3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Man, I Wish I would have never....  (Read 620 times)

Offline Desperado

• Trad Bowhunter
Man, I Wish I would have never....
« on: November 02, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
I just flew home  from a bow hunt on my sister-in-law and brother-in-law's farm in south-central Kentucky with no success.It was awful!! Way too many coyotes!!! I did however leave my stand after shooting a squirrel arrow into the ground for practice.As I went to retrieve my arrow  I saw a nice 8 point browsing my way from 35 yards. He hadn't seen me or heard me. Eventually he presented no clean shot from the ground and all I could think of was "Man...I wish I would never have come down right then"!!!
Anybody else want to share my pain by completing the following.."Man Oh man...Looking back over the seasons I really wish I would never have...."
Go on!!! Give it a shot!!!Thanks Cotton

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Man, I Wish I would have never....
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 12:46:00 AM »
......missed that doe on opening morning.

:)

--c--
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 07:24:00 AM »
if you havent had that feeling you havent hunted long
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 07:51:00 AM »
That happened to me years back,after lowering my bow to the ground the buck appeared coming towards me when I was half way down the tree.There I was hugging the tree and just watched him walk away,it happens.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 08:07:00 AM »
There have been several times when I got down because I just thought nothing was happening. After walking 100 yrds away and looking back at my stand and see a nice buck right under it. Thats huntin'
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »
I lowered my bow to the ground one morning about 10:00. As soon as it hit the ground I heard that familiar crunch, crunch of foot steps from behind my tree. A spike and a 4 point walked over my bow on the ground.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 08:57:00 AM »
One time was bored,seeing nothing, took a shot a a squirrel, and was blasted out of my stand by a big 8 point behind me I hadnt seen. Since then, if deer hunting, I deer hunt! What part of KY were you hunting, I live in South Central KY, near the Tenn. border, PM me on your hunt location. Deer down here this year dont have to move much, tons of acorns everywhere you go, so hunters arent seeing large numbers of deer moving.
samuel koger

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »
Eric That is called a snair!!!LOL
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
I had a beautiful chocolate antlered 8 pnt come into my rattling last season. He presented a 15 yd shot as he was licking my Doc's Doe in Heat rag hung on a barb wire fence. I shot just under him, and he wasn't spooked at all. Just turned and slowly walked up the trail dead away from me. He wouldn't come back in to a grunt sequence. I only had two arrows with me, and boy was I sick from the miss b/c I had missed a beautiful 8 pnt the night before on the ground on another property I was hunting.

Needless to say my season was in shambles at this point. So I removed my second (only) arrow from my quiver, picked a leaf out right where the buck was standing and stuck it good. Man did that make me even sicker!

So I hang my bow up, climb down, grab my arrows, climb back up the ladder, and still holding my two arrows in hand and bow hung up I turn around and there he stands 25 yards up the path he left on. HE WAS COMING BACK IN AND I WAS CLIMBING UP MY STUPID LADDER! He just stared at me with a "you DumbA##" look on his face, and he went the other way.

Offline Desperado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing your pain...Isn't it a party???? Cotton

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
I shot a groundhog from my stand and it rolled all around the area dying.  As luck my have it a nice 8 pt comes down the same path, smells the goundhog and reverses direction.

I'll never shoot another animal again while deer hunting.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Paul D. Heppner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
Whitey! it's your practice shot, leave it and get it on the way out. Oh man, where's your coal pile when you need it? Looks like you had better luck than I this weekend anyways.

Best of luck my friend.

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 12:16:00 PM »
Monday morning with a good wind coming from the South sweeping over a bedding area before it my treestand a slight pungent odor hit my nose.  It was a musky livestock smell and a thought occurred to me, "That might be a nearby rutting buck."  When the clock ticked to 10:45 a.m. after having sat there since 5:45 a.m. I decided nothing was going to venture past the stand so I began my escape and plan my next set up.  When I reached the ground I was greeted by a loud snort!  Though I didn't see him he was close enough to see me and must have been slowly working his way towards me.  Doh!
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by koger:
One time was bored,seeing nothing, took a shot a a squirrel, and was blasted out of my stand by a big 8 point behind me I hadnt seen. Since then, if deer hunting, I deer hunt! What part of KY were you hunting, I live in South Central KY, near the Tenn. border, PM me on your hunt location. Deer down here this year dont have to move much, tons of acorns everywhere you go, so hunters arent seeing large numbers of deer moving.
Sam, I just got back from your neck of the woods,Daniel Boone National Forest was absolutely full of acorns...more than I've ever seen anywere,including Land Between the lakes...but also more turkeys than anyplace I've ever been...they were literally everywere & the only turkey tags I have left are only good for a week in December....  :bigsmyl:  Some of the prettiest country I've ever seen...
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline SilverTip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
I shot a nice little 8 pointer a few years ago and a friend was filming the hunt from another tree. He never said a word but when we got back to the studio he palyed the film and there was a near boone and crocket buck 15 yards behind me when I took the shot. I never even heard him when he ran off. it kinda made me sick but I was still thankful for what I got.

Billy
If Jesus Christ guides your arrow, its really hard to miss.  Billy

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »
I was going to wait another couple of moments before quitting for the evening. Needless to say I nearly stepped on one coming down which I realized when it blew!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
Cottonwood so you are the culprit. I actually go by that same handle name on ***********. I tried to use it here but someone had it already.LOL
I have moved stands only to have nice deer walk right under the place I moved from. It's a bittersweet feeling. When I am deer hunting I just watch the squirrels.

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
Struggling for my first trad pig. Had a big oinker come out on an open trail. Stop broadside and look around in the opposite direction. I kept sneaking into position closer and closer, drew for a shot and it ran off growling. I realized my yardage and I had crept into about 8 yards. It came out around 15. Why I tried to close the distance I don't know. I can shoot fine out to twenty. But I sure felt stupid. The targets seem right close, but in the woods with an animal they just look a mile away.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline bowless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 08:48:00 PM »
Wished I'd grabbed my bow from the hanger before turning to see what that scraping sound was.
Isaiah 53:5  and with his stripes we are healed.

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
I was sitting in my stand about 150 yds uphill from my dad. I saw two really nice bucks slowly working their way uphil in a clearing about 300yds to my right. I knew I could get around the back side of the hill and wait them out and get the shot--I knew just exactly where they were going (right!!).  Later that morning, I met my dad back at the truck. He asked why I got out of my stand and I told him what I had seen. His reply was that those two bucks turned and took a path right under my stand and he was wondering why I hadnt shot them-----Never leave your stand in hopes of obtaining the one on the other side!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©