jumped straight up and kicked her back legs out, then ran 40 yards to the ridge trail and slowed then stopped. She staggered once and then walked a few feet farther and over the ridge where I though I heard her fall.

"Wow! Did that really just happen?", I thought. I replayed the arrow flight and it seemed real. Folding down the seat I sat and unwound and waited a half hour. Then I got down and went to the spot where she had been when I shot. There was my bloody arrow less the last six inches of the nock end. And looking the direction she ran I saw this

I guess it was real.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 08:09:00 AM »
I followed this crimson path even though I was now nearly certain the sound had been her fall. Sure enough she was there less than 60 yards from the stand.

I pulled her back up to the ridge trail for a picture. I had work ahead of me with one hanging and this one to handle.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 08:14:00 AM »
Wow awesome! Congrats! Keep going!

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2008, 08:20:00 AM »
I need to run some errands and grocery shop for "bright shiny stuff at eye level" - can't live on fresh venison alone. Back latter with the rest of the tale, yes, there's more.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »
That bow is a killing machine!  (And you're doing pretty good yourself!  ;)  )
  :clapper:    :clapper:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2008, 09:49:00 AM »
Way to go Shaun....lets eat!    :thumbsup:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Little Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
awesome stuff buddy, looking forward to the rest.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
Back from the store - walked right past the meat counter.

So, the next couple of days the wind continued to blow from the south bringing the kind of sunny warm days that are great for everything but deer hunting. I cut up my deer at Bwana's place and Jim cut up a fine big doe he had taken. We continued to hunt hard but deer daytime movement slowed with the heat wave. Its hard for them to run around dressed in their winter fur when its 70 degrees.

I tried my gillie suit one morning near the bedding area the big buck had entered that first morning. A flock of turkeys made me wish I had a fall tag as they came to within 10 yards of me. Using a Torges tree seat and gillie I was able to sit very still and blend. About 9:30 a six point buck came from behind me and crossed my scent cone at 10 yards. He froze and looked hard for me. He did the head fake, the long stare, the one step but could not figure it out. He came to about 5 yards and tried all the same tactics. Suddenly he looked up past me and bolted. I eased my head around and saw a big buck coming to chase the intruder six away. It was a big mature buck but not the one from the first sighting. He caught a wind swirl of my scent while still 80 yards off and retreated.

With a replenished stash of doe tags in hand I hunted other stands and had lots of fine viewing but no deer shooting on Wednesday or Thursday.

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
What a great hunt!
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »
Friday morning was another cool but not cold one. My lucky doe arrow was busted, maybe the razor edge kept it from making a complete pass through I teased Bob. But, my confidence level was high after two shots taking two deer. Heading out I told Bob that I had recovered from the blood bath of the first couple days and was ready to strike again.

It was a slow morning until 7:50 when I once again had the treat of seeing the huge buck. This time he was about 200 yards away and headed into the same bedding area. I tried to will him in but to no avail.

Then at 8:50 I saw a large deer body through the tree trunks angling past my stand from another direction. "Has to be a buck with that size," I thought. Up came the bino's and sure enough I saw horns. He stepped out into the clearing at about 45 yards and I could see "three up" on the side of his rack towards me - a ten point. Bwana's advice was, "Don't shoot the first 130 you see." But even though this was not the monster buck he was very nice.

I was feeling the pull of home and the start of fur season on Saturday. It did not take long to make the choice, he's a shooter. Bigger than anything I'd taken with a stick bow before. He posed broadside in the low angle morning sun. I tried the grunt tube, first softly then much louder. No reaction at all. He just stood there and stared off to the east as I admired him.

I seldom shoot at anything at this range but was still brimming with confidence from my earlier success. Howard Hill (I am not claiming to be in his league of accuracy) was reported to take one shot and immediately follow up with a range adjusted second arrow. That's what I did.

Sometimes it helps me imagine trowing a baseball when I shoot far. I have been practicing longer shots at my home target and have been getting the feel of it. My first shot was something like a second baseman's throw to first. It skidded right under his chest. The buck did a line dance maneuver, turn left take two steps, turn around and take two steps back, turn left. He ended up right where he started. Big mistake, I had the range. Center fielder with a short base hit and man on third. Throw at the plate.

The wind had calmed and the woods were so quiet that I could hear my fletching hiss all the way to his spot. At the end of the hiss was a sound of blade on flesh and bone, a sort of "snick". I had the range perfect but whether he took a step or I failed to perfect my line the arrow was not in his chest, it was buried 14" dead center through the ham broadside. My first thought was, "That will do it." The big file sharp Ace had to be into the femoral artery, maybe on both sides. The buck had trouble getting going with the pin through his ham as he circled passed and headed into the woods. I listened hard after he was out of sight and thought just maybe I heard his death kick a few minutes later, though it was not a classic crash.

Again I sat back down and replayed the scene. Was the arrow really in a fatal spot, yes, maybe, second thoughts. As if to distract my troubled mind, the monster buck of earlier sightings came out into the field at 200 yards again, stood for a moment then turned and headed away. What a monarch!

After about twenty minutes I realized the breeze had started a gentle blow from the west and my scent would be drifting towards where I hoped my buck was down. I got down and went to the place he had been standing, changing my scent path and reassuring myself that there was indeed a decent blood trail. I marked the spot and then sat for another hour. I made up my mind to wait till noon, "When in doubt back out."

I met with Bob and told him the story. As we headed home past the spot my buck had gone into, we glassed to see if he was down and in sight. No luck.

The clock moved very slowly from 10:00 to 11:30. Bob fixed a fine breakfast and we lounged around camp. When I could not stand it any more, we headed up to try to find my deer. The blood trail was not what I've seen before from a femoral hit. It was there but not easy to follow. Bob stood at the last spot, Jim and I took turns blood trailing and scouting 20 yards ahead. It took forever (15 minutes) to proceed 60 yards to his wound bed. He had moved on from this spot and the blood trail was getting weaker, like a muscle hit starting to clot and dry up.

I have read that 70% of deer arrow hit in the chest are recovered and that the same 70% was true of hip hit deer. I tried to stay confident as we slowly picked out the continuing blood trail. After another 15 yards past the wound bed, Jim said, "Here he is!" My first thought was, "You are supposed to say, 'Here's blood', not 'Here he is', how rude. After all, we are still in sight of my stand and I can see almost all that you can see from there."

Then Jim took a couple more steps and yelled, "Wahoo!!!!". It finally sunk in. He was looking at my buck! Bob and I soon joined him to admired the gift.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »
The arrow had taken both femorals but the blood had been entering the body cavity, not pumping out. The sound I had heard from the stand was him expiring. Luck, mojo, overconfidence, practice, however I looked at it, my hunt was over. And what a prize!

And shared with good friends and admirable hunters Jim and Bob.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
Bob brought my truck around to within 50 yards of the spot as I got the insides outside. It was a short drag uphill and not that hard for me as you can see from this picture.

We had been invited for dinner at Bwana's house that night and I skinned and caped the buck there while Jim and Bob returned afield for the afternoon hunt. I gave Bob all my limited insights into the routines of the monarch buck and he hung a stand to try for him when the wind comes back south. We dined on slow cooked venison over brown rice with fresh oatmeal cookies for desert.

Jim and Bob remain on the river bottom looking for story book monster bucks. I have returned home to get on with my landowner tag hunt, trapping and chores. Best of luck to them. For me it was as good as it gets. What a spell of whitetail hunting! Life is good.

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
Congrats Shaun!!!      :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »
Awsome story and pics.. Great job   :clapper:      :clapper:      :clapper:      :clapper:
  Is that the same self bow you brought to Ohio?

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
Great deer Shaun and awesome story-telling...Pics had us there with you....Hope we all have some of that luck in Texas....Don and Skyler   :clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »
Great story and pictures!  Congratulations on an awesome hunt!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Minuteman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
Eeyup that's good stuff.  I'm glad the errant shot resulted in such a short blood trail. Congratulations on a great hunt!
There sure is alot of air around a squirrel...eeyup.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
Excellent! Congrats Shaun!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
Great Shaun, congratulations bud , good story

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »
Wow wow wow